Rear Air Assist Bags

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I want to get some air assist for a better ride and to be able to haul stuff level and safe. I have found kits made by Ride Tech or AirLift for Rangers. I get some time this AM to get some measurements and see if they will fit or be adaptable.

I recently removed Monroe air shocks. The Monroe's were pretty stiff as I am running around without a back seat, so there is less weight to support. The Monroe's are adjustable but you are required to keep a minimum 40lbs, in them. I went with KYB Gas Adjust Shocks and got a better ride. Now, I know when I load a couple bikes on a hitch mount and camping gear,,....................it is likely to sag in the back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does someone make an air shock like the OEM ARC shocks Ford had? Those I have in my 99, and they adjust based on height(weight added), so the empty ride is very good, while it can handle 400+ pounds too. If you plan to haul varying loads, an adjustable system will be best. I hope there is a good air shock you can use and adjust with.

For my last 98 Limited I bought the Timbren rear air bump stops, but hadn't installed them yet. I was waiting to decide on a better shock than the generic helper spring brand it has. I recently bought Rancho 5000 shocks to see if that will be okay, I typically carry 300lbs or more in my truck at work. Then I was going to try the Timbren units, see if they helped the shock to not have bottoming out etc. They make them for the front also, but at the time they were $140 for each end, which is a lot to me for bump stops.

Does someone make an air shock like the OEM ARC shocks Ford had? Those I have in my 99, and they adjust based on height(weight added), so the empty ride is very good, while it can handle 400+ pounds too. If you plan to haul varying loads, an adjustable system will be best. I hope there is a good air shock you can use and adjust with.

For my last 98 Limited I bought the Timbren rear air bump stops, but hadn't installed them yet. I was waiting to decide on a better shock than the generic helper spring brand it has. I recently bought Rancho 5000 shocks to see if that will be okay, I typically carry 300lbs or more in my truck at work. Then I was going to try the Timbren units, see if they helped the shock to not have bottoming out etc. They make them for the front also, but at the time they were $140 for each end, which is a lot to me for bump stops.
i do believe theres a company called duralo(?) thay still makes arc shocks. but then youd need to add compressor etc. i suppose it can be done though but youre the arc expert ;) another similiar option while not air were them monroe load adjusts iirc

The ARC shocks aren't ideal for anyone wanting to adjust the height(pressure) themselves. The stock system is set for one height and the adjustment is not easy and requires the shop manual for the procedure. I think other aftermarket shocks have much more potential with more common inlet air connections, plus user controls in many cases.

The ARC shocks aren't ideal for anyone wanting to adjust the height(pressure) themselves. The stock system is set for one height and the adjustment is not easy and requires the shop manual for the procedure. I think other aftermarket shocks have much more potential with more common inlet air connections, plus user controls in many cases.
ahh, thats true. considered arc lrior to the ome springs since there were sir shocks back tbere, and at times feltna bit lazy to air it up just for s trip to the hardware store 😂 but that is a good poing

I'd like to find the right size air bags to fit between the spring and where the bump stop is. I am looking to remove a leaf and get a better air ride. Air shocks would put too much load on the shock mounts for me, air bags should work.

I think the Ranger bags are too long.

I saw the Timbren's. They won't allow for a softer ride but are designed to steady a load.

A true air ride would be nice with a four link...............then add coil overs up front.

A four link rear suspension would be very nice, if there was space to do it etc. I've daydreamed of an IRS that would swap in there.

Back