Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

Lol I only put a different age because I thought u had to be over 18 to join
Ok, hang on tight, you can learn what you need here.
PS
Starting over.

I would have worded my post a bit different if I had known your true age.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't have to be over 18 to join the forum.

Since it sounds like you have coolant filling the cylinders and hydro locking it you should try a nice and good 4x4 rolling start to see if you can **** the rotating assembly out of the block. Then you will HAVE to get a new engine.

Since it sounds like you have coolant filling the cylinders and hydro locking it you should try to find someone to shoot video while you try a nice and good 4x4 rolling start to see if you can **** the rotating assembly out of the block. Then you will HAVE to get a new engine.
Better?

Lol I only put a different age because I thought u had to be over 18 to join
Sometimes K seal stuff can fix that issue on OHV. Nothing to lose, right?

Since it sounds like you have coolant filling the cylinders and hydro locking it you should try a nice and good 4x4 rolling start to see if you can **** the rotating assembly out of the block. Then you will HAVE to get a new engine.
Yeah, because you were born with all of the knowledge you possess, and have surely never done anything foolish….

Yeah, because you were born with all of the knowledge you possess, and have surely never done anything foolish….
And how did your real peers speak to you when you did? ☺️

And how did your real peers speak to you when you did? ☺️
I just picked up a 97 f150 with the transmission and t case Im needing for this swap tommorow I’m going to get a 5.0 explorer for another donar truck would anyone know if the interior wiring harness will need to be touched like the wiring for everything but the engine.I’m only asking because the shop that is doing this for me told me that they will have to pull my dash and swap the wires for the 5.0 to mine but I’m thinking other than the motor all the connections inside should be that’s same right? Or am I wrong

It may need the GEM module swapped. If the donor explorer truck is 1998 or newer you'll need to swap all PATS parts. Some interior wiring may be required.

I have to get a new engine anyway imo it’s not worth rebuilding the 4.0 when in a couple of years it will probably go out again
It may need the GEM module swapped. If the donor explorer truck is 1998 or newer you'll need to swap all PATS parts. Some interior wiring may be required.
what is pats?im sorry I’m not good will wiring and both explorers are 99s

You'll find out when you search.

As stated before, there are lots of V8 swap threads, and pats threads. Already been typed, no need to type it all to over again. Makes searching harder.

The trans bolts are kind tight to get to, so, if you can try to pull it as one unit. Dropping t case will help a little. Remove the radiator for more room. You may need the V8 trucks radiator and ac coil

pats=passive anti theft system. basically makes sure its got the right chipped key to go with it so take that module and maybe the door lock cyls and ignition cyl out of the donro too

The trans bolts are kind tight to get to, so, if you can try to pull it as one unit. Dropping t case will help a little. Remove the radiator for more room. You may need the V8 trucks radiator and ac coil
not to doubt you but under the console if you pull it seems the trans bolts are not hard to access. imo its easier to pull it seperately, but here we can agree to disagree :)

i do agree on removing the rad and imo the "dressing" stuff to make it essier to pull.

the vroomzoomboom thread i showed you has all the info you would need to do the convrrsion whats the dame what not

I have to get a new engine anyway imo it’s not worth rebuilding the 4.0 when in a couple of years it will probably go out again

what is pats?im sorry I’m not good will wiring and both explorers are 99s
Properly rebuilt an OHV would go another 300,000 and you could learn to swap a long block yourself. Should be cheap compared to the 10k you somehow have in this truck already.

A general mechanic isn’t your best bet for a Frankenswapped drivetrain.

Properly rebuilt an OHV would go another 300,000 and you could learn to swap a long block yourself. Should be cheap compared to the 10k you somehow have in this truck already.

A general mechanic isn’t your best bet for a Frankenswapped drivetrain.
ohv manual cant kill em

think the 10k was all the dropping of the trans and tcase! i mean i got a decent amount in my rig already not 10 though nowhere near.

too bad jamie isnt nearer, hes the guy for those.

so you found a shop in North Carolina that will convert your truck to a 8? WOW!!!!!!!!!

How much are they charging you?
How long will it take?
Be sure to post pics of your donor F150, the explorer and your truck :)

If you didn’t overheat it, I’d bet on head gasket. Depending on how good the motor is otherwise would be my decision point as to repair or replace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)
Have you tried a cylinder leak down test, compression test, also intake gasket leak test, try these before canning the truck?

Back