Preventative Transmission Maintenance - 07 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preventative Transmission Maintenance - 07 Sport Trac

dogbus

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac V6
I previously owned a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT which unceremoniously blew it's transmission on the way to the supermarket. I had a long battle with it, trying to diagnose a seemingly haunted PCM, as well as any service on the transmission being a complete pain in the ass. I purchased a 2007 Sport Trac with 70k miles on it and want to know what kind of work I could be doing to keep the transmission in good condition or replace it altogether with a newer build 5R55W (or different transmission?).

What are my options for preventative transmission maintenance?
Failing that, which newer build 5R55W's are worth the investment?
Is it possible to put a different, higher quality transmission in it?

I previously owned a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT which unceremoniously blew it's transmission on the way to the supermarket. I had a long battle with it, trying to diagnose a seemingly haunted PCM, as well as any service on the transmission being a complete pain in the ass. I purchased a 2007 Sport Trac with 70k miles on it and want to know what kind of work I could be doing to keep the transmission in good condition or replace it altogether with a newer build 5R55W (or different transmission?).

What are my options for preventative transmission maintenance?
Failing that, which newer build 5R55W's are worth the investment?
Is it possible to put a different, higher quality transmission in it?
shift kit and sonnax upgrades are good for those trans. aside jusr fluid and filter. only thing better would be to drop a v8 in with a 6r80. are you sure yoi have the 5r? since i thoight the later sport tracs had the 3v and 6r60/80 like the non tracs

shift kit and sonnax upgrades are good for those trans. aside jusr fluid and filter. only thing better would be to drop a v8 in with a 6r80. are you sure yoi have the 5r? since i thoight the later sport tracs had the 3v and 6r60/80 like the non tracs
most research ive done says its a 5r but i wouldnt know any better. how would i change fluid and filter if its a "leakless" transmission and i cant change the fluid without going into a shop? would shift kit/sonnax upgrades be good as preventative? just his about 82k miles on it

most research ive done says its a 5r but i wouldnt know any better. how would i change fluid and filter if its a "leakless" transmission and i cant change the fluid without going into a shop? would shift kit/sonnax upgrades be good as preventative? just his about 82k miles on it
the later ones were sealed trans. they can still be changed however! yes i think for the 5r they are good prevebtatives to prevent flares etc

Back