Tow Rig Forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

Ill start the show with my pic-
I found a great article on www.etrailer.com here. Trailer Brake Controllers An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from a vehicle to a trailer's electric brakes. There are two types of electric brake controllers - Time Delay Activated ("solid state") and Proportional ("pendulum style"). Although the controllers' methods are different, both types of controllers are very similar. Both allow the user to adjust output or braking power. Both have a pressure sensitive manual override trigger that can be used to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes. Both have the same wiring configuration. Time Delay Activated Solid state controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and apply...
I saw this post in the Expedition Forum and thought it would be helpful here as well. Many people have no idea how to determine what their vehicle can tow. Using your owners manual or manufacturers towing guide is the best way to get an idea. You may even find the info you need on a sticker in the glovebox, on the inside edge of your door, or under the hood. There are many factors which determine your vehicles towing ability like wheelbase, engine size, rear axle ratio, etc. There are also alot of terms out there that can be very confusing. So I have put together this list to help you understand their meanings. GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight - the actual weight of a vehicle. GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: The maximum allowed GVW for...
I've been looking through the tow rig forum and I realized that though many many threads mention Weight distribution hitches and even recommend them, not one of them goes into what they are, or how they work. Though I do not claim to be an expert on the subject I am aware of the concept of what makes them work. I'm also aware that anyone can look it up on Google (as i did). But this is the tow rig forum, there should be a place to go for simple questions like this. As I'm retired, and have the time, I decided to do the work for you busy busy working people and post it right here, easy to find and read. So enough explanations... on to the answers 1) What is a Weight Distributing Hitch? In simple terms, a WDH is just what the name...
Summary; 02-05 Explorer Trailer Wiring Explorer Towing Capacities Trailer Brake Controllers Explained Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches Make sure you cross those safety chains How To: Installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge Transmission Temperature Gauge Leaf Spring Upgrade Axle Codes Decoded No cut flush mount 6pin trailer plug
Am I missing something? This is a pic of the passenger side rear near the tire where the trailer wiring is supposed to be. Trying to add a tow hitch and wiring. Everything in etrailer shows that I should have a full connector here with two sides. I would then separate the sides and insert a T connector for the 4 way harness. There's nothing to disconnect, just a bare plug. Vehicles is a: 2018, Ford Explorer, Base No factory towing package that i know of
I've searched and searched under the dash and I can't find the connector where to plug my brake controller into. I have the factory installed Class III towing package. Any help in locating would be appreciated.
I have a 2010 ST and this summer we are towing the pop up down to Georgia. My ST came from the factory with a class 1 set up. Will I be ok towing a pop up with a class 1? It's only a little pop up maybe around 1000lbs I'll check later
My 2000 XLT has two wiring harness sockets--one behind the bumper on the driver's side, a four wire towing light plug, and one behind the bumper on the passenger's side which appears to have six pins inside. I cannot find any after-market wiring harness for the passenger side plug. I have to think it's for a 7-way RV connection? Any help would be appreciated.
Have a 2009 with the 2" hitch. Having a really hard time finding a lock to fit the receiver. The 7 pin connector is in the way. Can't go without the lock either, run a $300 b&w hitch. Anyone have any luck with a particular lock that fits?
Hey Everyone, I Have an 2008 XLT, 4.6 Liter, AWD with 3.55s. I was told that this thing would pull my Enclosed 6x10 with complete ease, and with it completely loaded it weighs around 2200. When I am in town I can barely tell that its even hooked up, but as soon as I hit the Highway its like I am pulling a semi trailer. I just do not get it, everything on it is new, no codes except the P1000 and it just acts like its weak as hell. Changed the in like fuel filter a few weeks ago only to find that it was filthy as all hell, never seen one this dirty, and now that it is clean again the truck runs completely different. I was excited to see if it pulled the trailer better once I changed that but it does not, its just a dog. The transmission...
