Anyone with $20k to spare? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with $20k to spare?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to KBB, the Navajo is a $2,600 car. Excellent condition private party sale.

The high-end value of the Limited is $2,700.

High-end value of the 2 wheel drive is only $2,250.

Those sellers are dreaming.

According to KBB, the Navajo is a $2,600 car. Excellent condition private party sale.

You also got to remember people think they can get this much just cause oh there a chip shortage that means oh its a car shortage. They want my 30 year old vehicle to keep in the garage.

Things have changed a lot since COVID. I bought my 2010 Mountaineer for $6,500 in November of 2019. Today I see them going for $10k-$12k.

Things have changed a lot since COVID. I bought my 2010 Mountaineer for $6,500 in November of 2019. Today I see them going for $10k-$12k.
I' seen 1 just like mine for 3 grand yesterday
Seems kind of high considering

Those things most sip on the highway lol that's crazy low
3.07 is miserable, the 4.0 doesn't have enough power for that gear ratio. Fuel economy would be ok where the speed limit is 85 mph

3.07 is miserable, the 4.0 doesn't have enough power for that gear ratio. Fuel economy would be ok where the speed limit is 85 mph
I mean yeah I can see that do to the fact I had one with 3.55 and I felt it couldn't get out of its own way in 5th hate to say it.

I' seen 1 just like mine for 3 grand yesterday
Seems kind of high considering
Up in my area everything is priced high and what isn't priced high has crazy high mileage on them. My nephew just paid $8k for a 2008 four cylinder base model Escape with 78k miles on it. I helped him search for one and the pickings were slim. Lots of scammers out there taking advantage of people with false advertising. He looked at 4-5 different vehicles before finding the one he bought. There were 2-3 that were bought before he could get to the lot to see them. They weren't up for sale more than 24-36 hours before they sold. The good ones get sold very quickly.

I have two sets of 3.08:1 gears new in boxes for my 98 project, they can work well if the transmission gearing matches it(4.17:1 1st gear).

Try to find a Lincoln Blackwood for sale, those should all be low mileage. I saw one here two weeks ago in the parking lot where I was going to the county clerk. I loved the look of those, but they were not useful as trucks, just pretty to look at.

02 Blackwood.jpg 02 Blackwood rear.jpg

I have two sets of 3.08:1 gears new in boxes for my 98 project, they can work well if the transmission gearing matches it(4.17:1 1st gear).
Also helps to have an engine that makes more than 225 twist.

Up in my area everything is priced high and what isn't priced high has crazy high mileage on them. My nephew just paid $8k for a 2008 four cylinder base model Escape with 78k miles on it. I helped him search for one and the pickings were slim. Lots of scammers out there taking advantage of people with false advertising. He looked at 4-5 different vehicles before finding the one he bought. There were 2-3 that were bought before he could get to the lot to see them. They weren't up for sale more than 24-36 hours before they sold. The good ones get sold very quickly.
High enough here too, if you don't want a rustbucket! The salt just eats them up. I'd pay the 5K for the 92 creampuff Ex myself if I didn't have mine. The Blue Book value is one thing, I'd prefer a lower tech less parts to replace 90s vehicle over the offerings since say 2010 or so. Pay it off quick and ride away!
It probably doesn't matter what tires they put on it. So far it has seen is around 425 miles per year on average. The tires will dry rot long before they wear out.
Goodyear Wrangler Radials - I have those, with the M+S on them. Seem to be a softer tire, great in snow, have read they might hydroplane however. Wouldn't expect a lot more than 20 - 30K from them. Is that the 'why' for the 'garbage' label?

High enough here too, if you don't want a rustbucket! The salt just eats them up. I'd pay the 5K for the 92 creampuff Ex myself if I didn't have mine. The Blue Book value is one thing, I'd prefer a lower tech less parts to replace 90s vehicle over the offerings since say 2010 or so. Pay it off quick and ride away!
I am glad I replaced my 2002 in 2019 before things got crazy. I have probably done about $2.5k in repairs and maintenance (radiator, tires, full brake job, full fluid swap, Y heater hose, front sway bar bushings, plugs, ignition cylinder) to it since I bought to get it completely sorted out for an all in cost $9k all in. Not a bad price to have a completely optioned out, dependable, rust free 2010 Mountaineer, IMO. Plus, I know how to fix it or to make sure a mechanic fixes it properly.

I was also lucky to buy the 2007 Steeda Mustang that year too. I got a screaming good deal on it with 52k miles and in perfect, bone stock condition. I could probably sell it today for close to twice what I paid for it.
Goodyear Wrangler Radials - I have those, with the M+S on them. Seem to be a softer tire, great in snow, have read they might hydroplane however. Wouldn't expect a lot more than 20 - 30K from them. Is that the 'why' for the 'garbage' label?
I don't know why they would be considered garbage for pavement use or lite off roading.

Try to find a Lincoln Blackwood for sale, those should all be low mileage. I saw one here two weeks ago in the parking lot where I was going to the county clerk. I loved the look of those, but they were not useful as trucks, just pretty to look at.
I like the looks of these too inside and outside. Unfortunately they come with the 5.4L 3V engine and its inherent oiling issues.

I like the looks of these too inside and outside. Unfortunately they come with the 5.4L 3V engine and its inherent oiling issues.
I loved it when it first came out, I saw it as a high luxury version of the Harley Davidson F150, minus the Lightning drivetrain. That engine combination is what I would want it for, mix in the Lightning suspension parts and tires, and then it would be a fun DD. It would be a really nice traveling truck for 3-4 people, a towing truck, a vacation truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's beautiful, but that's about what they cost new. Fuggetaboutit!. LOL

Back