5 speed manual swap HELP!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual swap HELP!!!

Maybe thats my bad I said use a 91 computer but you have a 94... I edited my post geese. There is a separate loom for the manual trans though and the correct wires should already be removed... There's a connection its not just one super long harness. It's underneath or side of the trans. No mods at all except when ford maybe have piggybacked 1 wire for the clutch. I'm pretty sure it's plug and play though if you have the manual harness. You will know if the truck doesnt start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure there's a connectionector that does the pin removal for you like its the same male with different female pugs for auto/ manual with the pins already removed... I did not mean to say to run and tune the 91 computer but use the 94.. Not getting all caught up in the details but you will throw a code IF YOU ARE RUNNING A 91 MANUAL COMPUTER ON A 94 OR RUNNING A 94 COMPUTER MEANT FOR AN AUTO ON A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. A third new computer is needed for the manual trans for a 94 with correct trim level and the harness that connects the trans harness to the main harness is needed that's all....otherwise try the impossible and tune basically any computer for a 1st gen.
No need for caps. No one reading this thread is confused about getting codes by running the wrong computer. Waaaaaay past that point.

What a third new computer?

Okay yes you can turn your auto trans harness into the manual harness.
Yes I unpin all the now not needed a4ld wires

It is really silly on the first gens how the neutral safety and starting circuit run to the trans then back to the truck and in a loop… when you put it all down an paper and then make a new 5 speed harness you can eliminate all of those loops and simplify the wiring

It is really silly on the first gens how the neutral safety and starting circuit run to the trans then back to the truck and in a loop… when you put it all down an paper and then make a new 5 speed harness you can eliminate all of those loops and simplify the wiring

He’s yelling that he needs a manual PCM out of a 94.

i dont thibk OP needs a new computer, as it will idke high to conpensate for torque converter and the auto trans, but it shoudl get them up and running until they can find a suitabel computer later down the line, right?

i dont thibk OP needs a new computer, as it will idke high to conpensate for torque converter and the auto trans, but it shoudl get them up and running until they can find a suitabel computer later down the line, right?
The idea is not to have a check engine light. 410Fortune mentioned tricking the computer into thinking the auto trans is still there, I’m sure that’s a viable option.

oh, alright! yeah i think they can reflash pcm... not 100% sure

Well it looks like I can get a 94 pcm for manual trans for only $150 which is very doable for me and I cannot have any CEL what so ever. I reside in phoenix az and it will need to go through emissions to get updated tags. If there is a cel it’s a automatic fail
If you insure it with a collectors policy no more AZ emissions...

, but it shoudl get them up and running until they can find a suitabel computer
Totally, the computer controls the idle with the iac valve I think it won't throw any codes for the motor but a couple codes will come up for the transmission only it will run fine with those codes. I'm just saying the A4ld shifts electronicly and I believe uses input/output shaft rpm sensors.. U could technically use any computer for a first gen but it will throw those codes. Like circuit open/rpm low transmission. Whatever the codes are. I'm wondering how the slave cylender will fit next to the brake booster? Maybe someone who has done this swap could drop some knowledge on me. I have not done this swap or tuned my explorer since both are expensive. Obd1 is just too difficult to work with since there isn't many options for explorers.

oh, alright! yeah i think they can reflash pcm... not 100%
Depends on what your trying to do either way if your trying to tune a pre like 99 explorer it's going to involve modifying the computer itself if you want more power it would take me a year easy to tear down and reverse engineer that computer along with completely modifying the factory computer. Idk if there is that big of a market for a tuned factory style pcm for 1991/1999 explorers... I suppose I could sell them for about $1000+ each but the difficulty with that whole process is at wot nobody will get any extra power the computer already ignores all the sensors and gives a wide injector pulse the motor already is giving all its got... It would be a rip off... To tune anyones explorer with power adders like turbo/cam would be an insane amount of work. Tweecers can give you more fuel for additional fuel for something like that. Idk I suppose I could tune ecu's but that wouldn't do anything more than what higher # injectors would do at wot where st/lt fuel trims could handle. If you cant put new injectors in just totally stock motor ur looking at a very minimal power gain. You want to delete a cel it could be done by soldering in a resistor or just adding it to a wire. I could easily remove every cel on any 91/94 (because that's what I have) probably within a week but keep in mind the light would only come on when u turn the key to see if the light is operational.... Would work for all manual swaps all years... 1000$ for that price you would get the 165hp from the 94 Computer + no core charge so u can swap back to the normal pcm when you're having issues to pull codes...

If you guys want, I could tear down a few explorer computers and make a program for you to play with. Injection pulse, idle speed, fuel trim ECT I would charge 1000+ for the kit with unlimited tuning.... It won't do any good but you could play with it all you want and connect it to your computer. Chances are you will foul out your cats or the rings. Could possibly involve soldering a new semiconductor each time it's tuned depending on if I can erase the data but I would basically remove any encryption 91/98 and allow you to easily put in your own data.... Do you think 30+ people would buy that to make up for my time? I worked for the company that invented Android technology they are gazillionares by now and am REALLY good at building computers from the ground up. I could sell you a raspberry pi 4 where you could run the whole truck and tune it from your phone.

