UK 1998 Generation 2 Explorer for sale | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UK 1998 Generation 2 Explorer for sale

kellen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
My wife's Explorer is for sale. It is a 1998 and she has owned it for circa 22 years with one previous lady owner.

This car has been well loved and has loads of history.

It is pacific green with an excellent velour interior. It was bought from a main dealer.

For the last few years, it has had little use. Just a few hundred miles a year and was garaged. It drove beautifully, though, and was MOT'd every year. It had a lovely quiet engine and a great gearbox. The Explorer had been serviced in franchise for many years....much longer than it should have been. Justin, at Explorer Parts also did work on it, including the timing chains etc. The only issue I was aware of was rust in the rear bumper and the AC needed recharging.

Just before Christmas 2021, I went to start the Explorer, to drive and collect the Christmas tree. Unfortunately, it would not start. It cranked but would not fire. It sat in the garage for many months.

Eventually, after standing for some 9 months, it was sent to a local garage. The garage identified that the fuel pump had failed. This was replaced and the Explorer fired up straight away. However...horror, the top end had a rattle, which it had not had before it stood for 9 months. A new exhaust was fitted and it sailed through its MOT. It has an MOT until 7 October 2023.

I am not sure what the problem is...it did not have it before. Those who know better than me, have suggested that the timing chain hydraulic tensioners could be clogged up after sitting for so long and have suggested a flush. However, I do not know. After much debate, we have decided to sell our long-term explorer.

It is MOT'd and drives OK, but just has a rattle...apparently coming from the top right bank of the engine as you look at it.

It is really far to good to scrap.....I have tried to attach pictures, but cannot get it to work. I can email them, if wanted. You can PM me your email address......or someone can explain how to attach pictures.

I talked to my local scrapman and he has offered £700. Very low and really, I think, too good to scrap. However, I will take offers in excess £1,000 , from someone on the forum, who is going to sort the issue and enjoy her. She is MOT'd and driving. I will leave her on the forum for a week and will then put her on Gumtree or Ebay. If it does not sell, I will sell her to the scrapman.

I have never felt this about a vehicle, but we will be truly sad to see her go. She has been part of the family for circa 22 years.

Thanks

Neil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've literally just landed in the UK about 4hrs ago. As much as I'd love to save another one, I currently have no funds. Mine has been off the road since April. If you're in the Facebook group you may get more traffic than here. Hopefully it goes to a good home

Si

Rattle on the top of the motor equals timing chain components
Good luck

got pics? love velour!

I've literally just landed in the UK about 4hrs ago. As much as I'd love to save another one, I currently have no funds. Mine has been off the road since April. If you're in the Facebook group you may get more traffic than here. Hopefully it goes to a good home

Si
Hi Si

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, I have never been on Facebook. I would prefer it to go to a good home, particularly as there are only 250 left on the road in the UK. I hope you get around to fixing yours.

Neil

I would add pics, but cannot work out how to do it. Any tips?
since you are not an elite member, the photos cannot the hoisted here. 3rd party hosting sites, such as photo bucket, imgur, etc exist for such purposes.

My wife's Explorer is for sale. It is a 1998 and she has owned it for circa 22 years with one previous lady owner.

This car has been well loved and has loads of history.

It is pacific green with an excellent velour interior. It was bought from a main dealer.

For the last few years, it has had little use. Just a few hundred miles a year and was garaged. It drove beautifully, though, and was MOT'd every year. It had a lovely quiet engine and a great gearbox. The Explorer had been serviced in franchise for many years....much longer than it should have been. Justin, at Explorer Parts also did work on it, including the timing chains etc. The only issue I was aware of was rust in the rear bumper and the AC needed recharging.

Just before Christmas 2021, I went to start the Explorer, to drive and collect the Christmas tree. Unfortunately, it would not start. It cranked but would not fire. It sat in the garage for many months.

Eventually, after standing for some 9 months, it was sent to a local garage. The garage identified that the fuel pump had failed. This was replaced and the Explorer fired up straight away. However...horror, the top end had a rattle, which it had not had before it stood for 9 months. A new exhaust was fitted and it sailed through its MOT. It has an MOT until 7 October 2023.

I am not sure what the problem is...it did not have it before. Those who know better than me, have suggested that the timing chain hydraulic tensioners could be clogged up after sitting for so long and have suggested a flush. However, I do not know. After much debate, we have decided to sell our long-term explorer.

It is MOT'd and drives OK, but just has a rattle...apparently coming from the top right bank of the engine as you look at it.

It is really far to good to scrap.....I have tried to attach pictures, but cannot get it to work. I can email them, if wanted. You can PM me your email address......or someone can explain how to attach pictures.

I talked to my local scrapman and he has offered £700. Very low and really, I think, too good to scrap. However, I will take offers in excess £1,000 , from someone on the forum, who is going to sort the issue and enjoy her. She is MOT'd and driving. I will leave her on the forum for a week and will then put her on Gumtree or Ebay. If it does not sell, I will sell her to the scrapman.

I have never felt this about a vehicle, but we will be truly sad to see her go. She has been part of the family for circa 22 years.

Thanks

Neil

What is the oil like, how old is it usually between changes, what quality has been used? If the SOHC gets synthetic oil all of its life, and changed before 5k miles(say 8k kilometers), then it may be saveable. Don't sell it off fast just to get rid of it, be sure the oil is top quality and full, and drive it gently while trying to find a way to fix it or sell it to someone who will take care of it.

GLWTS,

Back