Tim's '93 Sport | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would love to see a TDI swap. My dad still has his 99 jetta he bought new. TDI, 5 speed, 300,000 miles and counting. I used to work on Linde forklifts with these engines in them. The 1.9L is the one to have.

I read about a kit to put those engines in J**ps. An explorer with one would be super cool.

Yep what I've been reading is the 1999.5 and up 1.9L are the way to go! Not huge powerhouses by any means, but can throw some performance parts on with a tune and re-gear (in the plans anyway) and it'll do exactly what I want.

This is the kit that makes it possible: VW 1.9 2.0L TDI to Ford 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L Adapter Kit
They make kits for Jeeps and a handful of other vehicles.

Found a couple swap threads for Rangers over on the TDI Club forum. Definitely an involved swap, but doesn't seem anymore difficult than swapping a 5.0 in.

Yep what I've been reading is the 1999.5 and up 1.9L are the way to go! Not huge powerhouses by any means, but can throw some performance parts on with a tune and re-gear (in the plans anyway) and it'll do exactly what I want.

This is the kit that makes it possible: VW 1.9 2.0L TDI to Ford 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L Adapter Kit
They make kits for Jeeps and a handful of other vehicles.

Found a couple swap threads for Rangers over on the TDI Club forum. Definitely an involved swap, but doesn't seem anymore difficult than swapping a 5.0 in.
Yeah 90HP is all she has out of the box. But those engines are really durable. For it's size its got tons of torque. The timing belts are the Achilles heel. Keep them new and happy and you'll have few issues. They are most definitely interference engines. I've done many a head change on those engines because of refused maintenance.

The forklifts i serviced were in a steel plant and ran 24/7. Some machines amassed as many as 30000 run time hours in 5 years. There is a rough estimate of 35 city miles to 1 run time hour in industrial equipment. Thats roughly one million miles. I was doing timing belts once a month on those machines!

Yeah 90HP is all she has out of the box. But those engines are really durable. For it's size its got tons of torque. The timing belts are the Achilles heel. Keep them new and happy and you'll have few issues. They are most definitely interference engines. I've done many a head change on those engines because of refused maintenance.

The forklifts i serviced were in a steel plant and ran 24/7. Some machines amassed as many as 30000 run time hours in 5 years. There is a rough estimate of 35 city miles to 1 run time hour in industrial equipment. Thats roughly one million miles. I was doing timing belts once a month on those machines!
Good thing it’ll be easy to service in the engine bay of the Explorer! Probably be able to sit in there with the engine:laugh:

With hours/miles like that I’d say that sells me completely on a TDI swap. Just want something that’ll keep running

Life has settled down a bit and was able to move into a house! Which means I’m able to garage the Explorer at the same place I live. So, finally got around to running a compression test on the Explorer. Here are the results:

1: 90
2: 105
3: 105
4: 125
5: 145
6: 125

Definitely not good. Explains why this thing is so down on power. I’m still pretty set on swapping a TDI in unless I can find a new old stock 4.0 block. Still don’t anticipate either swap happening anytime soon.

Nothing too big to update. Every couple weeks I start the Explorer just to keep motivated. Working on finding a donor for the TDI swap. I’ve got my eyes on a couple just have to actually pull the trigger on one.

Added another vehicle to the fleet…
0B873FEA-6C4E-4EDF-A4EE-98EE1A9B9DB7.jpeg

This was my parent’s 2000 GMC Sierra. I was borrowing it for the winter since the Explorer is down. Mom and dad surprised me with the signed title for Christmas, so it’s mine now! Just like the Explorer, my parent’s bought this truck brand new and have taken incredible care of it. We spent countless summers hauling the camper around with this truck. The weirdest part though: when I got the Explorer it was 20 years old with around 115,000 miles. The truck is 22 years old with 113,000 miles. Just needs a few minor service things and a few upgrades and it’ll be set.

nice truck, man!!!!!!!!!! which motor it got?
Guessing the 5.3l vortec, was the more common of the options, not sure it's a 2500 or anything either so it shouldnt be larger than the 5.3l. definitely looks clean though! Paint seems to be in better shape than my moms '02 Silverado in that same color!

