Advantages of using an oil catch can! Here's the proof. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advantages of using an oil catch can! Here's the proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Supertech Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30.

It looks reddish in the picture because the canister is black anodized.

There's you problem right there. You should be using Hypertech Megaadvanced Triple Syntec.

There's you problem right there. You should be using Hypertech Megaadvanced Triple Syntec.

Screenshot_20210924-124210_Chrome.jpg

Maybe a little. It just occurs to me that someone who buys oil called Superadvancedwhatever will probably buy every catch can and pitch can that comes down the pike. It's what my more cynical friends call "a marketer's dream".

Maybe a little. It just occurs to me that someone who buys oil called Superadvancedwhatever will probably by every catch can and pitch can that comes down the pike. It's what my more cynical friends call "a marketer's dream".
Yes if the said marketing is to sell an overpriced product....although your argument breaks down here since Walmart's oil typically is much cheaper than the "name" brands ie. M1 EP, etc., which partake in their far share of marketing fluff....so Troll on Trolly!

Plus, a lot of budget oils are produced by the same manufacturers as many more expensive oils. The performance between them is nearly identical.

Maybe a little. It just occurs to me that someone who buys oil called Superadvancedwhatever will probably by every catch can and pitch can that comes down the pike. It's what my more cynical friends call "a marketer's dream".
So let's say you're right. People that buy these kind of oils will buy every catch can made on earth. Me included. What's the harm being done?

So let's say you're right. People that buy these kind of oils will buy every catch can made on earth. Me included. What's the harm being done?

None at all, nor did ever imply otherwise. The economy needs you. :)

After 5k miles with the catch can. About 2/3 of the 3oz can filled. Is the sludge concerning?
20211120_120746.jpg
20211120_120551.jpg

Oil catch cans are a bunch of crap and a waste of time. Run good synthetic oil, magnetic drain plug, and change your oil every 5-7k miles and you will be good. All others is just a waste.

Oil catch cans are a bunch of crap and a waste of time. Run good synthetic oil, magnetic drain plug, and change your oil every 5-7k miles and you will be good. All others is just a waste.
I differ on that opinion. If you do a lot of local driving, short trips etc... where the engine does not completely warm up then whatever is blowing back into the intake will not burn up as well as one would want and that can lead to future issues. I agree that with frequent oil changes sludge won't be a problem but I think its not a bad idea for a short trip engine

After 5k miles with the catch can. About 2/3 of the 3oz can filled. Is the sludge concerning?
The can catches a combination of oil and water. This can make the liquid look milky. Everything you intercept with the can would have been sucked into the intake track. This will help prevent long term issues of oil pooling in the intake and carbon buildup on the intake valves, in combustion chambers and the exhaust side of the turbo(s). There is no downside to using a catch can. Only an upside. Especially so on a forced induction engine.

I differ on that opinion. If you do a lot of local driving, short trips etc... where the engine does not completely warm up then whatever is blowing back into the intake will not burn up as well as one would want and that can lead to future issues. I agree that with frequent oil changes sludge won't be a problem but I think its not a bad idea for a short trip engine
Turbos and superchargers create more combustion blowby past the pistons than N/A engines anytime boost is present. This is why catch cans are a good addition to forced induction engines. Even then, the higher compression ratio of newer direct injection N/A engines can benefit from installing a catch can.

Turbos and superchargers create more combustion blowby past the pistons than N/A engines anytime boost is present. This is why catch cans are a good addition to forced induction engines. Even then, the higher compression ratio of newer direct injection N/A engines can benefit from installing a catch can.

I have owned 100s of turbo vehicles and again they serve no purpose. Put it in sport mode blow the soot and carbon out under 17-20 lbs of boost. You will not have an issue with the need of excessive hydrocarbons building in the manifolds and throttle bodies. Again, most of the issues with a catch can are made by low mileage vehicles that tend to putt around. I would not put a catch can on a modern turbo vehicle and will not run one. To each their own but you are really doing no benefits to your engine other than bypassing the crank case pressure ventilation system.

I have owned 100s of turbo vehicles and again they serve no purpose. Put it in sport mode blow the soot and carbon out under 17-20 lbs of boost. You will not have an issue with the need of excessive hydrocarbons building in the manifolds and throttle bodies. Again, most of the issues with a catch can are made by low mileage vehicles that tend to putt around. I would not put a catch can on a modern turbo vehicle and will not run one. To each their own but you are really doing no benefits to your engine other than bypassing the crank case pressure ventilation system.
You are wrong. Especially regarding today's GDI, forced induction engines. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing that carbon buildup on GDI engines is a major issue. This is fact. Otherwise, what other reason have auto manufacturers started using dual port injection? Installing a catch can can only do good for an engine. How much good you might be able to debate over.

You are wrong. Especially regarding today's GDI, forced induction engines. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing that carbon buildup on GDI engines is a major issue. This is fact. Otherwise, what other reason have auto manufacturers started using dual port injection? Installing a catch can can only do good for an engine. How much good you might be able to debate over.

Okay youtuber internet super heros say it is so, so it must be. It is BS like unicorns and leprechauns. I have owned and do own 500+ hp turbo cars/ trucks and I never ran them in any of them. Most sub 10 second rides. You need more research or application that involves building motors.

Okay youtuber internet super heros say it is so, so it must be. It is BS like unicorns and leprechauns. I have owned and do own 500+ hp turbo cars/ trucks and I never ran them in any of them. Most sub 10 second rides. You need more research or application that involves building motors.
You talk a lot but you're not saying much. Answer one question for me. Why have most automakers gone to using dual port fuel injection on their GDI engines?

You talk a lot but you're not saying much. Answer one question for me. Why have most automakers gone to using dual port fuel injection on their GDI engines?

Because they build carbon soot crap mobiles like BMW/ VW/ Audi. Even they are using more high composite materials in their engines to reduce the problems that you are talking about. Buy a vehicle from this decade then it won't have an issue, the problems you speak of are found on 10-15 years old motors. No amount of K&N filters or Oil Catch cans are going to save a 100-200k mile motor from any long term effects. Only taking care of the oil changes and routine maintenance will. Oil catch cans serve a purpose on older rides but again it is like a band aid covering other issues. Ethanol is more of an enemy to old rides then uncontrollable oil sludge build up. I have rebuild many an intake on 99-2010 rides all caused mainly from poor maintenance and ethanol build up.

but to answer your question they do this to get a more clean combustion and get more complete burn. Same reason why Dodge uses 2 spark plugs in their Hemi motors per cylinder and the Ford 6.2 liter boss does the same. Reduces emissions and improves fuel economy. I have already prepared for the future and that is EV. Everything in the next 10 years will be EV. I plan to keep my sentimental STI since it is worth more now than what I paid for it when new in 2016.

The future is EV. Period, especially with Porsche and Tesla building sub 8 second quarter rides.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back