NEED DATA, 03PCM to 04PCM Help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED DATA, 03PCM to 04PCM Help please

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
New info just in.

My 03 was made in Feb 03, right in the March 02 to Aug 03 run of a PCM that matched to the 5R55S transmission in these SUVs.

I cannot get a new replacement Solenoid Pack for the model run. You can only get the new Solenoid Pack for the post AUG 03 model runs..

I BELIEVE I NEED a late 03 PCM (after Aug 03) as Ford switched in 04 to CAN BUSS

Question when was this switch made??

My 03 was NOT Can Bus ,I believe the switch may be in 04…I Pray there was a short time when the switch was to a newer PCM still on the old bus before the switch officially in 04 to CANBUS.

OR can a 04 CANBUS PCM be put into a non-CANBUS 03 Explorer??

Were the 03 CANBUS ready??

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, but does that allow me to put a 04 PCM into my 03 Explorer??

Rich

Trying to join FORScan Forum cannot get past this question:

The items marked with * are required profile fields and need to be filled out.
Vehicle: *
Model, engine type and capacity/power, year

I answered

Explorer, 4.6, 5, (for 5 people) 240 (HP), 2003 = I get You have provided an invalid answer to the question.

So I answered:

Ford, V8, 5, 240, 2003 = I get You have provided an invalid answer to the question.

I then answered:

Ford Explorer, 4.6 V8, 5, 240, 2003 = I get You have provided an invalid answer to the question.

Lastly I tried:

Ford Explorer, 4.6 V8, 240, 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.6 V8, 5, 240, 2003 and try again later...

So what do they want??

Rich

I am not a member on that forum
I can't help with that

The program is free no need to be a forum member

This will allow you access to any ford module's from any year

Sadly I am not sure if that means I can reprogram a 04 PCM to run my 03 Explorer.

Rich

Sadly I am not sure if that means I can reprogram a 04 PCM to run my 03 Explorer.

Rich
ill be hinest i think forscan developers are having some issues right now them bein located in russia i remember hearing about that. not sure if it affects forum though, i assume nit cause its free that being said i feel like vaguely i do have an accunt there let me see if i do or if its just morning brain 😂

My copy of free Forscan is from a few years ago
I've never used their forum

Rich

Sorry I don't have all the answers lol

I’m assuming the newer solenoid packs communicate over the CANBUS?

On his year some modules use ms. Can some use hs. Can
I ran into this problem on the 04 x

I’m assuming the newer solenoid packs communicate over the CANBUS?
Not sure:

So ran into a fun problem.

My 03 4.6 4WD XLT needed its transmission rebuilt.

Not a problem.

Until they tried ordering a new Solenoid pack, seems my Explorer has a 5R55S but it has a 02/03 model Solenoid pack # 1L22-7G391-AE or AG, the AG is the newer version.

Al is a sharp mechanic and knew of a problems with the early version of the build run for my Explorer, he talked with ATRA ATRA - Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association “The largest transmission rebuilders association in the World” and confirmed what he had read about a mismatch between the model of Solenoid packs were installed by Ford from March 02 to August 03 and was another of Ford’s short term parts runs and that the newer Solenoid Packs will not work correctly in some 30% of the trucks made within those build dates they are put into.

The solenoids are operated by PWM controls and the newer pack needs a matching newer PCM, made after Aug 2003.

The BIG problem is Ford is no longer making the March 02 to Aug 03 Solenoid pack, and there are NOWHERE to be found, so it is either run a used (the one that was in the truck with 203K on it or a rebuilt one. EVERYONE saids NO rebuilt/re-manufacture one NO WAY no how.

OR get a newer version and swap in a matching PCM.

Now the newest problem is 04 IS when they reportedly Switch to CANBUS...

So the question is the 04 Backward comparable?? Or did they switch to the newer PWM switched in the Sep, Oct.Nov, or even Dec??

My PCM is 3L2A-12A650-AXB JXB1 NCD-250 PCM150 S/N PDPBIVH26773 G EEOFA 3B05H

ECU information for Ford PCM 3L2A-12A650-AXB
This PCM is used in Ford Explorer 2003, 4.6L 2V engine.

Control unit part number3L2A-12A650-AXB
Control unit typePCM
Control unit catchwordJXB1
VehicleFord Explorer
Model year2003
Engine4.6L 2V
Hardware typeNCD-250
Update available?YES
Update part number3L2A-12A650-AXC

Of course a replacement PCM will require being reprogrammed with trucks VIN number and for PATs and/or Keys.

I have tried to decode the 3L2A-12A650-AXB to see what parts need to match.

The AXC is the updated version, would that one work?

Could will check on it, thanks.

Rich

Back