Yep it’s a 1500 with the 5.3 Vortec! It almost looks brand new. There’s two hail dings in the hood and a shopping cart scratch on the front bumper. Both happened in the first year they owned it. Those are the only imperfections on the whole truck. Even the interior still looks brand new.

Yep it’s a 1500 with the 5.3 Vortec! It almost looks brand new. There’s two hail dings in the hood and a shopping cart scratch on the front bumper. Both happened in the first year they owned it. Those are the only imperfections on the whole truck. Even the interior still looks brand new.
Very nice! Impressed its that nice for the age!! Take good care of it and it'll sure last!
Moms is on a 6" and 35s, same engine and such. But hers has had a constant battery issue since day one back in like April or some crap. Has to jump it every morning cause something constantly drains it and we can't find what; but otherwise it's in great shape too, the dash is a lil' cracked up, but that's kind of expected for the age, though the leather seats are a bit rough.. step dad has a black '01 2500 HD, his needs a good amount of body and interior work, but that 496 runs like an absolute beast! These are the only shots I've really got of hers really, even step dads 2500 you can see if here behind mine in these from back at week one of me getting my '95 1500, really need more family truck pictures! lol

Any future plans for yours, lift kit, power upgrades?

20220523_132403.jpg Resized_20220523_094711.jpg Resized_20220829_172930.jpeg 20220515_131512.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

Very nice! Good looking group of trucks. Love the 8.1l 2500s. They pull really well!

Plan is to keep it very mild since it’ll be the tow pig for both the Explorer and GTI. Leveling kit with some 33” Duratracs on the stock wheels, a tune, and maybe an exhaust. Other than that it’s just too nice to go crazy with it. That’s what the Explorer is for!

Well my dreams of TDI swapping the Explorer got real today!

5B3A64DB-7A01-4259-AE22-394A43ABF5B6.jpeg
7FE6E1CA-9CBE-4CD0-A2E2-0575A7920BA5.jpeg
04AB492B-EC65-4DD5-9802-557363370B79.jpeg

This is a VW BEW TDI from a 2004 Jetta and it runs very well. The guy I bought it from built it up and swapped it into his 4Runner. Drove the swap for about 150 miles then decided he wanted a 2JZ instead of the TDI. It's been bored .020 over, has upgraded Garrett VNT-17 turbo, and stage 4 Malone tune. On top of that it came with a bunch of parts to do the swap including full engine wire harness, Can2Dash, FlashZilla, downpipe, intercooler with piping, and a handful of other stuff to give me a good starting point.

Hoping to start pulling the 4.0 out in the next few weeks!

I've started a separate thread for the TDI swap here: 93 Explorer TDI Swap

Got the garage cleaned up today. Should be able to start taking stuff apart over the next few days!

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

Stock 4.0
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
Custom center console with CB radio, aux switches, and power ports
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer water temp and vacuum gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Headlight wire harness with relays
Blue Sea Systems 12 circuit fuse panel with 100amp breaker
Aux radiator fan for low speed crawling
A/C delete

Future Modifications
Volkswagen TDI swap
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift
Coilover front shocks
Hand throttle

View attachment 430292
View attachment 437633
View attachment 437634
View attachment 430291

View attachment 299983
Awesome ride! The First gen Expedition tow hooks that you have in the front were they bolt on or did you have to weld them? We have been looking for a solution and we don't have a welder.

Awesome ride! The First gen Expedition tow hooks that you have in the front were they bolt on or did you have to weld them? We have been looking for a solution and we don't have a welder.
from what i remember at least on a 2nd gen you have to add one more hole and i think they bolt in? but not 100% sure, was going to add hooks, but went the winch bumper route lol

They are bolted on! Had to drill two holes each as there is no provision on the first gen frame. Used two 1/2” grade 8 bolts on each hook. Dragged trees, Jeeps, and full size Broncos around and they haven’t moved.

Back