99 EB, rap module, and key fob frequency | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 EB, rap module, and key fob frequency

yeahokay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB 5.0
I’ve been trying to get a key fob to program with this explorer and I think I have read there are two types of key fobs. I bought a single generic one at the auto parts store that will not program. I’m wondering if anyone knows a, preferably cheap, after market one for each type? I believe the difference is internal antenna vs external I have no idea which one I have but if I can buy 2 cheap to get the correct one I’m ok with that.

Also on the off chance anyone knows. The rap seems to work perfectly except for the key fob. is it possible for whatever listens for the radio signal is broken and I need a new rap? Is there anyway to test the radio on the rap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you previously have one (or more?) keyfobs that worked and have since, stopped working?

If so, did you check the battery, and check the mechanical switches inside for broken solder joints or corrosion? The antenna is internal, a trace on the circuit board. I'm not sure what you're referring to as an alternate type with an external antenna. Can you link to any of these or what you bought?

Depending on my first question above, I doubt that the rap broke, but you could open it up and check for visual indicatons of a fault like charred components, burst capacitors, connector corrosion or wire damage though you stated it works otherwise.

Multiple Ford vehicles of the era used the same 315MHz keyfobs, these should work, once programmed in:

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK, all keyfobs that look like the above linked fobs, which look like the originals, should work, unless it's just some dodgy generic junk that is defective.

There is no test for the rap that I'm aware of, besides having it work, or swapping in a different one and having the replacement work. I don't think a rap failure can generate a diagnostic trouble code. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to be set up to do that.

No I did not have a key fob to know it is working or not. Best I have is the generic one I bought that I tested at the auto parts store with the energizer tester. What I can say the rap enters programming mode just the fob does nothing when I press the button. I guess I’ll see about getting a new rap and trying that.

I would assume it's more likely the fob isn't compatible. Does the auto parts store have an online page for it so we can see it?

If the fob was old stock, it might also have a nearly drained battery that gives it enough range to work right next to an extra sensitive tester at the store, but not all the way back to the rap in the left rear quarter panel. I know that seems like a narrow window of operational opportunity, but the signal strength is going to be directly related to the battery voltage. I'd at least check the battery voltage as a sanity check, assuming it uses same CR2032 cell as most, may need to be closer to 3V than 2V.

I would assume it's more likely the fob isn't compatible. Does the auto parts store have an online page for it so we can see it?

If the fob was old stock, it might also have a nearly drained battery that gives it enough range to work right next to an extra sensitive tester at the store, but not all the way back to the rap in the left rear quarter panel. I know that seems like a narrow window of operational opportunity, but the signal strength is going to be directly related to the battery voltage. I'd at least check the battery voltage as a sanity check, assuming it uses same CR2032 cell as most, may need to be closer to 3V than 2V.
It’s a dorman let me see if I can find the packaging. I tested the battery to be sure and it puts out a little over 3v

Edit: You posted seconds before I did. Yes, according to their website, this is the one they have that should be compatible, # 13798:

$46? Wow, yeah I'd return it anyway and get a one or two pack for ~$10 on ebay or amazon.

I can give you the Ford part # from my '98's original fob for cross-compatibility matching.
F8DB-15K601-AA

There were more, smaller characters on it below that part #, but those have long since worn away and I think the # above is all you need.
AFAIK nothing changed on fobs from '98 to '99.

I wanted to update this finally found a replacement rap and the key fob now work! It is plug and play new code on door worked and was able to program the fob after it was replaced.

Back