Solved - Differential Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Differential Swap

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
3.73 open. If it had the towing package it’d be a limited slip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

axel code 45 3.55 open is what i got

Oh that's weird, the build sheet had towing package on it. I've heard the Ford positrac diffs that came on these were really good at going through clutches super fast. So should I hunt down a Ford 8.8 LS carrier or grab a Yukon or Eaton LS carrier?

i think youre mistaking the jeep craplocs for the ford traclocs :D imo, mine has performed quite well in what i do, and considering theyre the original clutches at 330k, they still lock rasonably, especially considering the mileage! no LS will last as long as a torsen or similiar, but imothe ford tracloc lasts super long for a clutch LS! im not knowledgable on the eaton/yukon LS's, but if they are also clutch based, imo better to stick with the frod one cause it costs much less, considering all you need are just the same clutches, or for a bit mroe grip, carbon fiber clutches, and anyways everythign clutch based will wear out. now if its gear based,it will outlast the tracloc, but it depends on how long you intedn to keep it. another option is something like the powertrax noslip.

i think youre mistaking the jeep craplocs for the ford traclocs :D imo, mine has performed quite well in what i do, and considering theyre the original clutches at 330k, they still lock rasonably, especially considering the mileage! no LS will last as long as a torsen or similiar, but imothe ford tracloc lasts super long for a clutch LS! im not knowledgable on the eaton/yukon LS's, but if they are also clutch based, imo better to stick with the frod one cause it costs much less, considering all you need are just the same clutches, or for a bit mroe grip, carbon fiber clutches, and anyways everythign clutch based will wear out. now if its gear based,it will outlast the tracloc, but it depends on how long you intedn to keep it. another option is something like the powertrax noslip.
I drive a jeep and work on fords

What would you recommend for a decent mix of offroading and daily driving, mostly I'm looking for something good in the snow I guess, I haven't had any problems with dirt or mud but driving in the snow that rear end gives out all the time. I also found a tracloc for the front diff, I mentioned it to the dude at the gear shop and all he said was "you could learn to drive it, but if someone else does they're gonna put it in a ditch". As for how long I intend to keep it, forever, I won't ever let this thing die it isn't allowed to.

No limited slips in the front on a road vehicle. It’ll be unwieldy in the snow. I’d keep your rear, and add a lunchbox locker to it.

No limited slips in the front on a road vehicle. It’ll be unwieldy in the snow. I’d keep your rear, and add a lunchbox locker to it.
I'm not a huge fan of lunchbox lockers, I hate how harsh they are when they lock and unlock, plus the cornering issue, living in Colorado and driving this thing in the mountains a lot I don't think I want that.

Then just get some junkyard units. For slippery on road handling open diffs are best, followed by limited slip rear, open front.

I drive a jeep and work on fords
dont mean to offend you, but imo the ford tracloc>jeep tracloc... hence craploc ;)
What would you recommend for a decent mix of offroading and daily driving, mostly I'm looking for something good in the snow I guess, I haven't had any problems with dirt or mud but driving in the snow that rear end gives out all the time. I also found a tracloc for the front diff, I mentioned it to the dude at the gear shop and all he said was "you could learn to drive it, but if someone else does they're gonna put it in a ditch". As for how long I intend to keep it, forever, I won't ever let this thing die it isn't allowed to.
imo you csn put a LS in the front; but for the snow itll just push you around, not advisable... unless youre willing to do the BWM and deive it in 2wd the whole winter, also assume you dont wanna do that. imo a strong LS like the torsen, will do fine for 90% of offroading.

Then just get some junkyard units. For slippery on road handling open diffs are best, followed by limited slip rear, open front.
The open has been alright other than the rear loving to slide out on the smallest bit of ice.

The open has been alright other than the rear loving to slide out on the smallest bit of ice.
if you think open slides out on ice... see limited slips ;) with enough skinny pedal, and slick enough surfaces, may as well become a skid pad! the ls will kick out more than the open

if you think open slides out on ice... see limited slips ;) with enough skinny pedal, and slick enough surfaces, may as well become a skid pad! the ls will kick out more than the open
Hmmm, maybe I'll stick with the open diff then, I've yet to get into a situation I couldn't get out of by gunning it in 4 low (as bad as that is).

another option is a locker like the arb or ox. locked when you need it, opej when not. we dont get all thay much snow here in la, but in my experience im just easy on the theottle and with my ls i havent had a snow issue (yet). it depends on the driver, if you drive hard itll send you into that tree, but if youre essy enough on it, it probably wont.

dont mean to offend you, but the ford tracloc>jeep tracloc... hence craploc ;)
I'm not offended. I'm going on 24 years of gas and go driving with the Jeep. I did swap the front axle when a driver hit my jeep parked in front of my house.

another option is a locker like the arb or ox. locked when you need it, opej when not. we dont get all thay much snow here in la, but in my experience im just easy on the theottle and with my ls i havent had a snow issue (yet). it depends on the driver, if you drive hard itll send you into that tree, but if youre essy enough on it, it probably wont.
That's kinda the hard part with these OHVs though, they make so little power you have to damn near floor it to keep up with people, especially here where everyone wants to be driving 80mph on surface streets. When I lived in NorCal it was a lot better, not sure if because lower elevation or people just drove better or a mix of both. Anyways, I found this traclok, it should work with the explorer rear axle too right?

im pretty sure? i just found the clutches online, never looked into carrier too but it looks right. if you want to go fast in the snow, i wouldnt advise an Ls 🤣 on dry roads its fine, and i like the ls, but sometimes in snow it makes it more likely to kick out, hence where the locker comes in. on the road its a jormal open diff, but once it gets rough you can lock em together, and they will hold even when you lift a tire, whereas the ls may not lock still if a tire is lifted

im pretty sure? i just found the clutches online, never looked into carrier too but it looks right. if you want to go fast in the snow, i wouldnt advise an Ls 🤣 on dry roads its fine, and i like the ls, but sometimes in snow it makes it more likely to kick out, hence where the locker comes in. on the road its a jormal open diff, but once it gets rough you can lock em together, and they will hold even when you lift a tire, whereas the ls may not lock still if a tire is lifted
I think we're pretty much done with the snow here in Colorado for this season, and early next year we're moving back somewhere on the west coast. Would've been nice to have a good snow vehicle but isn't absolutely necessary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When we got snow earlier this year, I just stomped it in an empty parking lot and it was actually very easy to control even on the roads when they had lots of ice and slush I was able to keep it straight but of course I let it get sideways a few times Haha

Back