PLAN B Build | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So again...good news bad news.

Good news- I think I finally got the coilovers adjusted.

Drove it around the neighborhood, and she gets up and moves pretty good. And except for a small exhaust leak by the muffler, runs really smooth.

Bad news - I found coolant on the passenger exhaust manifold, and she was blowing some white smoke. I think I have a blown head gasket. Lucky it's been caught early. But now I'm debating pulling the motor again and just rebuild it. Do the timing chains while it's out, and anything else. Not really looking forward to that though.🙄

Or find a used truck with a bad trans for cheap that runs good.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

..and another parts truck..🙄

20210403_121652.jpg

If that trailer has the same wheel bolt pattern, first thing I would do is put those Explorer wheels on there. If not, save them for me and I will stick them on the boat trailer.

If that trailer has the same wheel bolt pattern, first thing I would do is put those Explorer wheels on there. If not, save them for me and I will stick them on the boat trailer.

I think the trailer is 5x5. I could be wrong though.

Unfortunately, we must sacrifice one for the greater good....:dead:

20210731_200552.jpg

most 3500-5000# trailer axles are 5 on 4.5!!! I bet those wheels would fit
How many miles on donor sport? did it run good? LOL
Is that firewood for your house or for camping? Are you still allowed to burn wood in a fireplace in CA?

He told me the backspacing is all wrong for his trailer so I'm going to try them on my boat trailer. I think they might be too wide. If so, they will be up for grabs again.

most 3500-5000# trailer axles are 5 on 4.5!!! I bet those wheels would fit
How many miles on donor sport? did it run good? LOL
Is that firewood for your house or for camping? Are you still allowed to burn wood in a fireplace in CA?

I was going to put the wheels on my travel trailer, but I would to space them about a inch or they will rub on the frame. Plus the trailer has newer tires, so hard to just walk away from them.

The donor has 172k on it, but runs smooth and no chain rattle. It's been sitting for a few years, and pretty disgusting inside, but the seats are actually in pretty good shape. Body mounts are literally crumbling off it, which is odd. Maybe living in the desert did it.

Wood is for the house. Yes I still have a wood burning fireplace. It's set up for gas, but the wife said she likes the whole natural wood burning thing, so that is how we use it. Nothing like a cracking fire Christmas morning.....even it's going to be 90*.

We do have no burn days, so we can't always use it. There is some scrap wood in the pile, just for Truck Haven bon fires though

consider new tensioners and main tensioner on that SOHC before you drop it in?
Cheap insurance
I would replace both upper tensioners, pull timing cover, remove jack shaft chain and upgrade the main tensioner while engine is out.
Use Ford parts for upper tensioners....OR run stainless manual chain tensioners... $40 ea on Ebay :) Any SOHC engine I own (I don't, but if I did) would get manual tensioners

Actually the plan is to just drop this one in so I rebuild the other one right. The motor in the Navajo only has 100k on it. But has a head gasket leak. Just sat to long (10 years)

I'll be really good at swapping motors...lol

After being forced to stop 2 weeks ago... ( Thank You Covid :fart: ) I have returned and become victorious!

20210814_165443.jpg

Donner is done, and gone

20210827_184129.jpg

After not touching the Navajo for a year, as everything has just been crazy, I decided to go out and buy some inspiration to get moving on this.

40's 😎

20220816_190802.jpg

Carls Jr is selling tires now? Geesh California has some strange stuff

40's!! Navajo?
How much fun is that!
It should be on the menu!!!

Carls Jr is selling tires now? Geesh California has some strange stuff

40's!! Navajo?
How much fun is that!
It should be on the menu!!!
that looks the the new beyond stuff... BEYOND COOL!!!!

Any idea what the difference in weight is? What is the width of the 37s and 40s?

Back