Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
@colestelter

You have started FIVE "lowering" threads in one week. Please don't start any more on the same subject.

To prevent confusion I have merged your five threads into two. Combined threads are sorted by date and time posted.
Apologies for posts seemingly out of order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I mean by confusion. Gen 2 trucks all slightly vary for drop distance, but OP's close or near maximum before travel is gone.
As mentioned in his "torsion keys" thread either a coil spring conversion or air bags would be needed to get the FIVE inch drop he wants.

From Monday:

That's what I mean by confusion. Gen 2 trucks all slightly vary for drop distance, but OP's close or near maximum before travel is gone.
As mentioned in his "torsion keys" thread either a coil spring conversion or air bags would be needed to get the FIVE inch drop he wants.

From Monday:
i’ve been told i can get around 5 inches of drop static before i’d have to switch to bags or coil conversion

@colestelter

You have started FIVE "lowering" threads in one week. Please don't start any more on the same subject.

To prevent confusion I will be merging a few of them. Thanks.
cause none of them tell me anything i wanna hear 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ there’s no information on these actual low explorers not just 2-3 inch dropped one. my b bro

What you "want to hear" for a five inch static drop can't be done without serious modifications.

Understand your frustration, but have you read through ALL 49 pages of suspension tech?

i dont think you can get 5" drop since these only have like 6" or 7" of travel factory probably, and im not sure you like riding on the bump stops hahaha you can lift 2" and lower 2" is my understanding

$$$ + time = airbag slamming.

cause none of them tell me anything i wanna hear 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ there’s no information on these actual low explorers not just 2-3 inch dropped one. my b bro

You should reread the threads that swshawaii, myself, and Fix4Dirt have posted in. We have the most knowledge and skill with lowering the 2nd gen Explorers, more than the air bag places or other forums such as Rangers or Sport Trac sites.

There is very limited range of motion to lower or raise these, before you get to the limits of the suspension travel. Whoever told you they can go down 5" before "needing" air bags, they are wrong and/or lying to you. You will have to do something besides the height adjustment, way before dropping it 5", at about 3-4" the bump stops will be virtually riding on the LCA's. If you get your truck lower, it will be right at the limit and bottoming out constantly, or else the suspension will be severely modified to alter the CA's and the frame, both front and back.

If you read what is here on the EF, you will learn how to get the truck lowered with minor changes to ride fairly decent, and that in the 3" dropped range. As said each truck is different, some will more easily go an inch lower than an apparently identical truck and have the same ride quality.

If you actually do want it much lower than that, you must find out how to cut the frame literally, to make more room for the CA's to come up towards the frame. It hasn't been shown on this forum, so if it's been done, there is more to do that you will have to hunt. I'd bet the CA's will have to be modified in some way, UCA and LCA, torsion bars replaced with coil over shocks, and if possible find a different spindle that has the BJ mounts moved upwards. That is why you haven't found anything related to what I just posted, it's not here and it may not have been done yet. Riding without any suspension travel at all is not what I would judge as driveable, so I don't buy just seeing a picture(how does it ride must be asked).

Excellent Don, thank you. No one can explain things better than you.
Now, if we can get the OP to read before asking repetitive questions. Thanks!

guys, i spent all of 30 seconds looking over this. we have a either a troll on our hands, or someone that doesnt want to read through a thread. would rather people answer his questions so he doesnt have to research.
prove me wrong.

Yes, I'd bet he's very young and social media is huge in his world, everything is fast and you gotta get the answer instantly, and keep moving.

Yes, I'd bet he's very young and social media is huge in his world, everything is fast and you gotta get the answer instantly, and keep moving.
on his prof it says hes 17. and hey hey hey im young too :p :p :p :nono:

on his prof it says hes 17. and hey hey hey im young too :p :p :p :nono:

I think you've proven yourself with being thoughtful about many things, here on this forum. Everyone is affected massively by their experiences etc, some people don't learn the right lessons, while some do; some learn the wrong things, and others don't allow the same experiences to affect them that same bad way. You have become a nice reasonable young person from what I have read in your posts. The person who began this thread and the several other lowering threads, it looks like he is far less thoughtful or reasonable. I'm sorry for being wordy and going off topic, it's just a little generalization given the last comments.

I think you've proven yourself with being thoughtful about many things, here on this forum. Everyone is affected massively by their experiences etc, some people don't learn the right lessons, while some do; some learn the wrong things, and others don't allow the same experiences to affect them that same bad way. You have become a nice reasonable young person from what I have read in your posts. The person who began this thread and the several other lowering threads, it looks like he is far less thoughtful or reasonable. I'm sorry for being wordy and going off topic, it's just a little generalization given the last comments.
no worries, i was just joking around about the me being young too part. wont lie social media is omnipresent in so many peoples lives these days. sad really, less people outside whether its wrenching detailing or gardening (my favorite things to do) or really anything outdoors. were only here so long, so wy not make the best of what mother nature are for us?

how am i being unthoughtful bro i’m just looking for different answers because every thread i read is the fact same thing this is the first ever forum i’ve been in i didn’t know i was creating a bunch of different ones, since i’ve learned that i haven’t made new ones i’ve gone off what i’ve had, my bad people make mistakes bro. glad to know this forums ran by a bunch of dicks who attack a kid trying to modify his car looking for answers. very welcoming

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how am i being unthoughtful bro i’m just looking for different answers because every thread i read is the fact same thing this is the first ever forum i’ve been in i didn’t know i was creating a bunch of different ones, since i’ve learned that i haven’t made new ones i’ve gone off what i’ve had, my bad people make mistakes bro. glad to know this forums ran by a bunch of dicks who attack a kid trying to modify his car looking for answers. very welcoming

Seems to me you were given a ton of information. What you do with it is up to you.

Back