1995 Explorer XL personal thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer XL personal thread

You are also lucky to be in a place with absolutely zero rust. I bet your brakelines and other tubing are smooth to the touch. In some areas they literally turn to rust dust. There may be a few mechanical things but it is like a place where people's looks don't age :lol:. But everything else does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My youngest son is home for the summer so I put him to work helping me.

We had talked about getting a summer job doing some programming, but there is a pretty large covid surge in the area, so this is the lower risk path.

Some progress on the solar panel install:

Reiss drilling hole in roof for solar compressed(1).jpg compressed mounting bracket for explorer solar panels.jpg solar panel hole positioning  compressed.jpg side view of solar panel on explorer mount compressed.jpg

After goofing around with a few approaches, this method turned out to be the most practical that I could come up with.

I was unable to find any of the brackets designed for mounting on the cross bars locally, and on line they were ridiculously expensive.

The photo in the middle are some off the shelf 8020 type T nuts. In particular, they are a triple nut from the 1515 series.

We drilled out the thread in the black one so that an M8x 1.25 x 35mm long bolt could pass through, and this piece is under the cross bars.

The similar triple T nut comes pre-threaded for M8 and this acts as a combination washer and nut set inside of the lower part of the panel C channel frame.

As it turned out, I already had a bag of these parts at the shop and just needed to find them and put them to use.

The wires need some cable management, but now it is all mounted and in place.

Added - the reason for the scrap board when drilling holes into the bottom of the solar panel frame is to reduce the risk of it slipping and going through the back of the panel.

edit - I made some extras in case anyone else is interested in mounting a panel on their explorer.

After goofing around with a few approaches, this method turned out to be the most practical that I could come up with.

I was unable to find any of the brackets designed for mounting on the cross bars locally, and on line they were ridiculously expensive.

The photo in the middle are some off the shelf 8020 type T nuts. In particular, they are a triple nut from the 1515 series.

We drilled out the thread in the black one so that an M8x 1.25 bolt could pass through, and this piece is under the cross bars.

The similar triple T nut comes pre-threaded for M8 and this acts as a combination washer and nut set inside of the lower part of the panel C channel frame.

As it turned out, I already had a bags of these parts at the shop and just needed to find them and put them to use.

The wires need some cable management, but now it is all mounted and in place.

edit - I made some extras in case anyone else is interested in mounting a panel on their explorer.
I think it was on facebook, not sure it showed up here, but I saw someone that mounted their solar panel on their hood. Can't remember if it was stuck on with 3M or what, think it may have been? But it was a nice clean look, and it worked, food for thought if ya ever want to move that one. Wiring is going to be fun both ways though...

@Fix4Dirt , there ya go, get yaself a solar panel!!

I think it was on facebook, not sure it showed up here, but I saw someone that mounted their solar panel on their hood. Can't remember if it was stuck on with 3M or what, think it may have been? But it was a nice clean look, and it worked, food for thought if ya ever want to move that one. Wiring is going to be fun both ways though...

hey hey!!! here in cali i got more than 'nuff sun! can trickle charge the battery when the X isnt in use!oooh now another project on the back burner that could happen anytime between tomorrow and 2 years 🤣

Initially that sounds like a good idea, but in the real world it isn't.

A solar panel converts ~ 15 - 20% of the sunlight to electricity, and 80 - 85% becomes heat. Solar panels become even less efficient as they heat up, so that heat has to be removed to "somewhere".

If the panel is directly mounted to the sheet metal, then the sheet metal has to carry it away to a cooler section and dissipate it into the air from there.

These frame type panels have room for air flow both on top and underneath, so the shade from the panel actually reduces the heat load on the vehicle.

Also - while VHB tape is very good stuff - usually the paint to steel bond fails and the panels will eventually fly off.

This panel will actually be charging an auxiliary power system, but I guess it could also be used to trickle charge the starter battery.

This panel was a spare one off of a test stand, so I put it to use.

It is hard to see, but there is a wire gland under the panel for the solar wires going in - roughly in line with the C pillar.

Just saying it was a neat idea, looked good too. I won't deny, yours is definitely the nicer setup. Yeah, they have their little bit of use, but heat does kill 'em. I mean, it defeats the purpose of even adding them, but could always rig cooling fans underneath, like they make for laptops, but again, defeats the purpose if thats going to sit their pulling a current 😂

Just saying it was a neat idea, looked good too. I won't deny, yours is definitely the nicer setup. Yeah, they have their little bit of use, but head does kill 'em. I mean, it defeats the purpose of even adding them, but could always rig cooling fans underneath, like they make for laptops, but again, defeats the purpose if thats going to sit their pulling a current 😂
there aint nothin called free energy! nor 100% efficient energy. though soemtimes the X sits in the sun for a week.......... ahhh man... now i gotta go look at these online, first the blazer paint, now this!!! :p messing with ya!

