How to find a where this transmission came from | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to find a where this transmission came from

1lowlude

Reaction score
City, State
Brampton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Please help me identify where this transmission came from as Ford has replaced my transmission but has went I believe the cheapest and most ridiculous route.

The numbers that I can find on the transmission are as follows

Rfbt4p-7006-ab

IMG_2022-06-13-16-49-05-217.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe a replacement should be an OEM item.

Peter

That is just the case part number. Need to look for a sticker on the front but they usually don't stay forever

Ahhh
That is just the case part number. Need to look for a sticker on the front but they usually don't stay for
Ahhh you mean these stickers that look intentionally wiped away?

IMG_2022-06-04-16-38-14-091.jpg PXL_20220613_164202935.RESTORED.jpg PXL_20220613_164332207.jpg PXL_20220613_164118231.RESTORED.jpg

That is just the case part number. Need to look for a sticker on the front but they usually don't stay forever
It looks like a 6f50.

What is your concern?
Cruise control no longer available. S mode in the gear selector is nonexistent now. And warning light for pre collision not available anymore.

I had the transmission replaced by the dealer. Was under the impression that we were gonna save a few bucks by not replacing brand-new and they were gonna find a used transmission. I would think it would be an identical replacement but again they made shady moves behind my back.

I'm gonna take a look at the number you provided. Thank you for that.

Last I looked there's a few different transmission configurations for these 5th gen explorers.

Screenshot_20220615-071808_Chrome.jpg

Cruise control no longer available. S mode in the gear selector is nonexistent now. And warning light for pre collision not available anymore.

I had the transmission replaced by the dealer. Was under the impression that we were gonna save a few bucks by not replacing brand-new and they were gonna find a used transmission. I would think it would be an identical replacement but again they made shady moves behind my back.

I'm gonna take a look at the number you provided. Thank you for that.
I don't see how changing the transmission would affect the features you listed as being inoperable except for possibly the Sport mode, but then I'm not a mechanic. You asked for a used transmission and that is what you received, so I'm not understanding the "shady moves" part. I would expect that the transmission type/model would normally be noted on the invoice along with any warranty info. While a new or remanufactured transmission would have been covered by a Ford extended warranty ( 36 months I believe), the used one likely is not.

Peter

I don't see how changing the transmission would affect the features you listed as being inoperable except for possibly the Sport mode, but then I'm not a mechanic. You asked for a used transmission and that is what you received, so I'm not understanding the "shady moves" part. I would expect that the transmission type/model would normally be noted on the invoice along with any warranty info. While a new transmission would have been covered by a Ford extended warranty ( 36 months I believe), the used one likely is not.

Peter
Hey man you know what I'm not a mechanic myself but I know when my car went in for the repair I had all these options working perfectly fine now that I got the car back they're not there so I have no idea whether they're related to the transmission they used or not but the general manager was all about getting a used transmission he advised against getting a new one because of the cost of it but I advised him that you know instead of wasting money and buying a used one because who knows what problems could arise from a used transmission maybe it's better we just go new so we know there's not going to be any problems whatsoever. But he pushed for used transmission and now I am looking like I got the short end of the stick. Are the issues I'm describing related about the cruise control and the sport mode I don't know but someone has some explaining to do because these are things that aren't working and they were working perfectly fine before so that's why I'm trying to find out what transmission they put on to see if these options that I'm describing are related to the transmission but I can't do that if I don't know the transmission that they put in so I'm not too familiar with the explorers and these newer vehicles how they're built and whatnot I'm old school but I am a Hands-On guy so I can get right down into the mechanical part of it if I have to but as for the technological advances if these issues are attached to the transmission or not I have no clue where do you find that kind of information out well that's kind of why I'm here

What happened to the old transmission? I would ask to see it and compare the numbers on the case. Also, the computer may need to be flashed to get all the features working with this new transmission. That's just a speculation but I know the Explorer has a "learning" mode that resets the transmission shift patterns.

The first thing I would do is complain to the dealer, and see what they say

I have complained to the dealer and corporate. Corporate tells me to bring it in to get a diagnostic done. more money outta my pocket ffs.... Alternator just died the other night now...... 400 for a new 230amp around here ffs......

I really want to find out where this transmission came from so when I go in for battle I can say "hey! This transmission is from ............. And not a direct replacement as we agreed upon". I want some ammunition to fire off at this ass hat of a general manager. I'm so frustrated with all these issues my truck has been having last few months.... Wouldn't be so bad if they were minor issues but there all big expensive issues and issues that honestly in my opinion shouldn't even be happening with only 100,000km..... The thing is barely broken in. And the fact I keep getting shafted by the dealer is really making things worse.

I think I'm gonna bring it to a new dealership for the diagnostic and see how they operate to my liking or not. I mean these Ford tech guys at my current dealership are not techs at all. Upon removal of my alternator earlier I found stupid mistakes that made me facepalm numerous times like they didn't tighten one of the grounds but did manage to get the nut on..... Or the tech put the brake pads back on wrong side of rotor- those nipples on the pads are there for obvious reasons....

I should start taking bets for what's gonna go wrong and fail next on my truck!?

I should start taking bets for what's gonna go wrong and fail next on my truck!?
Sorry to read about the issues you are having. That's one reason I usually get the Ford ESP. You never know what may happen, especially if you plan to keep a vehicle long-term. You may never need to use it but when you do it helps. Just extra insurance.

Peter

Another good reason to have a dash cam is for recording dealership monkeys.
If you feel the need to record, or refer to your mechanic as “monkeys” maybe you should find a better mechanic, or even better, learn to fix your own stuff.

It's more about peace of mind than anything. I have front and rear cameras that record any activity around the car.

You can check my profile and easily find that I do my own work and also help others fix their own rides. I would never bring my vehicle to the dealership for anything. I used to work at a shop for 6 years and saw many mechanic monkeys come and go. Dash cam is solid investment especially in the situation the OP is in...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's more about peace of mind than anything. I have front and rear cameras that record any activity around the car.

You can check my profile and easily find that I do my own work and also help others fix their own rides. I would never bring my vehicle to the dealership for anything. I used to work at a shop for 6 years and saw many mechanic monkeys come and go. Dash cam is solid investment especially in the situation the OP is in...
I fail to see how a dash cam is going to prove a whole lot, since it’s going on under the car. Dash cam won’t tell where the trans came from.

Back