Towing awd explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing awd explorer

I need to tow an explorer 1100 miles from San Diego to Wyoming behind a Silverado. Looking for options here.

I'm not too keen on giving money to uhaul for a flatbed. I'd rather find an option that allowed me to sell equipment at the destination.

So I know you can drop out the driveshafts.

But can you use a tow dolly to lift the front wheels and use speed dollies for the back?

Or use a tow dolly for the front and drop the driveshaft for the back?

Any of those options will work

Front tires on dolly with rear tires on speed dollies

Front tires on Dolly with rear d shaft removed

Or flatbed

It would be helpful to know what year explorer you are trying to tow as awd explorer could mean anything from 95-2020

Or flatbed

It would be helpful to know what year explorer you are trying to tow as awd explorer could mean anything from 95-2020
98 explorer awd 4 door v8

Or flatbed

Is there anything else I need to do to prep the explorer for a tow dolly but drop the rear driveshaft?
Could I drive it straight on the dolly using the front wheels after?

I don’t think so with the 4404 t case I am not sure the front will pull you anywhere with no rear driveshaft
The 4404 awd t case is not like a traditional 4wd system it uses a viscous clutch to send some power up front
However you can pull the front driveshaft and put the truck on a tow dolly that way.
With the front d shaft removed it will act much like a rwd explorer. Do not park it on a hill w no front d shaft or it will creep.
With no front d shaft you should now be able to tow dolly it….. but

Now I have never flat towed or tow dollied a awd 5.0 explorer I have always used a car hauler so before you do any of that let’s do a Google search for flat towing w the 4404
Or wait for somebody else to chime in here

Back