1995 Explorer XL personal thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer XL personal thread

yes must be flexible
I would think one could make a living installing solar electric systems into sprinter vans!! So many people building those
Nobody buys back seats, but front seats in good shape sell like crazy LOL

You would think so - and I built up the business based on that idea.

Reality is that the market has split mostly into 3 segments:
- DIYers who can't stand the idea of someone else helping - or get talked into / shamed into taking on more than they should by internet forums
- Full service / complete van custom builders who do everything including interior and electrical
- Companies like Winnebego that offer standardized models.

When there are a lot of vans coming off of the production lines, then there are enough projects to keep life interesting.

When there are multi year shortages like there are now, people waiting literally for 10 - 20 months for a vehicle - then there isn't enough work to pay the fixed bills. Amazon in particular, and the other delivery services are buying factory production capacity in multiple months at a time.

I worked in the semiconductor equipment industry for many years (both as an engineer and in various sales roles.) I probably will end up back there and do this stuff as a side thing.

The system that I am putting in this explorer is also used for disaster relief and I do some volunteer work in that area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just saying it was a neat idea, looked good too. I won't deny, yours is definitely the nicer setup. Yeah, they have their little bit of use, but heat does kill 'em. I mean, it defeats the purpose of even adding them, but could always rig cooling fans underneath, like they make for laptops, but again, defeats the purpose if thats going to sit their pulling a current 😂

I have been thinking about this idea some more. Putting a small flex solar panel on the hood and using it to keep the starter battery charged up.

Originally I was thinking about it all based on efficiency and stuff, but that is really not important for that task.

There is a guy on instagram that has been making some tie down edge pieces for doing mounting sort of like that. I will look into it some more.

Getting thew wires in isn't a problem, but I am not sure about the impact on the paint underneath.

Another option - this company makes a 7 watt panel that can be placed on the dashboard.

7 watts does not sound like much but since it is amorphous it will work at least some even from the light in a garage.

I purchased 3 of them when the pandemic was kicking in and none of us where driving anywhere. For the two daughters and one on my younger son's car. The older daughter was having a problem with the grand daughters going out to her minivan in the garage and leave the door open. The lights would stay on and kill the battery.

Related to the pandemic - after all of the efforts to stay healthy and get vaccinated, etc - well the latest version (I assume it is Omicron B4 or 5) cracked through our defenses. The one time that I convinced my youngest son to go with me to a fast food place to get a milk shake and drink it inside since it was 100 F outside and literally no one else was in there but the staff.

We are doing ok and recovering, but it is completely exhausting. Some days it is like wake up - drink coffee - take a 5 hr. nap. Repeat.

Just adding a link to the vendor forum so I can easily find it. Need to fix / repair the drivers side mirror (manual / non heated).

The glass plate and attachment plastic tabs have partially fallen off. Glass is still good.

Oh neat! Yeah, not sure how the paint'll be affected. May protect it a little bit? Like taking trim off and seeing the oem paint, though rust can still form under it and all. But I guess tour fixinta find out!
Looking forward to seeing!
The dash one ain't a bad idea, my snake wouldn't be the happiest about it though 😂

Oh dang, sorry to hear man. Glad y'all are both recovering though! Hopefully can get back to work soon enough, just don't push yourself, especially in this heat! 😂

Just adding a link to the vendor forum so I can easily find it. Need to fix / repair the drivers side mirror (manual / non heated).

The glass plate and attachment plastic tabs have partially fallen off. Glass is still good.
Ahh, a fun little project ya got planned

Oh neat! Yeah, not sure how the paint'll be affected. May protect it a little bit? Like taking trim off and seeing the oem paint, though rust can still form under it and all. But I guess tour fixinta find out!
Looking forward to seeing!
The dash one ain't a bad idea, my snake wouldn't be the happiest about it though 😂

Oh dang, sorry to hear man. Glad y'all are both recovering though! Hopefully can get back to work soon enough, just don't push yourself, especially in this heat! 😂

Most likely for my own use I would just put it on the dash - or maybe even somehow attach to the windshield when I get that far.

Since the power system that I am putting in the back seat floor is internally 24 volt DC and has a 120 vac inverter, usually I just use that for jump starting when needed. I keep a 120 vac - 12 volt charger around instead of jumper cables and just use that instead of tying the 12 volt vehicle systems together.

