Replacement Engine Help - 2013 Explorer 3.5 Non Turbo 3.5l v6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Engine Help - 2013 Explorer 3.5 Non Turbo 3.5l v6

Jricer3

Reaction score
City, State
Chubbuck
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4wd
I have a 2013 explorer 3.5l v6 non turbo no oil cooling. My engine is toast. I’m looking for a replacement engine and was wondering what years and models would match up with my 3.5L. My VIN is the 8 for the 8th digit.

Had a scrap yard tell me they had a 2017 that would work but I’m questioning if that year is compatible.

Thanks for the help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VIN
1FM5K8F87DGC20319

No worries with electrical connectors and wiring between a 2013 and 2017?? That’s what worries me.

No worries with electrical connectors and wiring between a 2013 and 2017?? That’s what worries me.
I'm afraid I can't answer that question. The 206 Explorer was a 'refresh' and I know there were certain items that were changed so that some pre 2016 features would not work on post 2016 Explorers. I believe most of it was software related.

Peter

Lots of times the only changes to the “complete engine assembly” are accessories. The long block or short block are still the same though. You could double and triple check by using the eBay menus and another used engine reseller’s website. The least wasteful way to go about this would be to just get a long block(basic engine less intake, wiring, & accessories) and transfer your existing parts.

Try to find out if the water pump and timing components have been replaced on whichever engine you decide on. If not, or if there are a pile of miles and uncertain history, definitely budget for that. You don’t want to go through the hassle of an engine replacement and then have to tear the thing half apart again in the car not far in the future. Or even worse, have the original water pump leak and destroy the used engine…

Long block is the same 11-19. Cam sensors change over the years as well as heater hose connection at lower intake. All are minor differences and you would just use you old one. If your mechanic knows what he's doing he will reuse your 2013 harness and anything else to get the swap done. +1 on replacing the water pump before installing.

@Jricer3 , you have your answers. Now get busy

Just use the 2017 block and then swap everything else from your old engine including full harness. The electric system changed in 2016.

Back