Check Your Fan Blade!!!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Your Fan Blade!!!!!

What electric did you use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm apparently one of the few who's experienced a catastrophic fan failure. Eight years ago my wife started off for work in our '94 Explorer. She didn't notice the plastic fan had come apart on startup. She probably would have gotten to work and back ok since the temperature was around freezing and most of her 5-6 mile drive was on the freeway, but there was an accident and she got stuck idling in traffic and the Ex overheated. It died and wouldn't restart. By the time her dad came to help, it had cooled off enough to restart. They got it to a mechanic who said based on the way it smelled, the engine was cooked and not worth fixing. By this time the Explorer was an extra vehicle, and it just felt tired and worn out even though it didn't look bad, so we moved on.

Dude, I got the same cracks and already find a good fan but can't replace it. Does anyone heard about blown fans? When they finally brakes and crush everything under the hood?

Ours broke right when the engine started and the Explorer was still parked. I would think it might cause a lot of damage at higher rpms.

Dude, I got the same cracks and already find a good fan but can't replace it. Does anyone heard about blown fans? When they finally brakes and crush everything under the hood?
Why can't you replace the fan? Just need a fan clutch tool. Might as well replace the fan clutch while it's off.

Why can't you replace the fan? Just need a fan clutch tool. Might as well replace the fan clutch while it's off.
got no such tool

After it explodes and takes out the radiator and mangled the hood you’ll need to buy the tool. Or, you could just buy it first.

@cober

1 1/2"

IMG_20221005_102436690.jpg
IMG_20221005_102457801.jpg
IMG_20221005_102514583.jpg

After it explodes and takes out the radiator and mangled the hood you’ll need to buy the tool. Or, you could just buy it first.
give me one example, when it exploded? I've never seen any

I'm apparently one of the few who's experienced a catastrophic fan failure. Eight years ago my wife started off for work in our '94 Explorer. She didn't notice the plastic fan had come apart on startup. She probably would have gotten to work and back ok since the temperature was around freezing and most of her 5-6 mile drive was on the freeway, but there was an accident and she got stuck idling in traffic and the Ex overheated. It died and wouldn't restart. By the time her dad came to help, it had cooled off enough to restart. They got it to a mechanic who said based on the way it smelled, the engine was cooked and not worth fixing. By this time the Explorer was an extra vehicle, and it just felt tired and worn out even though it didn't look bad, so we moved on.
@cober you really need to read threads before posting. It's right there under your first time asking

@cober you really need to read threads before posting. It's right there under your first time asking
no it ain't, those was about fan fell off, not blown... and I got external ECM so my engine won't overheat

give me one example, when it exploded? I've never seen any
They’ve exploded. If you’d like an example, search for it. Your radiator means very little to me.

38mm then

1.5 x 25.4 = your conversion
1"= 25.4mm

Edited for correction
Please don't feed the troll. He can figure this out for himself. We use the Standard or Imperial System here, but most of the cars we work on use a mix of metric and standard fasteners. Just because his country uses the Metric System doesn't mean there is no access to standard tools. If that were the case, I wouldn't lose so many 10mm sockets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please don't feed the troll. He can figure this out for himself. We use the Standard or Imperial System here, but most of the cars we work on use a mix of metric and standard fasteners. Just because his country uses the Metric System doesn't mean there is no access to standard tools. If that were the case, I wouldn't lose so many 10mm sockets.
Dude, I have abso-freaking-lutely NO acces to Imperial System tools. Maybe there's at dealership, but Ford has gone from Russia if you didn't know. Such as ebay and others. So who troll is?

Back