Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)
hmmm sounds like head gasket or head crack to me from overheating dont drive it though imo. if it idles somewhat its not fully gone... i think?

so now imo it is

do you gamble on head & gasket

or r&r entire motor.

imo at that age id r&r the rest but cause ya alr put 10 into it and if ya wanna save some bucks can gamble on a set of heads and gasket cause imo it overheated then either blew gasket or cracked head then coolant spews and get ingested. ohvs are known to do that

hmmm sounds like head gasket or head crack to me. dont drive it though imo. if it idles somewhat its not fully gone.

so now imo it is

do you gamble on head & gasket

or r&r entire motor.

imo at that age id r&r the rest but cause ya alr put 10 into it and if ya wanna save some bucks can gamble on a set of heads and gasket cause imo it overheated then either blew gasket or cracked head then coolant spews and get ingested. ohvs are known to do that
Im thinking on 5.0 swap it my only issue is that I want the manual to stay like it is now how would I go about 5.0 swaping it and keeping it 4x4 and a manual? And coolant is not leaking from anywhere other than the overflow from the resavoir but the white smoke has a sweet taste to it

Im thinking on 5.0 swap it my only issue is that I want the manual to stay like it is now how would I go about 5.0 swaping it and keeping it 4x4 and a manual? And coolant is not leaking from anywhere other than the overflow from the resavoir but the white smoke has a sweet taste to it
can be done. iirc an f150 manual can be used, was it called a tremec? or were those the newer coyotes 😂 either way theres been a few that way i remember, one was a ST iirc, and then the 4406 can follow behind the trans.

yeah if it overheats wouldnt ir boil over the res? the smoke also sounds like coolant ingestion to me... ohv known for head crack

Also I went out to start it again and click….nothing thinking it’s seized I roll started it and it locked the back wheels so I did it again in 4x4 and locked all 4 then I tryed the key and it started turned it off and click…
can be done. iirc an f150 manual can be used, was it called a tremec? or were those the newer coyotes 😂 either way theres been a few that way i remember, one was a ST iirc, and then the 4406 can follow behind the trans.

yeah if it overheats wouldnt ir boil over the res? the smoke also sounds like coolant ingestion to me... ohv known for head crack
yeah it probably over heated and to Make things worse I have a cone air filter and it was soaking wet with it right next to the coolant overflow and with the 5.0 swap could anyone give me like exactly what I need so I can start gathering everything like motor,trans,tcase,driveshafts,etc thank you

Also I went out to start it again and click….nothing thinking it’s seized I roll started it and it locked the back wheels so I did it again in 4x4 and locked all 4 then I tryed the key and it started turned it off and click…

yeah it probably over heated and to Make things worse I have a cone air filter and it was soaking wet with it right next to the coolant overflow and with the 5.0 swap could anyone give me like exactly what I need so I can start gathering everything like motor,trans,tcase,driveshafts,etc thank you
good thread here How to: - So you want to convert to a 5.0? 5L swap for dummies
@Justin_ did one called soul eater iirc?

yeah doesnt sound promising imo as far as circumstance especially if now it doesnt start, all it takes is a few revilutions with stuff like coolant/water and then boom

It starts after pop starting but runs like garbage thank you for all the help
yeah sounds like its hurtin. could try new heads and gasket but likely theres some other damage imo

if you wanna go the 5.0 route its always open :) physically the t5 will bolt up but it wont handle the weight of the X well

heres how you can fit thw m5r2 and 4406 behind your new 5.0 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

between the 5.0 thread and this thread ahould get you close to having a 5.0 manual X

lots of info here on the 5.0 at least, not so much on the manual swap, but still some, so hopefully this helps! keep me posted on this and let me know if anything else!

also heres justins thread Soul Eater 5.0L Swap log

edit: iirc one way to see if its locked is to take plugs out and spin it by hand see what happens. or once it dries out try compression by hand

5.0 is the way to go.

I'm going out on a limb here. Your posts, and troubleshooting techniques tell me a 5.0 swap is going to be out of your skill set.

Probably one of the easiest swaps since it was a factory option. I've taken on projects in the past I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, learned as I went. The most labor intensive part is physically getting the new engine and transmission in the vehicle, if that can be accomplished, a shop could handle the misc electrical if needed

I have a couple of 98+ ranger 5.0 conversion threads for you to look at if you decide to go this route, including a 99 that was converted to 5.0 with a t5 manual (RWD)

Another option is to fix your current engine or replace it with another good OHV

I have a couple of 98+ ranger 5.0 conversion threads for you to look at if you decide to go this route, including a 99 that was converted to 5.0 with a t5 manual (RWD)

Another option is to fix your current engine or replace it with another good OHV
how do the t5s handle the weight of the rangers? know theyre less than the X, but how are they? think theyll stand up to the X? i always thought put it into an X and its sure to go boom in short order 😂

A T5 is slightly stronger than an M5OD-R1. I had one in an Aerostar van. I never had any issues, that van was always overloaded.

not a fan of the WCT5 but it works good for RWD Rangers.....much lighter then a 4 door Ex!! The shifter is all wrong in a 5.0 ranger :)
I can be picky
I would run the M5ODR2 for sure

JungleJoe 99 5.0 RWD conversion:

A couple of mine, 4x4

not a fan of the WCT5 but it works good for RWD Rangers.....much lighter then a 4 door Ex!! The shifter is all wrong in a 5.0 ranger :)
I can be picky
I would run the M5ODR2 for sure

JungleJoe 99 5.0 RWD conversion:

A couple of mine, 4x4

^^^the man for v8 stuff, 410fortune yalls! 😀

I'm going out on a limb here. Your posts, and troubleshooting techniques tell me a 5.0 swap is going to be out of your skill set.
The only thing out of my league is all the wiring that has to be done that’s why I’m not doing it I’m letting my mechanic do it plus I’m 17 and still learning

? Lol.

65A258B8-CC67-4728-8E44-C2D3E42E3B82.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back