• Register Today It's free!

4x4 swap

2003fordswap

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport trac xlt
Hello, new to group and saying Hello to all.

I have a project I’m wanting to start and looking for info and any one that may have done something similar.

2003 Sport Trac 4.0 2wd 310,000 miles. Motor has sadly went down.

2003 Explore Sport Trac 4.0 4x4 150,000 miles and was recently involved in roll over which totaled it. Family member was not injured, so all good on that.

I purchased the vehicle from insurance.

Wanting to swap motor and driveline from wrecked Explore to Sport Trac. From looking at them, all the 4x4 parts will move over.
Both are E code engines.
What will I need to do as far as any wiring changes, or other items I will need to move from Explore to Sport Trac for the 4x4.

Thank for any suggestions or pointers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 will bolt in
Rwd sports abs sport tracs still had all the holes up front for mounting the differential

Very easy project you have there everything will swap over
You will have to run the transfer case wiring harness down through the floor before putting the carpet in otherwise those
Two trucks basically exactly the same aside from the rwd vs 4wd front knuckles,
Missing from diff/cv axles and the missing t case wiring

You should post up pictures and details so the forum can help you overcome any obstacles you encounter

The 4x4 will bolt in
Rwd sports abs sport tracs still had all the holes up front for mounting the differential

Very easy project you have there everything will swap over
You will have to run the transfer case wiring harness down through the floor before putting the carpet in otherwise those
Two trucks basically exactly the same aside from the rwd vs 4wd front knuckles,
Missing from diff/cv axles and the missing t case wiring

You should post up pictures and details so the forum can help you overcome any obstacles you encounter

Thank you very much for the info.
Would you happen to have a wire diagram of where the wires needed will terminate. I removed the bezel on the 4x4 and looks like 4 wires go into the harness. I think one may go to fuse Box and 3 maybe to trans case, should the modules in dash be to the left of the radio be swapped and should I swap the computer from the 4x4 donor into the new build? I will get some photos up this weekend. Thank you again.

Pics will help
I can get the wiring info for the 4wd system sure
Since they are both 2003 it will make things easier, basically you can just install the newer 03 drivetrain and then wire in the 4wd system into the rwd truck
You/we need to see the 03 4wd system wiring schematics

Pics will help
I can get the wiring info for the 4wd system sure
Since they are both 2003 it will make things easier, basically you can just install the newer 03 drivetrain and then wire in the 4wd system into the rwd truck
You/we need to see the 03 4wd system wiring schematics

Where to hook up 4x4 switch wires? Thanks

93171D8F-F759-4C7B-887F-1E65742FF68C.jpeg

Back