Chasing the p0108 code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing the p0108 code

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 sport Trac 4.0
I'm wonder how I should approach this. I've done the plugs and wires, fuel filter, tried to find a vacuum leak with no success. Is it a bad cat? MAP- EGR valve? O2 sensor? I've got a loss of power, feels like something holding it back and it has a rough idle but not all the time. This morning when it was cold it didn't want to go at all chugged real bad took me about a mile to get up to 60. Motor has around 95 k the truck has 250k. Any help would be greatly appreciated thx

IMG_20220414_140756382.jpg IMG_20220414_140811489.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wonder how I should approach this. I've done the plugs and wires, fuel filter, tried to find a vacuum leak with no success. Is it a bad cat? MAP- EGR valve? O2 sensor? I've got a loss of power, feels like something holding it back and it has a rough idle but not all the time. This morning when it was cold it didn't want to go at all chugged real bad took me about a mile to get up to 60. Motor has around 95 k the truck has 250k. Any help would be greatly appreciated thx

View attachment 428581 View attachment 428582
map sensor?

View attachment 428581 View attachment 428582
I’d quit driving it. If it’s that underpowered something is wrong, and you might end up ruining the motor, or your cats.

After the car runs for awhile are the cats getting super hot or glowing?

map sensor?

I’d quit driving it. If it’s that underpowered something is wrong, and you might end up ruining the motor, or your cats.

After the car runs for awhile are the cats getting super hot or glowing?
I have not looked at them after a drive but I am getting rdy to go out and see if I can shake the exhaust around see if I can hear anything... After it warms up it gets better but I'm still only getting about half the power

I have not looked at them after a drive but I am getting rdy to go out and see if I can shake the exhaust around see if I can hear anything... After it warms up it gets better but I'm still only getting about half the power
It started either after I did a plug and wire change or the water pump I did them back to back. I did the plugs and wires again with no results

You’re 100% on the wire order?

You’re 100% on the wire order?
Yeah I've checked like 10 times. Ive been reading up on this problem for about a week now...it seems like there's multiple things that can cause this and everyone that has had success doesn't have the same remedy. I posted the pics of my code read. I know about the p0108 but the other 4 I'm not sure of

Have you traced out the harnesses? Some models have an issue with brittle wiring insulation that have caused a host of problems.

If it’s not a wiring issue, I’d suspect you’re getting too much fuel. If you clear the codes does the cylinder 1 misfire come right back?

injector dumping fuel? i suppose that could foul the cats, thus giving the other codes, and maybe the egr? not too sure on that one, but i think mbrooks may be onto something!

There's a YOUtube video site out there called "Just Rolled In" that had a video about this recently. It's posted on their Facebook page:

I doubt your exhaust system is stuffed with dog food as they show on there but the symptoms you describe could be a restricted intake or exhaust. Have you checked the air filter?

If you want some good laughs and maybe some what-not-to-do tips check out their YOUtube website: https://www.youtube.com/c/justrolledin

There's a YOUtube video site out there called "Just Rolled In" that had a video about this recently. It's posted on their Facebook page:

I doubt your exhaust system is stuffed with dog food as they show on there but the symptoms you describe could be a restricted intake or exhaust. Have you checked the air filter?

If you want some good laughs and maybe some what-not-to-do tips check out their YOUtube website: https://www.youtube.com/c/justrolledin
love justrolledin!!! r/justrolledintotheshop is also a source of amusement for me 🤣

Have you traced out the harnesses? Some models have an issue with brittle wiring insulation that have caused a host of problems.

If it’s not a wiring issue, I’d suspect you’re getting too much fuel. If you clear the codes does the cylinder 1 misfire come right back?
Ok so I was just out there listening under the hood and now that I've got it inside I can definitely hear a vacuum leak. It sounds like it's coming from under the plastic intake

I'm not sure I've only had it coded once they cleared them but the light came back on after about a mile

Ok so I was just out there listening under the hood and now that I've got it inside I can definitely hear a vacuum leak. It sounds like it's coming from under the plastic intake
intake gaskets then... replaced mine when they leaked... used fel-pro 90890 iirc, not sure if they fit youre 4th gen, asusme not, as i have the pretzel intake...

intake gaskets then... replaced mine when they leaked... used fel-pro 90890 iirc, not sure if they fit youre 4th gen, asusme not, as i have the pretzel intake...
Man I was hoping not to have to take that off.

if its comin from that area, most liekly its that... feel free to listen around though before pulling the trigger!

I know the air lines run under there. But yeah odds are the gasket.

i also had the IAC Y joint go bad on mine, so i replaced it at the same time, but im quite sure the 4th gens dont have it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update... The air leak I heard is actually coming from the o2 sensor in the cat. Does this mean the cat is clogged? Or if it's a rust hole would it make my truck run like crap?

Back