Tire Recommendations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Recommendations?

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
I'm looking for new tires on my 2017 PIU and was wondering if you all recommend staying with the Goodyear RS-A or use a different brand. I live in California and rarely ever have to deal with rain/snow. I still have the steelies and plan on staying with 245/55R18.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rarely are OE's the best choice. they can be good choices, but many are far from best they seem alright, but i will say the continental extreme contact dws 06 seems to be an excellent tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R8DWS06P&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

price wise they are somewhat similiar, and they seem like great tires. it does say ice/snow is good, not great, but in burbank, there is no snow in recent years! :D just occasional rain.

Hello Neighbor (Simi Valley here, so same climate/conditions for anyone that reads this):

I got into the General GMax AS-05 about a year ago, and I can vouch for them as fantastic tires.

I went to a Just Tires here in Simi Valley, and though they are not Goodyear products, they were able to order them for me. I didn't want the RS-As because of their short tread life. The General GMax has similar performance specifications, and were a good deal cheaper than the RS-A.

I get the tires rotated at every 5000 mile oil change, and then again at the 2500 mark at Just Tires (lifetime rotation and balance, plus for $179.00 I have their 3-year unlimited alignment), and I've put probably 20k miles on them and they have a good amount of life left (at least half by my eye-crometer).

No appreciable road noise, and cornering/handling is about as much as I want for such a high CG on the vehicle (I grew up racing Volkswagens on Mulholland in the early '90s, so I remain fairly aggressive in my driving style).

Went up to Big Bear last winter and had snow chains on fronts - traction was acceptable as well.

Just my $0.02.

Nathan

(I grew up racing Volkswagens on Mulholland in the early '90s, so I remain fairly aggressive in my driving style).
now thats the kind of tire tester we look for!!!!!!!! also, offtopic, but really odd weather for an october lately!!!! its been cool, cloudy, its been great!!!! valley, so also very similiar weather to simi and burbank. also a few early sprinklings of rain :D

I'm looking for new tires on my 2017 PIU and was wondering if you all recommend staying with the Goodyear RS-A or use a different brand. I live in California and rarely ever have to deal with rain/snow. I still have the steelies and plan on staying with 245/55R18.
You may also be interested in this thread; Time for tires

Peter

now thats the kind of tire tester we look for!!!!!!!! also, offtopic, but really odd weather for an october lately!!!! its been cool, cloudy, its been great!!!! valley, so also very similiar weather to simi and burbank. also a few early sprinklings of rain :D

HA - it was a long time ago, in a very different world. You can thank me, and the group I was with, for the law enforcement finally giving up on chasing us and just leaving water running across the roads to slow us down (and create a hazard to everyone). Side note - That didn't even work, I went ahead and purchased some Avon TurboSpeed tires, made in England, that were high performance wet/dry traction. :) Don't threaten me with a good time.

It is strange weather for sure - hot, hot, hot, then very cold and damp. People here just lose their minds when it lightly sprinkles.

On a side-note, just saw this 'similar thread' below:

New General G-Max Justice Tires

Tire Rack ahs the G-Max AS-05s at $193.99/ea, and the G-Max Justice at $222.36/ea.

The tread pattern looks an awful lot alike, with the Justice having a bit less treadlife (500 vs. 440)

HA - it was a long time ago, in a very different world. You can thank me, and the group I was with, for the law enforcement finally giving up on chasing us and just leaving water running across the roads to slow us down (and create a hazard to everyone). Side note - That didn't even work, I went ahead and purchased some Avon TurboSpeed tires, made in England, that were high performance wet/dry traction. :) Don't threaten me with a good time.

It is strange weather for sure - hot, hot, hot, then very cold and damp. People here just lose their minds when it lightly sprinkles.
haha!!!! the summer was especially hot and dry this year, but all of a sudden, its been getting rather cool! just hope it can stay like this, or maybe even most of the year! at this rate, we can hope maybe for a light snow dusting in january ;) :D maybe, just maybe! maybe gorman will get more snow, since last year it was kind of sparse. and yep, 405 doesnt change much, since they cant move anyways, but 118 and 210, those for sure get slower!

UPDATE ON GENERAL G-MAX AS-05s

Good afternoon everyone:

Had the tires for just under 30k miles. They were good in the wet, great dry, and were not terrible the one time I had them in snow with chains.

They all of the sudden started to have wear on the outside fronts, which the tire shop mainly attributed to my 'spirited' driving style. (good times) They also mentioned having other PIUs in that had similar issues, but as stated above, I do an alignment check every 5k miles, and everything has been spot-on. My guesstimate about being halfway through the tread at 20k was off by 50% apparently, but still I'm not complaining.

They are being discontinued for the G-Max AS-07, however I had a deal I couldn't pass up on Goodyear Eagle Sports, so I'm running those now. They are already a little louder, but I've only driven about 20 miles so that may change.

I would recommend the Generals if they were still being offered; even if you get them on closeout, I think they were great for the application. Unknown on the AS-07s, but the specs seem to be fairly similar to the -05, tread pictures/etc.

- nathan

I just got my 2015 PIU, a retired Michigan State Police vehicle, about a month ago. Needed new tires, so I ended up getting the same Nokian tires that the MSP use on their in-service vehicles, and so far no complaints as to how they handle on snow. 60K mile rated.

Well here's another review to confuse you. I posted a request for a tire recommendation back in August and had some good recommendations like you've gotten. One of the members, J-C recommended Continental CrossContact LX25's and I pick up a set a few weeks ago. While I don't have many miles on them I am very happy with them. I think they look better than the OEM's , they seem a bit wider? They ride well i.e. not harsh like the OEM's, are quiet and handle fine for my driving. They seem good in rain and it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to test them in the snow this year in north GA. All in all I'm happy with them and would recommend them. I'll post something about them once I get some more miles on them and let you know how they did.

Good luck with your quest,

confront.jpg

Conrear.jpg

Back