• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack for 2016 PIU

brick8

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU 3.7
Has anyone found an aftermarket roof rack that can be installed on a 2016 PIU? I have done lots of searching and have not found any answers to this question. I guess the other alternative would be to find a junkyard rack off another fifth generation, but they seem to be unavailable in my area.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you looking for the crossbars, the rail along the body, or both? if its the crossbar, that can be found probably from thule or yakima, etc. found this, but not too sure if supports this and if yours has it, or if the second part listed is even a roof rail. maybe this could work https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...5792&HHYear=2016&HHMake=Ford&HHModel=Explorer

not too sure though, as I'm not familair with the PIU and am piecing this together based on what i see online. maybe someone can confirm or refute this!

however, i suspect if you can find supports and if you are a good welder, you could go the way gmanpaint went with his custom rack!!!

I don't believe that the PIU has side rails.
Has anyone found an aftermarket roof rack that can be installed on a 2016 PIU? I have done lots of searching and have not found any answers to this question. I guess the other alternative would be to find a junkyard rack off another fifth generation, but they seem to be unavailable in my area.

Thanks!
Just remember that whatever system you install, the maximum weight without a moonroof is 100 lb. With a moonroof it's 45 lb but I don't think many PIU's have a moonroof.

Peter

Peter is correct, my vehicle does not have any side rails. So, as far as i can see, the Yakima and Thule racks won't work. I don't want to weld something to the roof, either.

Still looking for a rack that will work on my PIU, which has a totally "naked" roof, so crossbar solutions alone will not work. Seems like there is plenty of dissatisfaction with the OEM roof racks anyway.

I came across these three options and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them or anything else that might work. Looking to transport two 10' kayaks for local trips.

Back