Aftermarket wheel reliability | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheel reliability

Our '95 has the Ford factory steel wheels (chrome tri-spoke), and our '01 Sport has the factory aluminum wheels.
My question is: Are the lug nuts the same? I'm talking about the angle/bevel of the lug nut, the part that actually comes in contact with the rim.
Are these angles the same?
This is almost never a concern unless I put a spare on the ground. The spare for the '95 is aluminum, and the spare for the '01 is steel, I believe.

By the way, I usually lube this surface before I torque. I hear some pops and snaps during the torquing process If these surfaces are dry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My KMC rims lug aftermarket nuts are for sure not the same chamfer shape as the factory aluminum lug nuts are.

Never heard or seen about factory lug nut good fitment on aftermarket rims.

Our '95 has the Ford factory steel wheels (chrome tri-spoke), and our '01 Sport has the factory aluminum wheels.
My question is: Are the lug nuts the same? I'm talking about the angle/bevel of the lug nut, the part that actually comes in contact with the rim.
This is almost never a concern unless I put a spare on the ground. The spare for the '95 is aluminum, and the spare for the '01 is steel, I believe.

By the way, I usually lube this surface before I torque. I hear some pops and snaps during the torquing process If these surfaces are dry.
I went over this with pro comp, they claimed they aren't the correct seat type but they are, 60 degree conical. Same as the ones they recommend. I'm still waiting on a email response from Friday when I talked to them last.

There is a lot of 60 degrees lug nut types...

As far as 60 degree conical go, only one type

tech.info_.4.gif

The angle of the seat for all Ford lugnuts is the same, but there are different shapes of the rest of them. There were small lugnuts put onto most base level Explorers, but a large type for those with aluminum wheels and/or center caps that attached to the nuts. Those large ones are my favorites for wheels with the center caps, they have a larger seating surface, same angle but it grows out more, heavier and stronger.

Exactly...there is more that one 60 degree nuts.

The same chamfer angle never refers to the whole chamfer dimensions

The angle of the seat for all Ford lugnuts is the same, but there are different shapes of the rest of them. There were small lugnuts put onto most base level Explorers, but a large type for those with aluminum wheels and/or center caps that attached to the nuts. Those large ones are my favorites for wheels with the center caps, they have a larger seating surface, same angle but it grows out more, heavier and stronger.
The flanged is the one I used for that reason. I made sure it fit well on the wheel before I bolted them up

That's a good description of those, they have a ring of steel out away from the mounting surface, and the seats are much larger. I have never hurt one of those, but the small ones seem to get rounded or scarred up after many years and different tires etc, I try to not use those. Those small size are also what you will find at parts stores if you hunt there.

That's a good description of those, they have a ring of steel out away from the mounting surface, and the seats are much larger. I have never hurt one of those, but the small ones seem to get rounded or scarred up after many years and different tires etc, I try to not use those. Those small size are also what you will find at parts stores if you hunt there.
I believe the flanged type ones are zinc coated the other smaller style has a stainless skin crimped on it and usually that's the issue.

Yes they are gold, plated with something for corrosion etc. I have had the other type also, with the aluminum cover, those came on all Mark VII's. The lugnuts were smaller than the socket needed, and the cover added size to them. When those got loose, they fell off, and then the lug wrench did not fit well. I tossed/scrapped all of those and bought new McGard nut kits. Those kits are great, I have about four of those, on my nicer wheels.

Pro comp got back with me, won't do a refund, they are sending me another new set, and I'm sending my old ones back to them. I'll be selling the new set to get some money back from this mistake. A set of ions are on the way to replace them.

You should have no problem selling those wheels. Too bad they won't just take them back and refund you. So many business act like retaining customers isn't desirable nowadays, like there are not a few thousand wheel manufacturers to chose from.

I'm going to pitch a shop that I try to purchase every big auto related item through. The reason is whenever something goes wrong, he makes it right, even if he has to eat it. Example, he wholesaled me a set of custom made 14" coil over shocks because I was displeased with a set I got through him from a different manufacturer. The shock company has set pricing so I can't provide any more details than that. Davesoffroadsupply.com. I have bought thousands of dollars of parts through him (Atlas III, shocks, tires, etc.). He beat 4WP's sale price for my last set of tires. You can email him, Dave@davesoffroadsupply.com, tell him what you want, and you are from the Explorer Forum.

You should have no problem selling those wheels. Too bad they won't just take them back and refund you. So many business act like retaining customers isn't desirable nowadays, like there are not a few thousand wheel manufacturers to chose from.

I'm going to pitch a shop that I try to purchase every big auto related item through. The reason is whenever something goes wrong, he makes it right, even if he has to eat it. Example, he wholesaled me a set of custom made 14" coil over shocks because I was displeased with a set I got through him from a different manufacturer. The shock company has set pricing so I can't provide any more details than that. Davesoffroadsupply.com. I have bought thousands of dollars of parts through him (Atlas III, shocks, tires, etc.). He beat 4WP's sale price for my last set of tires. You can email him, Dave@davesoffroadsupply.com, tell him what you want, and you are from the Explorer Forum.
Is he on ebay? when I look up that website, it doesn't pull up. Good businesses and companies are something I'll gladly support.

I checked the wheel installation brochure for the replacement pro comps, states to use the factory torque spec and the ones listed are for when the others are not available, contradicting tech support. The new ions came in. I was curious about the thickness between the face of the wheel and the mounting flange differences. The pro comp is in the .8" range. The ion alloy is in the 1.3" range. Definitely alot more meat surrounding the lug nuts.

IMG_20220301_183626962.jpg IMG_20220302_170326850.jpg IMG_20220302_172956253.jpg IMG_20220302_173039495~2.jpg IMG_20220301_183614119.jpg

Back