How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Kinda like day time running lights???

Originally posted by steelheader
I would like the info as well!!!
You are talking about having the fogs on any time the vehicle is running, wether the lights are on or not, right???
Right now they are on when the parking lights are on and the low beams are on and go off when you hit the highs.
Thanks...

If you want your fog lamps to stay on when the parking lights, low beams, or high beams come on, do this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60518&highlight=fog+lamp

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Whatever you do when doing this mod, don't cut the brown wire like I did. This will prevent your passenger side parking lights from coming on.

Finally did this mod today. Taxxman, you the man!

how about on the 99?

my does anyone know where the relay for the 99 X is? The box under the hood is on the driver side. I would like to know where the fog relay is and is there a simpler way then cutting and connecting? On my friends' focus all we did is remove the relay and use a 2 inch wire to connect two slots together and he can now switch his fog lights even when the headlights are off hi beam or low beam but only when the parking light is on. I would like to switch mine on anytime but in a simpler way, if possible as simple as the focus.

Re: how about on the 99?

Originally posted by PhaseOne21
my does anyone know where the relay for the 99 X is? The box under the hood is on the driver side. I would like to know where the fog relay is and is there a simpler way then cutting and connecting? On my friends' focus all we did is remove the relay and use a 2 inch wire to connect two slots together and he can now switch his fog lights even when the headlights are off hi beam or low beam but only when the parking light is on. I would like to switch mine on anytime but in a simpler way, if possible as simple as the focus.

Been done already. Check this out:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60518&highlight=fog+relay+edlmann

No it hasn't been done! WHat you sent me I have rezd already and all it is is that the fogs stay on when you turn on the high beams. What I want to do if you read the whole post is that to turn on the fogs ANYTIME JUST MY USING THE FOG SWITCH. Stock only works as soon as you turn on the parking lamp and turn it on and it automatically turns off when you high beam. I'd like it to TURN ON ANYTIME without turning on atleast the parking lamps.

You would have to cut the wire from the relay and connect it to a switched power source. I connected the the wire going into the w/s wipers.
Fog lights can be turned on anytine the veh. is on and they stay on all the time.
You just gotta get out there and DO IT.

Ok! I guess I wasn't clear enough. See on my X there is already a fog switch and it comes stock on the radio bezel. What I want is to be able to turn my fogs anytime. On the focus that I did we can turn it anytime when you turn on atleast the parking lamp. I would like if possible to just do something about the relay or cut a piece of wire and connect such snd such slots from the relay slot. I want to be able to use my stock switch and be able to turn on the fogs anytime. Anyone that can help I would realy appreciate it.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
You would have to cut the wire from the relay and connect it to a switched power source.

did you try this yet? If not just run a new wire from the battery. That should do it.

Run a wire to the battery, then you can turn your fogs on whenever you want. Put an in-line fuse so you won't short out the system.

Originally posted by PhaseOne21
Ok! I guess I wasn't clear enough. See on my X there is already a fog switch and it comes stock on the radio bezel. What I want is to be able to turn my fogs anytime. On the focus that I did we can turn it anytime when you turn on atleast the parking lamp. I would like if possible to just do something about the relay or cut a piece of wire and connect such snd such slots from the relay slot. I want to be able to use my stock switch and be able to turn on the fogs anytime. Anyone that can help I would realy appreciate it.

check here this is what you are trying to do:

http://www.haughs.net/money-pit/x-mods.htm#relay

You can connect the wire from the relay to many sources.
1. Brown wire from parking lights.=Fogs on w/pkng ligts.
2. W/S wiper motor wire.= Fogs on w/key.
3. Battery.=Fogs on all the time.

Ack. Never mind. I re-read the thread more carefully, and found the link above for the '97. I'll try that first. Thanks for the great info here guys. There's so much it's hard to know where to begin. LOL!

From before my edit:
taxxman2k,

Could you post a photo of where this relay is? I'd like to make this mod this weekend, but my Shop Manual CD won't be here by then.

Thanks!

don't have any pics.

The relay is under the airbox. and you can see the wires coming out of that box. The parking lamp wire will come off the back of the lense housing you just have to peel back some of the tape covering the wires.

ok, now...

ok now did anyone find out what to do with a 95? not limited. i want the fogs to be on whenever i want, did anyone have succes with the 95 yet?

nevermind

i figured out how 2 do it finally...been up for last 5 hours trying 2 do it..its 4:00 in the morning and im going 2 bed
i just ran a wire off the relay wire from the power box to my stereo ignition wire, now i got fogs whenever i want...to all you 95 users use the wire going to the # 1 prong, whatever the color may be if u really want to know the color, reply b/c im not going back out 2 my garage to check b/c i forgot

Just wanted to thank whoever it was that came up with this MOD. I did it as well as added a second set of lights to the same switch. Works great. With the way Ford designed the circuit(switch on ground) it prevents overloading the switch.

Originally posted by BIG COUNTRY
TO ALL WHO ARE CONFUSED: 2nd generation explorers 96-98 I believe since the 95 and 99 models are different.

This is a very simple MOD to do... any one can do it and I will show you thru a step by step process....

Okay...there are 2 ways on doing this MOD:
MOD #1: fog lights with parking lights
MOD #2: fog lights at any time with your factory fog light switch

. . .

You see, this MOD isnt hard at all! I went thru this step by step, you should not have any problems with this, if so, post reply....good luck

’97 Fog Light Mod #3

I did the Fog Light Mod on my ’97 today, but I didn’t use Mod #1 or #2. As we all know, the stock arrangement provides a “hot” fog lamp relay only when the dash light switch is set to “headlamps” AND the column multifunction switch is set to “low beam.” The object of this mod is to provide a “hot” fog lamp relay under other settings. Mod #1 taps into the parking lamp circuit and will work whenever the parking lamp circuit is “hot.” Mod # 2 taps into the radio circuit and will work whenever the ignition switch is set to “Acc” or “Run”. But Mod #2requires running a wire between the fog lamp relay and the radio.

There is a closer solution. The box holding the fog lamp relay also holds the windshield washer pump relay. The windshield washer pump relay is “hot” when the ignition key is in the “Acc” or “Run” and the circuit is fused at 10 amps. It is fed by the White with Black ribbon wire. I used the following components:

- (1) quick splice
- (2) male bullet connectors
- (2) female bullet connectors
- 4” of 16 ga. wire

I took the air cleaner and housing out. I took the relay box off and removed the top and bottom covers to aid in tracing the correct wires. On my ’97, the only two wires of concern are:

- Dark Blue with Light Green ribbon (this feeds the fog lamp relay)
- White with Black ribbon (this feeds the windshield washer pump relay.

I simply tapped into the “White/Black” feed to the windshield washer pump relay with a 4” length of wire using a ‘Quick Splice”. I crimped a male bullet connector onto the free end of the spliced wire. I cut the Dark Blue/Light Green feed. On the end going INTO the relay, I installed a female bullet connector and plugged the spliced wire in. Viola! The fogs work whenever the ignition switch is set to “Acc” or “Run.” I finally crimped a male bullet connector onto the end of the Dark Blue/Light Green wire coming out of the wiring harness and joined it to a female connector to provide insulation. (If for some reason I need to return to stock condition, I can unplug the spliced wire and re-plug the Dark Blue/Light Green wire.)

Here is a pic of what I of the mod.

Attachments

• explorer fogs 030-1.jpg
    explorer fogs 030-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,834

cOnFuSeD!!

Taxxman--I have a small problem. I did everything that you said to do, but my headlights still come on. I cut the Dark Blue wire as you said, and now that headlight doesnt work. Any info you can give will be great!!

Back