Do I need a Class II? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a Class II?

I have a 2010 ST and this summer we are towing the pop up down to Georgia. My ST came from the factory with a class 1 set up. Will I be ok towing a pop up with a class 1? It's only a little pop up maybe around 1000lbs I'll check later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should be ok if its only 1k. just remember one you put food and what not in that weight goes up fast. but if its 1k 1500 should be fine

Beat me to it. A class one should be ok, but if you would just feel better with a class II, then by all means install one. Really no such thing as too heavy a hitch.

My 2002 Sport Trac has a class III on it. It may be overkill but that is what's on it.

Really no such thing as too heavy a hitch.
wise words here. hes not wrong the heavier the better this one has a C4 on it, but usually only tows 3-4k regularly. i think the hitch is red for 10k while the explorer is rated for like 5500 or smth like that

I thought It had the weight posted on it.

CqL_w9TADRV8l0n9CJw_oOvw=w823-h617-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

most pop ups im aware of come in dry from 1500-2k so you may need that class 3

Should be on a placard the door.

Just grab a Class IV and do it right the first time, it can't be more than about $250 even for the high dollar ones. Then you can also use it as a recovery point, and can mount other accessories if needed. Trust me, you'll never regret going with a 2" hitch receiver.

@topher5150 I'm not sure what all years of Sport Trac hitches will fit, but around here at the junkyards a class III (3) can be purchased for about $50-. Not a bad price, but if you are in a state that uses excessive salt on the road that may not be a good idea. I'm in a state that very rarely uses road salt.

Just grab a Class IV and do it right the first time, it can't be more than about $250 even for the high dollar ones. Then you can also use it as a recovery point, and can mount other accessories if needed. Trust me, you'll never regret going with a 2" hitch receiver.
I thought the newer Sport Tracks had their hitches welded to the frame. I did find an OEM Ford 2" that I could have the old one cut out and welded in.

I also found the sticker on the side, it looked pretty faded, but I think it says the weight is 1,400 lbs.

I thought the newer Sport Tracks had their hitches welded to the frame. I did find an OEM Ford 2" that I could have the old one cut out and welded in.
could be welded could be bolted on these. on the 2nd gens i find the bolt spots to be pretty mid, so this one is welded. but dunno about the newer ones

If you don’t load anything on the camper itself, you should be fine. Your tow rating is 2,000, correct?

could be welded could be bolted on these. on the 2nd gens i find the bolt spots to be pretty mid, so this one is welded. but dunno about the newer ones
I don’t believe the is true with these Sport Tracs. If you look at the big hitch companies all they list are front hitches.

I don’t believe the is true with these Sport Tracs. If you look at the big hitch companies all they list are front hitches.
interesting neevrmind
If you don’t load anything on the camper itself, you should be fine. Your tow rating is 2,000, correct?
the truck itself can pull more but hitch is c1 so limited to 2k yes

Class one is 2,000. Class 2 is 3500.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also found the sticker on the side, it looked pretty faded, but I think it says the weight is 1,400 lbs.
Are you sure your hitch isn’t class 2? I can’t find any info on a 2010 Sport Trac and a class 1.

Back