Ford Explorer Electric Sales On Track For Early 2025, Details Revealed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Electric Sales On Track For Early 2025, Details Revealed

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best selling SUV in the country. I know, let's screw it up!!

"Back in June, Farley hinted that the company’s future EVs won’t emulate the F-150 Lightning’s approach of looking just like its ICE-powered brethren, and he went so far as to say that traditional Explorer customers may not like the all-electric vehicles the automaker is cooking up, which could indicate that the all-electric version of the crossover will look quite a bit different than the gas model."

I really hope they don't screw this one up, because I am defintely interested in an EV in my future. I would really like that EV to be a Ford Explorer.

If Ford does to the Explorer what they did to the Mustang with the Mach-E then very few will be pleased with the results. The Mach-E looks like a Fusion and Escape had a baby. A very ugly baby.

If Ford does to the Explorer what they did to the Mustang with the Mach-E then very few will be pleased with the results. The Mach-E looks like a Fusion and Escape had a baby. A very ugly baby.
Eh no thanks I don't like the new expeditions face lift and that's supposed to be getting a hybrid. The explorer they killed after the forth gen. I ain't paying up the a for a used electric vehicle or a new one so no thanks.

What was the problem for you with the 4th gen Explorers? Just curious because there wasn't much difference between them and the 3rd gens.

What was the problem for you with the 4th gen Explorers? Just curious because there wasn't much difference between them and the 3rd gens.
No that's not what I meant last good gen! My bad fixed I like 4th gens

I'm not sure why the EV models must look different, it would be nice to have the choice of gas, hybrid or ev in one body style.

No that's not what I meant last good gen! My bad fixed I like 4th gens
This makes sense. I intended to buy a 5th gen Explorer to replace my 3rd gen. The more I looked into them the less I liked them overall. I think they looked nice inside and out but when I started looking at the mechanics underneath I decided to pass and get a 2010 4th gen instead. Ford turned the 5th gen Explorers into pavement queens with very little off road ability. I hate working on transverse mounted engine drive trains. The lack of a V8 was another big issue for me. Then learning about the problems with the internal water pump sealed it for me to take a pass on them.

Have you driven a 6th Gen? Especially an ST?
Yup have token two on test drives one was a 2020 xlt One was a Limited Also took a big bronco the same day as the Limited scared the living daylights out of the sales man jumping on it getting on the highway.

Yup have token two on test drives one was a 2020 xlt One was a Limited Also took a big bronco the same day as the Limited scared the living daylights out of the sales man jumping on it getting on the highway.
If you're referring to the power when getting on the highway then you should have tried the ST. Big difference in engines between it and the Limited.

Peter

This makes sense. I intended to buy a 5th gen Explorer to replace my 3rd gen. The more I looked into them the less I liked them overall. I think they looked nice inside and out but when I started looking at the mechanics underneath I decided to pass and get a 2010 4th gen instead. Ford turned the 5th gen Explorers into pavement queens with very little off road ability. I hate working on transverse mounted engine drive trains. The lack of a V8 was another big issue for me. Then learning about the problems with the internal water pump sealed it for me to take a pass on them.
My parents had a 5th gen for maybe 8 months but then realized it couldn't keep up with our winters so long story short we got our mkz and then ranger.

If you're referring to the power when getting on the highway then you should have tried the ST. Big difference in engines between it and the Limited.

Peter
I meant with the bronco lol. I took a look at that xlt back in 2020 when my parents got there ranger the limited after I got my yukon xl. Probably about 14 months after. The bronco had the 2.7 no Bigfoot. Like I said he was scared to death when I floored it.

My parents had a 5th gen for maybe 8 months but then realized it couldn't keep up with our winters so long story short we got our mkz and then ranger.
If it didn't have dedicated winter tires then I can definitely see why. I had a 2011 Limited and used winter tires and never had an issue. Went through some pretty good snow drifts using Snow mode. Then had a 2017 Platinum, same setup and no problems.

Peter

scared the living daylights out of the sales man jumping on it getting on the highway.

Me too... LOL
The freeway ramp is right next to the dealers lot. I had a car in front of me that I felt was going to slow. I was going by seat of the pants and not the speedo. When I could I jumped out from behind him and changed lanes. Looked at the speedo and I was doing 90+. I just started laughing. That little run sold me on the truck :D

Best part is it gets better fuel economy than our '93 Explorer with 160hp and much less weight.
We've had the '20 Explorer for 25,000 miles now and no issues. It still hasn't been back to the dealership. I do all my regular maintenance at home.

Me too... LOL
The freeway ramp is right next to the dealers lot. I had a car in front of me that I felt was going to slow. I was going by seat of the pants and not the speedo. When I could I jumped out from behind him and changed lanes. Looked at the speedo and I was doing 90+. I just started laughing. That little run sold me on the truck :D

Best part is it gets better fuel economy than our '93 Explorer with 160hp and much less weight.
We've had the '20 Explorer for 25,000 miles now and no issues. It still hasn't been back to the dealership. I do all my regular maintenance at home.
Out of curiosity is yours the high prefromance or standard ST?

"Back in June, Farley hinted that the company’s future EVs won’t emulate the F-150 Lightning’s approach of looking just like its ICE-powered brethren, and he went so far as to say that traditional Explorer customers may not like the all-electric vehicles the automaker is cooking up, which could indicate that the all-electric version of the crossover will look quite a bit different than the gas model."

I really hope they don't screw this one up, because I am defintely interested in an EV in my future. I would really like that EV to be a Ford Explorer.

I'd like to know who Mr. Falrey thinks is a traditional Explorer customer and why they may not like the EV version.

Doesnt anyone else think it's really odd that the CEO of a company would pre-bias their customers by saying "You may not to like it" ....is this a reverse psychology move where we are already predisposed to not like it, so we actually like it? At least they are moving the BEV Explorer to Canuckastan where the plant employees don't sabotage the product as frequently as they do at CAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it didn't have dedicated winter tires then I can definitely see why. I had a 2011 Limited and used winter tires and never had an issue. Went through some pretty good snow drifts using Snow mode. Then had a 2017 Platinum, same setup and no problems.

Peter
I run dedicated winter tires on my 5th gen PIU with absolutely no problems. Never skimp on the tires!

If the EV's aren't going to look like the ICE models, what will be the styling difference between the two then? Or will there be no more ICE models?

Back