Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

If you pull the plugs stand back, even turning by hand will spray some serious amount of water.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pull the plugs stand back, even turning by hand will spray some serious amount of water.
After a possible hydrolock? Yeah, good advice. It'll be way high pressured, too. Stand clear.

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)
Sounds like a blown head gasket

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)
First sign of head gasket failure. The compression is pushing the coolant into the reservoir

You blew a cylinder head gasket

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5s

so you found a shop in North Carolina that will convert your truck to a 8? WOW!!!!!!!!!

How much are they charging you?
How long will it take?
Be sure to post pics of your donor F150, the explorer and your truck :)
The guy up the street from me said he will do it for 4k and I can’t seem to find the other posts about this conversion Im not doing the swap my self but would like to learn more,if anyone knows what else I will need to take from the f150 please let me know other than the trans and t case also the donar trucks dash was already out and I don’t see any wiring coming from the firewall but the engine harness is all there with the computer would I have to go to the junk yards and grab some parts of the wiring or would the mechanic be able to use what’s in my truck 99 4.0

D696F421-8E6D-4FB4-8BC9-1974A39DF8C1.jpeg AAB7679A-484B-4330-8891-655CFB128206.jpeg 011167F2-D52C-4506-8D20-A08EEFA47112.jpeg 912D8003-D402-472D-B8AC-6F005273F56D.jpeg C262BD7C-403C-4366-9071-2573D6A1C876.jpeg

You blew a cylinder head gasket
I think it’s hyrdolocked as well because every other time I start the truck it will click like it’s locked up and then after a bump start it will start up or after sitting over night but I don’t know for sure all I know is the motor is coming out tommorow😀
not to doubt you but under the console if you pull it seems the trans bolts are not hard to access. imo its easier to pull it seperately, but here we can agree to disagree :)

i do agree on removing the rad and imo the "dressing" stuff to make it essier to pull.

the vroomzoomboom thread i showed you has all the info you would need to do the convrrsion whats the dame what not
yeah when I did the clutch on my 99 I always removed the console to get to the top bolts on the trans

plus hes still got maybe a month or so of summer left! assuming hes still in high school! he was the one who was 17 right? can drive it again before school starts.

plus hes still got maybe a month or so of summer left! assuming hes still in high school! he was the one who was 17 right? can drive it again before school starts.
I'm thinking with the right exhaust system, it will get attention everywhere.

I'm thinking with the right exhaust system, it will get attention everywhere.
even with my 4.0 it gets attention, got a borla muffler and res delete... throaty at idle and sounds obvuously not stock but quiet enough to not be obnoxious, but get on the gas and youll hesr it coming... and it sounds grat for a v6 imo no v8 but still music to my ears

edit: here is a clip

even with my 4.0 it gets attention, got a borla muffler and res delete... throaty at idle and sounds obvuously not stock but quiet enough to not be obnoxious, but get on the gas and youll hesr it coming... and it sounds grat for a v6 imo no v8 but still music to my ears

edit: here is a clip
Which Borla muffler? I put an S type on my van with no resonator and you could hear it a mile away. One day I was driving home from work, got off the freeway, gassed it through the intersection at the off ramp. My roommate called me and said since you are going to be home in a second check the mail. I'm looking around like I passed him but didn't notice. I asked where are you, he said the Shell gas station which was a mile up the road.

Which Borla muffler? I put an S type on my van with no resonator and you could hear it a mile away. One day I was driving home from work, got off the freeway, gassed it through the intersection at the off ramp. My roommate called me and said since you are going to be home in a second check the mail. I'm looking around like I passed him but didn't notice. I asked where are you, he said the Shell gas station which was a mile up the road.
pro xs, but half the packing is probably gone by now 😂 it pops slightly. the res delete makes it sound a bit better too imo. can hear it coming over the hill/mountain going home. started out as loud as my dynomax super turbo but now... hehe. cruising thoigh its nice not too loud can have a conversation etc, but if you get on it,its all you hear.

i do wish borla made an atak for ours though.... :D but im real happy with my pro XS

@Ruben9237 Shoot, kid! I dunno where you got your money from, but you're doing well in life to have that kind of income to throw around on just one truck, and a mind to learn mechanical skills at an early age (seriously, some people live their whole lives without ever learning any thing), and build up your skill set for this kind of fun stuff. Let's not talk about having somebody who's actually willing to give you the time to so much as bother looking at your truck - particularly on the east coast. Such a friend cannot be bought with any amount of money! Kudos to ya on all fronts.

Definitely looking forward to the progress on this thread. I'd never V8 swap mine (SOHC preferred here), but I enjoy any good project. That's one gnarly-looking Ex, too, I can see that the $10k is no exaggeration. Keep that beautiful beast roaring!

@Ruben9237 Shoot, kid! I dunno where you got your money from, but you're doing well in life to have that kind of income to throw around on just one truck, and a mind to learn mechanical skills at an early age (seriously, some people live their whole lives without ever learning any thing), and build up your skill set for this kind of fun stuff. Let's not talk about having somebody who's actually willing to give you the time to so much as bother looking at your truck - particularly on the east coast. Such a friend cannot be bought with any amount of money! Kudos to ya on all fronts.

