• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Headrest Stuck (Manual)

Toyfare

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I'm new to the forum! My wife and I just purchased our 2020 Explorer XLT last week, and we're running into an issue with the 3rd row headrest not folding down. Our Explorer has the manual seat folding option. I've tried pushing, pulling, applying pressure, etc., but it's stuck in place. The vehicle is CPO Gold, but I'm not sure that this would be covered under the 12mo./12,000mi. "comprehensive" coverage. Does anyone have anything else I can try before I go back to the dealership?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you've gone through this procedure?

1658771966820.png

1658772025112.png

Peter

It's best to have the dealer take a look at it before trying to take anything apart. It may be covered.

Peter

Covered or not, if the dealer is "worth their salt", they'll fix anyway or figure out what you need to be doing.

Covered or not, if the dealer is "worth their salt", they'll fix anyway or figure out what you need to be doing.
And being that you just bought it last week, it would be pretty sad if they didn't take care of it!!

Got an appointment in for Saturday. I'll let you guys know what the issue was.

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried pulling it back in the deployed position to see if something releases to allow it to fold?

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried pulling it back in the deployed position to see if something releases to allow it to fold?
Yeah, I tried that hoping that maybe something was just caught in the mechanism. No such luck.

I took it to the dealership on Saturday, just to be informed they don't do any services except oil changes, etc. on Saturdays. Later that evening the headrest came down on its own (no clue how), however, now it won't lock in the upright position. Clearly something is broken on the inside of the seat. Appointment on August 8th....hopefully they can get it fixed that day.

Finally got my Explorer back last night, after a 3-day stay at the dealership. They had to replace the entire headrest assembly which required removing the entire rear seat and seat cover. No charge. Glad to have an operating third row again.

Finally got my Explorer back last night, after a 3-day stay at the dealership. They had to replace the entire headrest assembly which required removing the entire rear seat and seat cover. No charge. Glad to have an operating third row again.
Thanks very much for reporting back. :thumbsup:

Peter

Update! Dealership called me to let me know they didn't realize that my warranty (Gold CPO) had a $100 deductible, and that they needed to collect payment. I asked them if they could waive the deductible, as we only had the car less than a week before it happened. The salesman said they could ask the used car department to see if they would foot the bill. We'll see what happens from here.

Update! Dealership called me to let me know they didn't realize that my warranty (Gold CPO) had a $100 deductible, and that they needed to collect payment. I asked them if they could waive the deductible, as we only had the car less than a week before it happened. The salesman said they could ask the used car department to see if they would foot the bill. We'll see what happens from here.
I guess now is the time to see how they are with customer relation/satisfaction. In a normal world, I would expect them to take care of. Usually, you would have at least a 30 day warranty that should cover that kind of stuff.

I didn't hear back from him, so I assume no charge. Glad it's handled!

So we picked up a 2020 Explorer XLT the other day. It has the manual flio down 3rd row.
I noticed that something was wrong when we looked on the lot but to me this wasn't a deal breaker as it is just somehting to fix.
Anyway I took one apart last night and confirmed that there is a failure inside the headrest mechanism.

There is a cam that pulls with the cable. The cable is connected to another cam down in the seat so that it pulls this headrest cable at the same time as the cable to release the seat from the upright position.
The cam in the headrest seems to be designed this way so that the first inch or so of strap pull will release the headrest upright locking cam and then the cam/spool thing continues to rotate with the pulling of the main strap/cable but does nothing after that. At this point the continued pulling of the main strap will then pull the second cable (not shown here) to drop the seat itself from the upright position.

VideoCapture_20230927-124501.jpg

The spool was ok. The arm hinging over to the right has a extension that connects into the cam of the spool on left. Looks like the end of that arm that rides in the groove broke off.
VideoCapture_20230927-124702.jpg

So now I will be either finding a way to re engineer these (DIY fix) or see about replacing them.
We got a 3 yr warranty so we can probably just try to use that. But i often just get the warranties for the major issues to be covered (drive train etc) and fix the small stuff myself anyway.
For now I got the one so the headrest is just unlocked and drops down for now.

Anyone know of replacement headrest mechanisms besides the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So we picked up a 2020 Explorer XLT the other day. It has the manual flio down 3rd row.
I noticed that something was wrong when we looked on the lot but to me this wasn't a deal breaker as it is just somehting to fix.
Anyway I took one apart last night and confirmed that there is a failure inside the headrest mechanism.

Anyone know of replacement headrest mechanisms besides the dealer?
I always use Levittown Ford for parts searches but they don't appear to get down to the smaller internal items.
Levittown is a Forum vendor offering members a discount. You could try calling them and speak to Benny about what you need.

Peter

Back