Pugly | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@KurtECV imagine you could but that's not something I would try to share, as it could go wrong for someone, and blame me for it. Pass.

@Rick that's awesome you did this, I had no idea. I didn't add a cooler yet. Was going to add my used 2nd gen cooler, but decided to get a new one, and do that later.
I wouldn't give out your measurements cause I am sure there are variations. But curious if that would work for the next guy. Much easier to swap pulleys on the bench.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I wouldn't give out your measurements cause I am sure there are variations. But curious if that would work for the next guy. Much easier to swap pulleys on the bench.
It would be. Guess you could get it started on the bench, and set it right once mounted. That would make that easier.

It would be. Guess you could get it started on the bench, and set it right once mounted. That would make that easier.
That is true too

Another few days of discussion and I will be able to do this blindfolded.

@Rick, I thought you had a old school Sag pump conversion and your pump is no longer available.

This Liberty pump being so much smaller than OEM, I think it will fit. If it doesn't, I would just have to source a like pump with a remote reservoir.

Where did you source the nylon washer for the pressure line?

@BKennedy
New o rings come with the pump and conversion kit.
Black and nylon both.

Do you want that pic and measure or not? Hate to give you too much info here. Sounds like you want to discover some of this yourself. 🤣

Just one more picture that shows how the pump sits in relationship to all the other stuff should do it for me. Never too much info, as far as vehicle mods go anyways.

@BKennedy Hope this helps!

Tape measure to fender lip to Resi bottle, give the same measure point. It's 13.5" to outermost (dr side) edge of Resi.

tape to fender.jpg

tape over at 13.5 inches.jpg

Looking down the side of the Resi, it looks to be a tad past the outside edge of the frame below. a straight edge down the resi hits the top of the ABS pump bracket.

Resi over frame far.jpg

Resi over frame close up.jpg

sag overhead 1.jpg

Another few days of discussion and I will be able to do this blindfolded.

@Rick, I thought you had a old school Sag pump conversion and your pump is no longer available.

I probably do. It's been in there since 2000.

pumpkin_saginaw.jpg
pumpkin_saginaw2.jpg

I was under the hood of the Explorer this morning. I have at least 3" clearance to the AC line from the battery and the coil over mount hoops so that Liberty pump should clear. I will be ordering parts soon. Thanks

Access to the reservoir appears to be easier with the new pump.

Just ordered everything on your list, plus an in-line filter to replace the one I already have. I'm just ordering parts right now, will see how long it takes for me to get around to doing this swap. Simple curosity to see how well it works will probably get the best of me and I will end up doing it soon.

Nice!!
An inline filter is a good thing. I need one too, as well as a 2nd gen cooler added to the return side. Someday! Lol
I have a small plate cooler I installed after the fluid was overheating and foaming. The cooler added nearly double the volume of fluid and that issue went away. I connected the cooler line to the OEM return line with the filter.

I have a small plate cooler I installed after the fluid was overheating and foaming. The cooler added nearly double the volume of fluid and that issue went away. I connected the cooler line to the OEM return line with the filter.
I added both of those to the other rig., and a 7" pusher fan in front of it, and the trans cooler. Works very well.

I have a 2nd gen steering cooler on hand that will fit easily on this rig, and a magnetic filter, plus plenty of new hose for it all. Just need to find time to do it!
I am behind on everything with these rigs, and just got a massive game changer of a job, contracted yesterday. Going to be a crazy summer/fall for me. lol

Hope your feeling better, and back to to 100% soon!

Posting this just in case, someone wants to avoid what happened here.....

So the other day coming home from work, during rush hour, entering an Interstate, the throttle stuck open.
Hammering the gas pedal 50x/second did nothing. Rpm's was climbing, and all I could do was down shift, and ride the brakes until it could see a place to pull over. Turned the ignition off, and coasted to a spot. Problem with this was there was only half a shoulder, as it was miles of road construction. Almost got taken out by a semi-truck as soon as I got out. OK, not safe here! Continued on by slapping it into gear after a Nuetral start, and ride the brakes as it went. A few miles later, smoke billowing from brake pads on fire, and I was able to get it somewhere safer. Not gonna lie... that terrified the crap out of me.

A visual inspection found nothing to be wrong with the cables anywhere. Then a light bulb went off. We had just worked on the power steering, and had the intake tube off.

Yanked it off, and sure enough.....

seal stuck in TB.jpg

That is the inner half of the stock intake tube seal. It separated itself from the outer half, and got sucked into the Throttle body, jamming the butterfly open.
I carry a roll of silicone radiator hose repair tape, in the tool bag. Used it to wrap around the OD of the TB intake until it was about 1/8" thick, and put the intake tube back on. All good, until I can find a decent seal at a salvage yard. They are not made any longer, and they only come with a new intake tube, which is also not made any longer. lol

This took "Burning In" the brake pads to another level. I need a new set now, which sucks as these was fairly new.

Wow, I hope that never happens again, and only the brake pads were killed.

I had a hanging throttle with my 93 OHV 4.0 that I never figured out. It wasn't from any object, something was holding it at WOT, and stamping the gas pedal a few times would stop it. I tried hard to never put the pedal to the floor, and I decommissioned that truck not long after(2005).

I might have that seal piece, I think my engine still has the hose on it.

Dang! You are lucky you didn't get hurt! Buy a lottery ticket now?

I wonder if a sewer repair adapter thingy could be found in the correct diameter, might have to cut it to width....I mean all you need is a real fat rubber band right?

D-A-N-G!!

Glad you kept a clear head.

I had a piece of that same seal separate and it stuck the throttle open, but it happened while I was still in the garage. I used some electrical tape on the throttle body, left it like that for years. The seals from 1991 to 1999 are all the same as far as I can remember. The Rangers in those years should also have the same seals.

Back