Definitely looking forward to the progress on this thread. I'd never V8 swap mine (SOHC preferred here), but I enjoy any good project. That's one gnarly-looking Ex, too, I can see that the $10k is no exaggeration. Keep that beautiful beast roaring!
Yep, I've drove both and prefer my SOHC gas mileage is better and Imo power is better too along with acceleration

Thank you man,that gives me more motivation to keep going with this project,would anyone know how to tell if my 99 ex has pats and if so what I would have to take off the donar truck to let it start….ps I just read the forum you guys posted for the 5.0 swap and it helped on a lot of my questions,I’m only asking a lot of questions to make sure when I bring it to the mechanic that’s doing this swap for me I’ll have all the parts to finish this project and it gets done right thank you to everyone that is helping me and giving good advice I really apréciate it

@Ruben9237 PATS is short for Passive Anti-Theft System. @Fix4Dirt stated this somewhere on Page 2, but then it got buried by all the off-topic stuff (one of my threads got steered off topic... that's what Converstations are for, people).

Passive Anti-Theft System includes everything associated with the RFID keys. Basically, if your Ex hasn't had a toggle on/off Starter/Ignition/Fuel Pump switch board rigged in to circumvent the factory multi-position switch, then it has a PATS. I have never seen or heard of any post-1998 2nd-gen Explorer without PATS from the factory, in the USA or internationally (I could be ignorant). Start with the ignition switch and all associated wiring; not sure if true for everyone, but I previously had a non-PATS key that would open the doors but not start the vehicle. If you don't switch the door and hatch locks from the V8 Ex onto your current one, plan on using one key to open the doors and a different key to start the engine.

I assume the PATS keys and remote controls correspond, so make sure you program the remote controls to whichever keys will start the engine. Something I DON'T know whether it will be a problem, is the button input lock control on the driver's door (not sure if that was optional or standard, Search Bar is your friend). You may find wiring diagrams helpful. The Haynes repair manual has great wiring diagrams.

Beat that Search function dead in the upper right corner. Read all the V8 swaps you've been recommended. You can search the entire forum, or just search within those threads; some key words to use would include PATS, PATS swap, PATS wiring, and PATS parts. I could do it myself and tell you the answers, but on this forum, there are two unspoken rules:

1. Search first, ask questions only if they aren't answered by reading the complete thread on what you're attempting. (It won't take us any shorter amount of time to find it than it will take you.)

2. Respect is given based on how much you're able to accomplish on your own. Therefore, we want to help you to gain respect by teaching you how to find the answers for yourself, since the answers are already on the forum.

There are some jerks that are just jerks for no reason. To everyone who reads this post, for crying out loud, DON'T quote me in this thread! The kid's trying to do a V8 swap, and you guys are ruining the start of a great project thread by posting off topic!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Ruben9237 PATS is short for Passive Anti-Theft System. @Fix4Dirt stated this somewhere on Page 2, but then it got buried by all the off-topic stuff (one of my threads got steered off topic... that's what Converstations are for, people).

Passive Anti-Theft System includes everything associated with the RFID keys. Basically, if your Ex hasn't had a toggle on/off Starter/Ignition/Fuel Pump switch board rigged in to circumvent the factory multi-position switch, then it has a PATS. I have never seen or heard of any 2nd-gen Explorer without PATS from the factory, in the USA or internationally (I could be ignorant). Start with the ignition switch and all associated wiring; not sure if true for everyone, but I previously had a non-PATS key that would open the doors but not start the vehicle. If you don't switch the door and hatch locks from the V8 Ex onto your current one, plan on using one key to open the doors and a different key to start the engine.

I assume the PATS keys and remote controls correspond, so make sure you program the remote controls to whichever keys will start the engine. Something I DON'T know whether it will be a problem, is the button input lock control on the driver's door (not sure if that was optional or standard, Search Bar is your friend). You may find wiring diagrams helpful. The Haynes repair manual has great wiring diagrams.

Beat that Search function dead in the upper right corner. Read all the V8 swaps you've been recommended. You can search the entire forum, or just search within those threads; some key words to use would include PATS, PATS swap, PATS wiring, and PATS parts. I could do it myself and tell you the answers, but on this forum, there are two unspoken rules:

1. Search first, ask questions only if they aren't answered by reading the complete thread on what you're attempting. (It won't take us any shorter amount of time to find it than it will take you.)

2. Respect is given based on how much you're able to accomplish on your own. Therefore, we want to help you to gain respect by teaching you how to find the answers for yourself, since the answers are already on the forum.

There are some jerks that are just jerks for no reason. To everyone who reads this post, for crying out loud, DON'T quote me in this thread! The kid's trying to do a V8 swap, and you guys are ruining the start of a great project thread by posting off topic!
^^^this is alot of info!!!

Back