I do some work on sprinters and they have very sensitive electrical systems so I don't ever tie those to anything without some isolation. The newer vehicle electronics are all increasingly sensitive and diagnosing what is wrong / repairs are expensive. I don't have any interest in getting blamed for blowing out a $1500 circuit board on a van so it is worth being extra cautious.

Related to the pandemic - after all of the efforts to stay healthy and get vaccinated, etc - well the latest version (I assume it is Omicron B4 or 5) cracked through our defenses. The one time that I convinced my youngest son to go with me to a fast food place to get a milk shake and drink it inside since it was 100 F outside and literally no one else was in there but the staff.

We are doing ok and recovering, but it is completely exhausting. Some days it is like wake up - drink coffee - take a 5 hr. nap. Repeat.
sorry to hear! i heard the new variants evade vaccination and previous infection, and are more contagious than used to be. wish covid wouldnt evolve so quickly, seems like theres always new news about it! hope you recover soon!

Most likely for my own use I would just put it on the dash - or maybe even somehow attach to the windshield when I get that far.

Since the power system that I am putting in the back seat floor is internally 24 volt DC and has a 120 vac inverter, usually I just use that for jump starting when needed. I keep a 120 vac - 12 volt charger around instead of jumper cables and just use that instead of tying the 12 volt vehicle systems together.

I do some work on sprinters and they have very sensitive electrical systems so I don't ever tie those to anything without some isolation. The newer vehicle electronics are all increasingly sensitive and diagnosing what is wrong / repairs are expensive. I don't have any interest in getting blamed for blowing out a $1500 circuit board on a van so it is worth being extra cautious.
Yeah, that's an interesting idea, throwing it on the windshield. Looking forward to however ya set it up.

Yeah electrical issues on any vehicle sucks, moreso on these new ones.

Also @Fix4Dirt, this guy, solar panels for the X, I haven't forgotten to remind ya

Thanks - all 3 of us are doing ok.

My wife brought out the home test kits and had the two of us isolate in rooms, but it as too late - she came down with it a few days later.

She had the booster shot a few months ago and did seem to recover faster - or perhaps she is just has a more "determined nature." :)

My son had just gotten the booster shot the prior week, so it probably didn't help him.

I had been holding out for the omicron version of the booster but it sounds like that is not going to be very available until October.

Alameda County (where we live) is a real hot spot in CA for covid infections and we have been extremely careful in general. We definitely have not had the really bad respiratory aspects of the original versions but it is definitely worth having a few weeks of supplies around because when it hits your household you won't be doing much for a while.

Headaches, intestinal, dizziness and ear congestion have been the big hitters here.

Again - we are largely better but not dancing or anything like that.

Yesterday we all tested negative but I am still going to skip semicon west this week. I don't want to be a typhoid Mary and probably could not last a whole day there either.

Edit - there is an anti viral that can help reduce the symptoms but because of some other medications I take (Type II diabetic ) the risk was too high outside of a controlled medical facility. The Dr. did have us buy a blood ox / pulse finger meter to keep track and that is actually fairly useful to have around.

Yeah, even though you're negative now, still feeling the effects, so let yourself cool off first. Definitely a smart idea, especially so the spread can be lessened a bit. As said though, hopefully ya ain't got to deal with it much longer

Thanks - all 3 of us are doing ok.

My wife brought out the home test kits and had the two of us isolate in rooms, but it as too late - she came down with it a few days later.

She had the booster shot a few months ago and did seem to recover faster - or perhaps she is just has a more "determined nature." :)

My son had just gotten the booster shot the prior week, so it probably didn't help him.

I had been holding out for the omicron version of the booster but it sounds like that is not going to be very available until October.

Alameda County (where we live) is a real hot spot in CA for covid infections and we have been extremely careful in general. We definitely have not had the really bad respiratory aspects of the original versions but it is definitely worth having a few weeks of supplies around because when it hits your household you won't be doing much for a while.

Headaches, intestinal, dizziness and ear congestion have been the big hitters here.

Again - we are largely better but not dancing or anything like that.

Yesterday we all tested negative but I am still going to skip semicon west this week. I don't want to be a typhoid Mary and probably could not last a whole day there either.

Edit - there is an anti viral that can help reduce the symptoms but because of some other medications I take (Type II diabetic ) the risk was too high outside of a controlled medical facility. The Dr. did have us buy a blood ox / pulse finger meter to keep track and that is actually fairly useful to have around.
yeah, heard the boosters help some, but the new one theyre not very effective or something, but they do keep from bad infection, so the cases are milder i heard. hoping it isnt long covid...

