Rodents eating my wiring harness. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rodents eating my wiring harness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To all the naysayers of extermination. What kind of towns and cities do you live in where you let rats and other vermin run free?
Great pains are taken to eradicate vermin in built up areas throughout the western world.
Towns/Cities/Rats/Vermins - different story.

That being said,

Peace out city bwoys ✌️

To all the naysayers of extermination. What kind of towns and cities do you live in where you let rats and other vermin run free?
Great pains are taken to eradicate vermin in built up areas throughout the western world.
A clean town. I haven't seen any rats around here in the 38 years that I've been here. A few mice at once that I trapped and released in an area without homes around. There are a few cats that roam around as I've seen their prints in the snow. There have been a few reports of rats in Ottawa but not to the extent that it has become a topic of discussion. I'm sure that is the case in most cities here.

Peter

A clean town. I haven't seen any rats around here in the 38 years that I've been here. A few mice at once that I trapped and released in an area without homes around. There are a few cats that roam around as I've seen their prints in the snow. There have been a few reports of rats in Ottawa but not to the extent that it has become a topic of discussion. I'm sure that is the case in most cities here.

Peter
I agree. That's why extermination of vermin is always ongoing. You, and I are seeing the benefits of those ongoing efforts.

There are lots of mice in my area, largely due to living next to a field and a wooded area, and also that field used to be a wooded area.

I've not had much damage from them, except on one very seldom driven vehicle a nest was made under the engine cover (but no noticable wire damage, vehicle still ran fine), and somehow one got into a vehicle and shat all over the interior... then the door seal leaked, and rain made a disgusting mess. I had a junkyard haul the vehicle off, didn't want to get in it ever again. Fortunately it wasn't worth much more than scrap value before the mess was made.

I'd rather not poison them for another reason. Turkey Vultures. I don't want the mice dying in the yard, getting eaten, then have dead vultures. I can leave a mouse to rot (or a cat will drag it away, around here the cats are too domesticated to eat them) but a vulture is a bit too large to leave lying around.

I'm good with exterminating the rats as long as it is done safely. The biggest issue is that they are a renewable resource and you won't get them all. If steps aren't taken to deny them access to the area or deter them from chewing you will still have problems no matter how many you kill.

Here's one for the country baws.
Or Sweet Home Alabama every time I head to the farm(which has a barn cat in every out building and equipment shed), or to visit kin down round south east

This has a lot of good ratings:
If it works it would be a good solution. But looking at the reviews none that I read are for this product.

If it works it would be a good solution. But looking at the reviews none that I read are for this product.

Good call. I am removing the listing. Looks like a bait and switch.

Having sustained damage to a prevoius vehicle while it was parked in the garage I decided to purchase one of these.
The sounds are actually amusing. I found it on amazon, model ZN-666, that's even more amusing.

ZN-666.jpg

I agree. That's why extermination of vermin is always ongoing. You, and I are seeing the benefits of those ongoing efforts.
My extermination technique is with an FX Wildcat .25 PCP air rifle.
I have 400 acres behind me and before I go to bed at night I enjoy the pleasure of dispatching whatever mice/rat population is in my FLIR thermal scopeup to 75 yards! Such a relaxing pleasure to know that I have helped our neighbors. I don't hear them complain about all the lil critters in their garage/shed/home any more except for the occasional "Hey ya missed one this month Buddy!"

I'd rather not poison them for another reason. Turkey Vultures. I don't want the mice dying in the yard, getting eaten, then have dead vultures. I can leave a mouse to rot (or a cat will drag it away, around here the cats are too domesticated to eat them) but a vulture is a bit too large to leave lying around.
The dose makes the poison. The active ingredient in those rodenticides is so low (Decon is 50 parts per million, for instance) that the mouse/rat would have to eat a handfull of it to kill a turkey vulture. The rodents are bleeding out long before they've ingested enough to kill the next larger predator in the food chain.

^ I'm not so sure if that is true for the second generation anticoagulants? Besides, what if the vulture eats more than one?

The dose makes the poison. The active ingredient in those rodenticides is so low (Decon is 50 parts per million, for instance) that the mouse/rat would have to eat a handful of it to kill a turkey vulture. The rodents are bleeding out long before they've ingested enough to kill the next larger predator in the food chain.
I refuse to poison any of the mice or rats. We have hawks, owls, turkey vultures and crows. At least when I dispatch at 75 yards that pellet is still traveling right through them and I know that the wildlife will not even be eating the lead.

I parked my '93 Explorer outside for a year with the half doors on. Our neighbors cat made a home in the truck and I never had rodent problems with that vehicle :D Cat was clean too. Never peed in the truck.

tiger.jpg

I parked my '93 Explorer outside for a year with the half doors on. Our neighbors cat made a home in the truck and I never had rodent problems with that vehicle :D Cat was clean too. Never peed in the truck.

View attachment 426894
Nice to have a neighborhood guard cat. Looks a lot like my two.

Rodents have eaten my wiring harness for the third time now, it cost me over 3,300. My vehicle is brand new yet it is not covered under warranty. The wiring harness is made out of soybean which attracts the rodents, yet the Ford is not liable for any of these problems.View attachment 426579

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"There is a clever solution in a TSB from Honda: rodent-deterrent tape, essentially an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which Honda describes as “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) comes in a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards, and it is available through dealers and available online ($43)."

Back