Cabin air filter air flow direction? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin air filter air flow direction?

Atxjmy512

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I have a 2018 Explorer. I just replaced the CAF - what I presume was the original factory filter (I bought the car previously owned). The previous filter’s air flow direction arrow was pointing up, so that’s what I did as well. However I’ve since gone down a YouTube rat hole and seeing some conflicting info. I’m now unsure of my direction choice. Any thoughts on correct direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that the airflow should be up from the blower and through the filter. That makes sense to me.

Peter

No, arrow should be down as the fresh air is from the cowl area, down through the filter then to the fan and coils for heating or cooling.
Robert

No, arrow should be down as the fresh air is from the cowl area, down through the filter then to the fan and coils for heating or cooling.
Robert
In a duplicate thread (deleted) he mentioned he felt the air from the blower moving upwards.

Peter

The air flow is down. If it were the other way, how does the debris end up on the top side of the filter? The debris is filtered before it gets to the fan and the coils..

The air flow is down. If it were the other way, how does the debris end up on the top side of the filter? The debris is filtered before it gets to the fan and the coils..
I'm only repeating what the OP mentioned, that he felt the air from the blower moving upwards. I let the dealer do all my maintenance so I really don't know. I just read the Manual and it does seem that the air moves in a downward direction. BTW, I never have my vehicles long enough to have that filter changed. :)

Peter

Appeciate the input. Both make sense to me. I did feel wind blowing upward, but then again I’ve never seen another car with the filter pointing up for the reasons pointed out. Looks like I’m taking it apart again.

Any clue why so many factory installed filters are pointing up?

Because if you look at the filter there is very little or no difference between the sides. And the $50 an hour auto assemblers have better things to do than look at the little arrow when they slap the filter into the box. /sarcasm

Fritz

Arrow pointed down in both my wife's Liberty and my Explorer.

Hello,

It is time to replace my CF11176 cabin air filter and I have watched several YouTube videos but there is no consensus on where the arrow should be pointed. Should it be up or down? several videos show the factory filter arrow pointed up but a lot also claim the air comes from the top and the arrow should be down? I am confused...

Thank you

Hello,

It is time to replace my CF11176 cabin air filter and I have watched several YouTube videos but there is no consensus on where the arrow should be pointed. Should it be up or down? several videos show the factory filter arrow pointed up but a lot also claim the air comes from the top and the arrow should be down? I am confused...

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Search feature.
One thing that a video I just watched mentions is what exactly dies the arrow mean? Does it indicate the installation position or the air flow?

Peter

Flow is from top to bottom.
If the arrow is accompanied by 'air flow' or some text like that, then arrow down.

Back