rusted out quarter panel fuel filler area- repair under way | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rusted out quarter panel fuel filler area- repair under way

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
Is there a cover below the driver rear quarter panel fuel filler area? my 95 ex is rusted out. What i found was the filler neck is in a plastic dugout, which is inside a half dome. The half dome is rusted thru. the area by the filler neck rusted thru and the wheel well. If there was a cover or shield below , there would not be a problem. The repair is almost complete.
DSC01674.JPG
DSC01700.JPG
DSC01749.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a cover below the driver rear quarter panel fuel filler area? my 95 ex is rusted out. What i found was the filler neck is in a plastic dugout, which is inside a half dome. The half dome is rusted thru. the area by the filler neck rusted thru and the wheel well. If there was a cover or shield below , there would not be a problem. The repair is almost complete.View attachment 434418View attachment 434419View attachment 434420
1. sheesh thats alot of rust!!!!
2. no cover according to this photo from my write up a while ago
1663100020999.png

1663100006538.png

Is there a cover below the driver rear quarter panel fuel filler area? my 95 ex is rusted out. What i found was the filler neck is in a plastic dugout, which is inside a half dome. The half dome is rusted thru. the area by the filler neck rusted thru and the wheel well. If there was a cover or shield below , there would not be a problem. The repair is almost complete.View attachment 434418View attachment 434419View attachment 434420
Bro that rust is insane

If you haven't gotten around to the final color coat of paint yet, you could maybe make a shield to at least divert away what comes off the tire, rivet that to the new metal wheel well arch (assuming what we see by your blue picture, that is welded on metal from a donor vehicle, not just screen and bondo?) where you put indentations and body filler over those indentations after riveted?

I might be making up nonsense, am not much into bodywork and can't tell from this topic's pics, how much clearance there would be for suspension travel if it isn't an elaborately shaped shield. I was thinking just take a piece of sheet metal, put right angle bends along the long sides, one side for fender mounting and the other side for rigidity, then arc the length of it to fit the area. Since it isn't being welded on, plastic sheeting and a heat gun to shape it, might work too. You'd ideally want some kind of goop between the wheel well metal and this shield so water isn't trapped there. Maybe just plain old caulking would work or body adhesive or...

If you haven't gotten around to the final color coat of paint yet, you could maybe make a shield to at least divert away what comes off the tire, rivet that to the new metal wheel well arch (assuming what we see by your blue picture, that is welded on metal from a donor vehicle, not just screen and bondo?) where you put indentations and body filler over those indentations after riveted?

I might be making up nonsense, am not much into bodywork and can't tell from this topic's pics, how much clearance there would be for suspension travel if it isn't an elaborately shaped shield. I was thinking just take a piece of sheet metal, put right angle bends along the long sides, one side for fender mounting and the other side for rigidity, then arc the length of it to fit the area. Since it isn't being welded on, plastic sheeting and a heat gun to shape it, might work too. You'd ideally want some kind of goop between the wheel well metal and this shield so water isn't trapped there. Maybe just plain old caulking would work or body adhesive or...
I am thinking about a rubber shield. A stair thread or a rubber mat cut to fit, (even out of figerglass) that run from the rear wheel well to rear bumper. I am thinking of attaching it to the rear wheel well lip or marking a mount between the frame and the rear wheel well lip.

Back