'88 Ranger to '97 Explorer 5.0L conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'88 Ranger to '97 Explorer 5.0L conversion

bgramlin

Reaction score
City, State
Sellersburg. IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
This is a project that has been in the planning and hoping stage for several years. Truck was gifted to me. Purchased the 5.0 with AT, Wiring Harness and Brain from a 97 Explorer. I have had the engine machined. New Pistons, Rods, all new bearings, polished and tested crankshaft and cam. New Timing Set, Oil pump, gaskets and seals. Heads were reworked. Still getting the engine back together while doing research on differences between the 88 Ranger and 97 Explorer Fuel Pressure requirements.
Any pointers and tips will be greatly appreciated.
Just building it far a daily driver. Not planning on any off road driving since it is rear wheel drive only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to EF!!!! good luck on it!!!! lots os v8 experts here!!!! post up some pics!

I kinda have doubts about the ranger fuel pump. Pressure might be the same, but will it flow enough volume?
Best to have 97 everything, harness, pump and PCM.

The fuel pressure is the same for all EFI Fords before 1999. So if you can replace the Ranger pump with any quality unit, it should be able to feed a mild V8 engine. Stock volume specs for most were under 100 liters per hour, say 90lt/hr or a little less. That was on all of the 302 Mustangs, and the Explorers. They will differ a little for fitment to the tank pickup assembly and fuel sock. So get a look at the Ranger part, and see if it could be swapped with something from an Explorer etc(just the pump).

Your best friend for that 302 Explorer swap, is another 302 Explorer for many parts external to the engine. The accessories and brackets etc, but find other swap threads for the earlier Rangers, those will point you to engine mounts, headers, the radiator etc.

Better off ditching the low and high pressure pumps for a single in tank high pressure unit. The motor mounts, I'd use the V6 rubber mount and buy the swap engine mounts off ebay. It's a 3/8 steel plate with a few holes drilled in it. The good ones are slotted so you can adjust the engine position in the bay.

exactly
the 88 ranger has a in tank boost pump (low pressure) and rail mounted main pump (high pressure)

I would simply install a walbro pump in your ranger in tank sending unit and delete the rail mounted pump.
You can actually install a second fuel filter right in place of where the rail mounted high pressure pump sits
My 88 Bronco II uses a single Walbro in tank pump 255lph I think it is feeds the v8 just fine. I am using 97.5 PCM and fuel rail

If I had to do it over again I would use the 98-01 style fuel rail (returnless fuel) and modify a 98-01 explorer sending unit/regulator to fit the bII tank, delete the return line, keep the walbro pump and 97 pcm, but run the returnless fuel (68 psi, 98-01 injectors), this keeps the fuel cooler, has less plumbing and will result in better MPG and a little more power

You will of course need:
dual sump oil pan (or v8 conversion pan)
Oil filter re locate (I like the canton Racing billet puck)
Engine mounts
radiator tuck under core support
shifter of sorts with OD on and off button (I use 96 mustang floor shifter, cable and transmission pawl)
OBD 2 conversion for the truck side of things (OBD port under dash for talking to the pcm)
Extend the PCM harness 3.5' so the pcm can mount in pass foot well like stock

those are the basics! I converted my BII back in 06 and she is my daily. You just cannot kill these things with a 5.0 in them SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE

The stock explorer exhaust manifolds suck. You have a few options, headman or the expensive torque monsters which have a long wait time. 65 Mustang 289 Tri-Y's fit if you heat and bend the collectors out slightly to clear the 4R70W pan. I had to do that on my 68 cougar when I swapped transmissions.

If I had to do it over again I would use the 98-01 style fuel rail (returnless fuel) and modify a 98-01 explorer sending unit/regulator to fit the bII tank, delete the return line, keep the walbro pump and 97 pcm, but run the returnless fuel (68 psi, 98-01 injectors), this keeps the fuel cooler, has less plumbing and will result in better MPG and a little more power

Funny Jamie, we need to put you in a session for reprogramming. You've got it hard wired that the 98 is returnless. The returnless began in the 1999 model, it wasn't a 98 or mid year change. That being said, I forgive you again.

Now, do you really think there is anything to gain with the 99-01 returnless system? I have my 92 Lincoln to convert with the 97.5 PCM in the near future, with the Explorer accessories, the 4R trans etc, with my 347. I had no plans to alter the fuel system, why do you think the 65psi would be better?

I will never learn!!!!!!!!! okay okay 99-01 fuel system

its not the pressure its the same reason the manufactures went returnless, it keeps the fuel much cooler because it never has to make a trip to the engine and back........cooler fuel = less emissions and better mpg, for me I like the idea of deleting the return line less plumbing

small benefits
Plus I have never seen anyone else do it, use a 96-98 PCM to control the returnless rail (except me in another ranger I built)

I will never learn!!!!!!!!! okay okay 99-01 fuel system

its not the pressure its the same reason the manufactures went returnless, it keeps the fuel much cooler because it never has to make a trip to the engine and back........cooler fuel = less emissions and better mpg, for me I like the idea of deleting the return line less plumbing

small benefits
Plus I have never seen anyone else do it, use a 96-98 PCM to control the returnless rail (except me in another ranger I built)

I've also read that the PCM has no trouble running the other fuel pressure. My plan was to install it all on the stock 302 with no tuning changes then, and later do tuning after the engine swap. I'll think on the extra fuel line, I don't really like the two plastic stock lines used on the Fox chassis cars. It runs along the right side and up to the front right of the fuel rail. So adapting that to the Explorer rail will be interesting anyway, plus my intake is BBK with their special rails for that intake. I'd much prefer to route a new aftermarket fuel line, one would be slightly easier no doubt.

its true
our PCMs are dumb, they do not monitor fuel pressure and they do not control the fuel pump other then ON or OFF
So any 96-01 5.0 PCM can run either fuel rail.... I already proved it once.
So many people told me "you cannot do that, the pcm controls the fuel pressure yadda yadda yadda" ..... lol Im like really? Watch me.
When you are the guy running the wires from the PCM to the fuel pump relay and building the in tank fuel pump units......sometimes you just know better. I think its 06 when Ford PCM's gained a fuel pressure monitor and started to turn the pump on and off to regulate rail pressure. Way after our 01 PCMs
The 1988 nylon fuel lines in my BII have seen better days, the return line has had a "kink" in it from when I first did my 4.0 conversion back in what 1998 99 cant remember? The kink is still there.... I want to just delete the whole stupid return line

To the OP, the return style system is fine. I'd like to see pictures of your ranger

sorry off topic, last one....it is still relevant to swapping because you will need to address fuel line mods

if you use a camping stove (propane burner) which can get the water super super boiling hot it will get the nylon soft enough to press the fitting on all 3 flares. Its a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT it can be done.
That is exactly how the return line got its kink LOL
Later I would learn about using the camp stove, the electric burner in the old house just could not get the water hot enough
so we started using camp stove out in the shop instead
Now there are many more ways to do this, this was WAAAAY before you tube lol

Those are it. I've seen a few sellers.

Back