I have been thinking about this idea some more. Putting a small flex solar panel on the hood and using it to keep the starter battery charged up.

Originally I was thinking about it all based on efficiency and stuff, but that is really not important for that task.

There is a guy on instagram that has been making some tie down edge pieces for doing mounting sort of like that. I will look into it some more.

Getting thew wires in isn't a problem, but I am not sure about the impact on the paint underneath.

Another option - this company makes a 7 watt panel that can be placed on the dashboard.

7 watts does not sound like much but since it is amorphous it will work at least some even from the light in a garage.

I purchased 3 of them when the pandemic was kicking in and none of us where driving anywhere. For the two daughters and one on my younger son's car. The older daughter was having a problem with the grand daughters going out to her minivan in the garage and leave the door open. The lights would stay on and kill the battery.

Hoping you recover fully soon!

My wife has definitely recovered faster than my son and I , but I finally felt strong enough to drive to the shop and work a little today.

A residual cough that probably is frightening everyone but it seems to stay under control with the usual methods.

Still sleeping an abnormal amount but maybe that is a good thing.

The part that is interesting to me is that even when we "felt feverish", we never exhibited a measurable fever on any of our thermometers, forehead or the liquid metal types.

This might help to explain why it is spreading so quickly via air travel. All of the protocols are based on the assumption of an elevated body temperature and it didn't happen - at least to us.

My wife has definitely recovered faster than my son and I , but I finally felt strong enough to drive to the shop and work a little today.

A residual cough that probably is frightening everyone but it seems to stay under control with the usual methods.

Still sleeping an abnormal amount but maybe that is a good thing.

The part that is interesting to me is that even when we "felt feverish", we never exhibited a measurable fever on any of our thermometers, forehead or the liquid metal types.

This might help to explain why it is spreading so quickly via air travel. All of the protocols are based on the assumption of an elevated body temperature and it didn't happen - at least to us.
I tested negative for covid but had almost all the symptoms for 4 months. It is amazing how each person reacts differently to it.

I tested negative for covid but had almost all the symptoms for 4 months. It is amazing how each person reacts differently to it.
Yeah, it is funky how that works, was exposed last week, most everyone else got it, I'm testing negative but my throats killing me, I cant even do my doggy voice for the pups...😂

Dad gum though, 4 months? Sorry to hear that, glad ya made it through that

Yeah, it is funky how that works, was exposed last week, most everyone else got it, I'm testing negative but my throats killing me, I cant even do my doggy voice for the pups...😂

Dad gum though, 4 months? Sorry to hear that, glad ya made it through that
It started as a sore throat, then the sinuses filling the lungs up. Could not eat or drink anything for a week. When I did drink water, the retention time was the amount of time it took to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom. I never had a high fever, muscles were sore and weak. If your sinuses run like a faucet, wake up every few hours to clear the lungs, good to walk around. For me, I learned to sleep sitting up so I wouldn't wake up feeling like I was drowning.

Oh jeez, that sucks man. Ya made it through though! Not without a challenge, but ya did, and hopefully it won't be back for a while, if at all!

Yeah, I'm all set moving around, bad habit of pacing, for example right now in fact. Yeah, have to sleep sitting up, if ya got a recliner, those work wonders for that too. But dad gum, hopefully my whatever right now doesn't develop beyond what it is now, really don't need it getting worse. Taking precautions and meds to hopefully avoid getting worse.

Okay, second try at this, since the link won't work. Finally found that original X I mentioned with the hood solar panel. it's a land cruiser 100 series, 100 watt panel according to the post

Screenshot_20220726-204119_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220726-204116_Facebook.jpg

Small distraction from the Explorer.

A burning man camp asked me to build up a system for them for use there. It is kind of an interesting group that goes to BM. I don't really fit in but it is a good environmental test of my power systems since they need to work in difficult conditions.

Not quite finished, but this is the current state of things. 2 more panels need to go on the back of the ladder and a few other details.

IMG_1226.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, second try at this, since the link won't work. Finally found that original X I mentioned with the hood solar panel. it's a land cruiser 100 series, 100 watt panel according to the post

View attachment 432151 View attachment 432152
I think I missed something in this thread. I read that solar panels don't like heat, how does it work when the hood gets warm from driving?

Back