Replacement rear diff fill plug! Where do you buy a new one for 95? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement rear diff fill plug! Where do you buy a new one for 95?

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
Replacement rear diff fill plug! Where do you buy a new one for 95?
Are all the rear diff Fill plug the same for all the years?
Are all the rear diff Fill plug the same for all the makes and model fords?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe they use a standard 1/2" NPT plug. Hopefully someone can confirm.

I too think it is probably 1/2" NPT, with part #s older to newer:

373098-S100 (not sure if they were magnetic by this # or not)
390943-S100 (discontinued and replaced by: )
390943-S101

Junkyard

Just go to any auto store in the world. They’ll have them in stock. Could also get one at any decent hardware store.

Just go to any auto store in the world. They’ll have them in stock. Could also get one at any decent hardware store.
The plug was not available at rockauto, no listing at autozone, advance and o'reillys. Only summit, and NPD show the plug in stock, but not listed for the explorer.

This type of part is often not listed as vehicle specific, just generic listings and Rock Auto's search engine isn't the greatest.

Google search for rock auto 1/2" NPT plug gives this hit, with the Dorman on the 2nd link:

Once the Dorman part # 090100 is known, can find it on Amazon and some of the auto parts stores, though at least a couple are out of stock. There is no mention of it being magnetic, nor would I expect them to be if (another brand is found...) in the plumbing dept. of hardware stores. I'm not suggesting that magnetic is important, but someone, somewhere, felt it was.

The plug was not available at rockauto, no listing at autozone, advance and o'reillys. Only summit, and NPD show the plug in stock, but not listed for the explorer.
Dude find a scrapyard and grab one the 8.8 was used in a lot of vehicles

Yeah, false. It’s not listed because it’s a piece of hardware. You’re not going to have a m10x1.5 specifically for an Explorer, either. It’s a 1/2-14 NPT. Advance Auto surely has them, I purchased one a few months ago.

Advanced Auto

O’Reiley’s

Autozone

Amazon
Joywayus 2Pcs Stainless Steel Internal Hex Countersunk Thread Socket Pipe Plug 1/2"NPT Male

Napa

No need to go through the hassle of getting an old crusty one from a junkyard. They are readily available for single dollars about anywhere.

Hell, I even have them laying around in stainless. If they are truly impossible to find local (they aren’t) I’ll send ya one free.

image.jpg

Fancy lol

Let's make a deal. What's behind door #2? Seriously, that does look nice.
Behind door number 2 is a 3/4” with a 1/2” plug, in lovely 316 stainless.

image.jpg

That would fit the 23k lb axle in my freightliner

I could polish it to look like chrome…
What do you use to polish stainless? Everything I've tried leaves a hazy film. That used to be a lot brighter

16700793811215774666089807760408.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A fairly aggressive polishing compound and a scotch bright wheel. It’s more matte than actual chrome, but with enough elbow grease it can get fairly bright.

Back