Just saying it was a neat idea, looked good too. I won't deny, yours is definitely the nicer setup. Yeah, they have their little bit of use, but head does kill 'em. I mean, it defeats the purpose of even adding them, but could always rig cooling fans underneath, like they make for laptops, but again, defeats the purpose if thats going to sit their pulling a current 😂

Thanks - well I kind of had to make it at least half decent since I install solar panels and auxiliary electrical systems in vans at my shop.

The downside is that I can't get away with much because people imagine that I am going to do it correctly instead of just goofing around sometimes.

Thanks - well I kind of had to make it at least half decent since I install solar panels and auxiliary electrical systems in vans at my shop.

The downside is that I can't get away with much because people imagine that I am going to do it correctly instead of just goofing around sometimes.
once in a long while im in areas like stockton, maybe i oughta drop by and see that setup sometime 🤣

there aint nothin called free energy! nor 100% efficient energy. though soemtimes the X sits in the sun for a week.......... ahhh man... now i gotta go look at these online, first the blazer paint, now this!!! :p messing with ya!

Send me a note if you decide to mount a panel. I really did make an extra set in case anyone wants to try it.

Send me a note if you decide to mount a panel. I really did make an extra set in case anyone wants to try it.
itll be a while, so ill see if the ole noggin still remembers this post in a year or so 🤣

itll be a while, so ill see if the ole noggin still remembers this post in a year or so 🤣
I will make sure to remind this fool now and then 😂

Next step - making room for the power station. We removed the 60 part of the 60/40 seat and it is a good size.

This isn't happening as fast as I am posting - this was from earlier, just finally got around to compressing down the photos so they can be posted.

We tried to work today but it was far too hot.

Same great son helping me out removing the seat. I should probably see if anyone would be interested in buying something like this.

These seats are amazingly light compared to van seats.

@EB4X Thank you for the earlier tip on the "hook". I thought that this seat might be complicated to remove, but it is actually super easy.

Reiss removing seat from expl compr.jpg 1995 explorer seat view 2 compr.jpg

This is a test fit of the case that I use for building the smaller power system.

It is an all in one, ruggedized design. Historically I used 2 each x size 24 Lifeline AGMs in it, but in 2021 these became scarce because one RV supplier purchased ~ 90% of the factory capacity. As a result I redesigned it internally for 2 x size 27s (100 amp-hrs) and can use either the Lifeline AGm or Battle born LiFe s in it.

I am going to re-use 2 of the 4 batteries that I had in my van, even though they are 4 -5 years old - still seem to be in good condition.

The larger batteries forced a change in the design so that all of the power in / out are all going to be pretty much on one edge vs 2 in the past. This turns out to be an advantage for me in this explorer, as I will have all of the ports facing the back of the van.

Still deciding to keep or remove the wheel / handle kit or not, as it would slightly lower the height.

In the photo, I have some 18mm baltic birch under it to help level the floor. The front passenger seat is pretty much all the way back in the photo.

The guts were inside, but I removed them to do some more mods.

____

It has been hot here, so working on it has been a bit limited.

Power system test fit compr.jpg

that has got to be the cleanest 95 back seat I have ever seen.
This truck is a real gem
with 150K it can last a lifetime the 95's are TOUGH

Keep the auto trans cool, seriously consider adding a second transmission cooler

I have seen a 95's pass emissions with 487K miles on it...second transmission, ticking lifters, but still moving along like it was still 1995
Seriously these are known for going a long long time
Keep up the good work!

that has got to be the cleanest 95 back seat I have ever seen.
This truck is a real gem
with 150K it can last a lifetime the 95's are TOUGH

Keep the auto trans cool, seriously consider adding a second transmission cooler

I have seen a 95's pass emissions with 487K miles on it...second transmission, ticking lifters, but still moving along like it was still 1995
Seriously these are known for going a long long time
Keep up the good work!

Thanks - yes the drive train needs some work as well as the suspension "lean".

I should join the elite members section so I can list this seat for sale or maybe trade it for something. On my to do list.

Right now I am looking for a job (ideally part time) but the tech industry where I historically worked isn't that open to 25 - 30 hrs / week. and they see that I am 63 and are frightened off. Once some more cash comes in, I will start upgrading / cleaning up some minor drive train items.

There just are not enough vehicles being produced that need my electrical shop services to make that viable stand alone right now- so flexibility is key - right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes must be flexible
I would think one could make a living installing solar electric systems into sprinter vans!! So many people building those
Nobody buys back seats, but front seats in good shape sell like crazy LOL

Back