• Register Today It's free!

Climate Control Reset

20 Red Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Market
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
2020 Explorer XLT base model. Climate controls worked perfectly since new. Couple days ago early in the morning the heater and defroster were on and the driver side worked with proper heat but the passenger side was cold so only the left half of windshield cleared up and the passenger side did not. No passenger heat from dash or floor either and the rear unit doesn't heat/cool as it should and the air does not blow from the proper outlets. I've seen on several sites that I visited that maybe it only needs a reset of some kind but haven't found and instructions for a 20 Explorer with standard climate controls. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem on 2014 Explorer, turned out to be a solenoid that controls the blend door. It was repaired under my extended warranty.

Bill

2020 Explorer XLT base model. Climate controls worked perfectly since new. Couple days ago early in the morning the heater and defroster were on and the driver side worked with proper heat but the passenger side was cold so only the left half of windshield cleared up and the passenger side did not. No passenger heat from dash or floor either and the rear unit doesn't heat/cool as it should and the air does not blow from the proper outlets. I've seen on several sites that I visited that maybe it only needs a reset of some kind but haven't found and instructions for a 20 Explorer with standard climate controls. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Although a bit unusual for such a newer vehicle, it does sound like blend door actuator issues.

Peter

Thanks
I have a 2020 Explorer Limited that has been doing the same thing since March of 2021. It has been to the dealership numerous times to "fix" the problem but that hasn't happened yet. They have replaced the blend door and blend motor assembly as well as the thermostat. None of which has fixed the problem.

I have a 2020 Explorer Limited that has been doing the same thing since March of 2021. It has been to the dealership numerous times to "fix" the problem but that hasn't happened yet. They have replaced the blend door and blend motor assembly as well as the thermostat. None of which has fixed the problem.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you have heat on one side and cold on the other, it certainly sounds like a blend door issue. There is more than one.
Cold in Georgia eh? It was almost -15 F this morning and tomorrow it is supposed to be 32 F. ;)

Peter

Our 2020 is at the dealer now with the same issue. Blend door ruled out as confirmed working good. Dealer says bad heater core and have seen a couple of others with the same issue. Before I ante up - can anyone confirm or have another fix?

Our 2020 is at the dealer now with the same issue. Blend door ruled out as confirmed working good. Dealer says bad heater core and have seen a couple of others with the same issue. Before I ante up - can anyone confirm or have another fix?
Is the vehicle no longer under warranty?

Peter

Well I had the same problem on my explorer. Early 20 build. Replaced the blower motor, then the heater core as it was plugged and when the tech had the dash all tore apart noticed my plenum was cracked. No way did someone do this other than it was put in this way when assembled. See pics.

Plenum1.jpg Penum2.jpg Plenum3.jpg

Well I had the same problem on my explorer. Early 20 build. Replaced the blower motor, then the heater core as it was plugged and when the tech had the dash all tore apart noticed my plenum was cracked. No way did someone due this other than it was put in this way when assembled. See pics.

Peter

Back