Any recommendations for black lug nuts with durable coating? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any recommendations for black lug nuts with durable coating?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if powder coating can work on wheels, i dont see why not lugs. @MuscleJunkie used powder on his saleens iirc

if powder coating can work on wheels, i dont see why not lugs. @MuscleJunkie used powder on his saleens iirc
Yea @Turdle did quite alot as well, not sure if still in operation though.

I wouldn't mind spline drive, as long as they are not a locking type, where a regular spline socket would work.

EDIT: I have the Gorilla system, and they are just horrible, rust, key gets stuck on the lug nut ect.

EDIT2: It probably doesn't help I have a 3/4" drive Milwaukee impact.

I did a clearcoat removal and treatment of the stock 17" aluminum wheels, and then painted black with a clearcoat on that. The tire guy was reluctant to put the bead weights on the wheels because they looked so good. so balanced with the bean bags for semi truck tires.

Only chip I have on one is the one on the roof rack from a tiedown.

Don’t use the impact. Especially to put them on. Cover them in painters tape.

Don’t use the impact. Especially to put them on. Cover them in painters tape.
The Mcgards are looking to be the best, I just really want to stay away from the locking types. Them Gorilla ones, the key gets stuck on them horribly, like having to use channel locks to get the key off the lug.

EDIT: Turdle still doing his thing? or has he been away for some time?

I see he's a moderator. So I will wait for reply.

I use McGard Splinedrives on my Paseo. I would not hesitate to recommend McGard.

I had Gorilla on before them. Corrosion inside the lugnuts was a minor issue.

As for protecting the finish, I seen videos online where people would take plastic grocery bags, put it over the lugnut, and then put the lug socket on.

As for powdercoating the lugnuts, the thickness of the coating might make the lug socket not fit on the lugnut.

Good to hear McGard is also recommended here. A friend mechanic is recommending them to my brother. The oe wheels on his incoming F150 are in bad shapes and he's looking to goat the lug nuts.

Back