I don’t think your info is terribly accurate, and I certainly don’t see anyone paying you a 1,000+ for something you say is next to impossible.

Tuning a 96+ computer isn’t any kind of rocket science and has been done for years. And they’ll do it with the warm fuzzy feeling of it not ruining their motor or cats.

I did my first a4ld to 5 speed swap in 1995 I think it was
Took me half a day to locate the needed 93 pcm at a junk yard for $45

I have done many many since
Finding the 94 pcm you need these days is even easier with the internet you can even have your 94 pcm Re flashed to be a 5 speed

Don’t over complicate things this is a 99% bolt up conversion

The master cylinder bolts to the truck as does the pedal assembly

The auto transmission trucks are even pre wired for the 3 position clutch switch

I mean this was like one of the first things we did to these trucks back in the day, it is not complex

There are
Probably 50000 rangers out there running around with old a4ld trouble codes still lighting up their cel and the 4.0 and 5 speed is happy as can be.

If for emissions you need no cel, well that is easy too. Fool pcm to think the ol a4ld is there, find a good 5 speed pcm, or Re flash to forget it

The a4ld uses a kick down cable and vacuum modulator, not iss and oss sensors… again let’s keep this simple

Totally, the computer controls the idle with the iac valve I think it won't throw any codes for the motor but a couple codes will come up for the transmission only it will run fine with those codes. I'm just saying the A4ld shifts electronicly and I believe uses input/output shaft rpm sensors.. U could technically use any computer for a first gen but it will throw those codes. Like circuit open/rpm low transmission. Whatever the codes are. I'm wondering how the slave cylender will fit next to the brake booster? Maybe someone who has done this swap could drop some knowledge on me. I have not done this swap or tuned my explorer since both are expensive. Obd1 is just too difficult to work with since there isn't many options for explorers.
nevermind, i was thinking like a 2nd genner ;)

I did my first a4ld to 5 speed swap in 1995 I think it was
Took me half a day to locate the needed 93 pcm at a junk yard for $45

I have done many many since
Finding the 94 pcm you need these days is even easier with the internet you can even have your 94 pcm Re flashed to be a 5 speed

Don’t over complicate things this is a 99% bolt up conversion

The master cylinder bolts to the truck as does the pedal assembly

The auto transmission trucks are even pre wired for the 3 position clutch switch

I mean this was like one of the first things we did to these trucks back in the day, it is not complex

There are
Probably 50000 rangers out there running around with old a4ld trouble codes still lighting up their cel and the 4.0 and 5 speed is happy as can be.

If for emissions you need no cel, well that is easy too. Fool pcm to think the ol a4ld is there, find a good 5 speed pcm, or Re flash to forget it

The a4ld uses a kick down cable and vacuum modulator, not iss and oss sensors… again let’s keep this simple
Do you happen to know where the wiring is hiding for the clutch switch? Or is it not really needed?

3 position clutch switch should be hanging under your dash near the foot brake /; parking brake
For the 91-94 automatic trucks they simply plugged in a jumper

The 3 position clutch switch does the following:
1. disables the neutral safety circuit until the clutch is pressed in, NSS allows the starter to run
2. Disables the cruise control when you push the clutch in so the engine does not over rev
3. Allows you to shift into low range 4wd if you have a touch drive ESOF transfer case. Stopped, clutch in, shift in and out of 4 low

When you convert a 91-94 from auto to manual you should add the stock clutch switch to your new master cylinder pushrod and simply unplug the factory jumper and plug in the clutch switch

Agreed, I don't think anything could be gained from modifying a pre 96 computer and the price to get it flashed is not worth it. Tbh the computer was not that great anyhow in the first gen as long as your using the correct style computer the trans probably will not cause a code but you have the best year I wouldn't see a 91 actually coding if you did swap out the trans and use that computer it just either will work great or not run at all.

3 position clutch switch should be hanging under your dash near the foot brake /; parking brake
For the 91-94 automatic trucks they simply plugged in a jumper

The 3 position clutch switch does the following:
1. disables the neutral safety circuit until the clutch is pressed in, NSS allows the starter to run
2. Disables the cruise control when you push the clutch in so the engine does not over rev
3. Allows you to shift into low range 4wd if you have a touch drive ESOF transfer case. Stopped, clutch in, shift in and out of 4 low

When you convert a 91-94 from auto to manual you should add the stock clutch switch to your new master cylinder pushrod and simply unplug the factory jumper and plug in the clutch switch
Do you happen to know where I get new connector pins to rebuild the connectors for the trans harness? I think I found new NS pigtails but I can’t find anything for the gray and black circle plugs

Junk yard transmission

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back