1978 Mustang II refurbishment thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1978 Mustang II refurbishment thread

4R70W transmission. I'll upgrade the rear axle to an 8.8. I have brackets that use the 99-04 mustang cobra rotor and calipers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone watching this thread, payment is being made for the car.

Yep! Thursday afternoon a 20x20 carport is going up from the proceeds from the '63 Galaxie. Then Friday, Josh's '78 M II along with 2 '66 Mustang coupes will go under the carport. The M II will be parked in between them up until Christmas! Merry Christmas!

So cool! Congrats on the hot rod project!!

lets see carport is it metal or wood?
After putting it off for a year or so I finally spent two days and emptied my entire carport (lots of parts and machines) organized the whole she bang, re installed everything and then dumped 4 yards of rock into it........finally! Carports are necessary!!!!!!! Im planning an 8' extension hahahaha it never ends

In August 2020 I purchased 25 tons of crushed limestone. It was $400-. A few months later, I got a load for home $500. August 2021 we sold a truck cab for $500- and sat on the cash to get a load of gravel to use beside the sea(C)box. By Aug 2022 when we had cleaned up enough to call the gravel truck, It was $600- for 25 tons. I feel really bad having to pay that much. The quarry has a mountain that they have been working from for 70 years and there is at least that much more still remaining. Below is a picture of the last load spread waiting for the 20x20 carport. It is due this afternoon. I will add pictures to this post as they work instead of a post per picture.
25tongravel.jpg

cp2.jpg

cp3.jpg

cp4.jpg

cp5.jpg
It took 4 Mexicans from 4:30 to 6:00 pm, 1 and a half hours to totally install the 20x20. They are pulling out of the driveway headed to a Chinese buffet.

Very nice, I have had lots of people with those in driveways I've delivered to. They are a little short for men 6' or taller, but they are sturdy and seem to last for ages. What do those cost by the way?

@CDW6212R $2039-. This one was special ordered with 7' legs instead of 6'.

Friday afternoon
mIIincarport.jpg

ladder is 8 ft tall

Excellent, that looks like a great height.

I leave Phoenix on Friday loaded to Alabama. Sometime Monday this chariot will be loaded in my trailer. The plan is to have a flatbed tow truck pick it up and we push it into a 53 foot van trailer. The trailer has E-track posts every 4 feet so I'll strap it to the walls. I transported my 68 cougar from CA to AZ this way and my roommate's 89 F250 from Iowa here as well. I'll post pictures here of it being loaded then start a new thread to document the restoration progress. I'm looking forward to this adventure!

I talked to Dustin, the rollback operator, this afternoon. I told him that I would communicate with Josh Friday midday and update him (Dustin). We started rearranging stuff and vehicles to run the MII across the 4 poster one last time to drain the fluids. (Josh )Sounds like you have hauled a vehicle a time or two. Might have a transport connection, LOL.
I sent to you Josh, the e-mail showing how to enter our street.
I will add a link to Josh's new thread at that time. I was telling Dustin about the future 1978 Mustang II powered by an Explorer 5.0/4R70W/8.8 including harness and computer. It will need larger wheels and tires to apply the amount of power to the ground that will be stuffed into the Mustang II. I can't wait to see the end result. Me and brother Ken are glad that it is going to be fixed up like this solid, salt free vehicle deserves!
Text me Friday as you get rolling.:burnout:

The 1978 Mustang II is back on the lift to have the fluids drained. This is the last time that it will take a ride on the elevator. We (the Shop) have owned it ~2.5 years and now I don't think I could do without the 4 post lift. I looked at prices on them last week and it is $500- more than it was September 2020.
mii1-4-23.jpg

This Mustang II was purchased new 45 years ago at Woody Anderson Ford dealership Locally in Huntsville Alabama.
miiwaford.jpg

It will be sad to see it go. I've never rode in a V-8 powered MII. In 1978 while still in High school, I rode in a 4 cylinder 1975 MII.

I've never rode in a V-8 powered MII. In 1978 while still in High school, I rode in a 4 cylinder 1975 MII.
Maybe when I get it running, that could be an excuse for a road trip. From what I hear, you need to keep a case of depends in the car with a built 302 under the hood.

MII 2bbl V-8 specs

MII 2bbl V-8 specs
139 neck snapping hp. Aluminum heads and intake can get the car down to about 2700 lbs. A 363 stroker making a modest 400 hp will trap 130mph in the low 11 second range if you could get traction.

I've got a 347 you might talk me out of, that might break the 7.5 rear in that car though.
;)

347 Canfields.jpg

@CDW6212R The Mustang II V-8 cars came with an 8 inch. I've never broke one.

You gotta have traction to break one. My 68 cougar had an 8 inch axle with a low 3 ratio. Car is far more fun to drive with the explorer 8.8 and 3.73 ratio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right, 9" versus 8" in the old Fords. My friend and I were collecting parts 20ish years ago, and we both bought a Turbo Coupe rear from a JY. One ended up being a 7.5", we didn't know that some years they didn't get the 8.8 diff. So we have a 3.45:1 rear stored away, and other assorted diff's too. We need to clean up some stuff of course.

Back