I have a 2020 xlt without factory tow. I was told by the salesman, no problem we will can add that. Well it was a problem because it's built into the bumper. Then recently it got rear ended, not a lot of damage but bumper had to be replaced. So, I asked the Ford dealer body shop guy how much extra it would cost to add the bumper with the towing connections and the hitch. He said they could do it for just the cost of the hitch with no additional labor charge. All seemed good but I tried it out a couple of days ago and the lights don't work. I am going to go talk to them on tuesday but the problem seems to be that there are no fuses for anything having to do with trailer lights and when I tried adding them, the spots are there for the...
New to the Explorer... I recently purchased a 2022 Platinum... and I need to tow my boat. The boat is a 21' Carrera Elite, essentially a day cruiser on a tandem axle trailer with disc brakes... overall length is approximately 26', with boat and trailer weighing in at about 5,000 lbs dry. The tongue weight is roughly 150 lbs. Ford rated the Platinum to tow 5,300 lbs., but because a boat trailer doesn't do the weight distribution hitch thing due to surge brake system. I guess my question is... is there, or should I look into a supplemental, airbag system, to pick up some of the weight? Another question while on the subject... being I live in Arizona, where summer temperatures regularly exceed 110 degrees, would the installation of...
I have had a few thoughts on towing my camper with the Explorer since installing the new RLC rear bumper. I don't doubt that it is a well built bumper, but wonder about the mechanics of it. I want to use this extension to help clear the spare tire and lower the ball just a little more. but that makes the hitch a longer "lever" putting more downforce on the receiver. I'll also be using a WD hitch, will that help negate the effects of the longer lever?
Alright guys, I was asked if my 2001 Explorer sport 4x4 could tow a 2000 Honda accord (~3200lb) 6hrs/ 430 miles threw Missouri to Kansas on a car dolly(~750lbs). I know the vehicles max stopping capacity is 4800~5000lb (Trailer weight). Take into account my truck has 269k miles on the clock, but it has a new transmission 5000 miles ago and a fresh timing job under 2000 miles ago. No real mechanical issues, the only thing bad is the body bushings. I have a class IV 2inch hitch that's rated 5000lbs no WD and 6000 WD. Is it a good idea to tow this with my explorer? I've never towed with my explorer before or ever used a dolly, I do have plenty of experience towing 10-11k with an f350 and 16ft trailer. How do dollies handle compared to a...
I just got a tow hitch from an old explorer and refurbished it. It is a class III hitch and can tow up to 5,000 lbs. I don't know where to fine the wiring harness to connect a trailer. Any suggestions?
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with class 3 tow package Tow rating is 5,000lbs GVWR is 6,180lbs Payload is 1,314lbs Calculated curb weight is 4,866lbs Calculated GCVWR is 11,180lbs The trailer Im looking to tow is 3,750lbs dry and 4,831lbs full Both the vehicle and trailer dry empty is 8,616 which is 2,564lbs below the GCVWR GVWR with an empty trailer is 9,930lbs which is 1,250 below the GCVWR Curb and GTW is 9,697lbs which is 1,483 below the GCVWR GVWR and GTW is 11,010 which is 170lbs below the GCVWR (i would not do this) Curb weight plus cargo estimating at 700lbs (5,766lbs) and empty trailer plus cargo estimating at 800lbs (4,350lbs) is 1,064lbs below GCVWR. Am I wrong in thinking I safely tow this trailer? (necessary hitch, sway...
I need to tow an explorer 1100 miles from San Diego to Wyoming behind a Silverado. Looking for options here. I'm not too keen on giving money to uhaul for a flatbed. I'd rather find an option that allowed me to sell equipment at the destination. So I know you can drop out the driveshafts. But can you use a tow dolly to lift the front wheels and use speed dollies for the back? Or use a tow dolly for the front and drop the driveshaft for the back?
I have a Bronco II, lifted 6 inches with an 8.8" axle installed on it. When building the axle, I had to remove the stock sway bar mounting points to make space for the new spring perches for the B2. I haven't found replacement perches yet, so the B2 doesn't have a rear sway bar on it, which gives the vehicle plenty of roll. For driving the vehicle, it's easy enough to just take my time, it's not a sports car. But, I have to transport this car across the country soon, and I would like to make sure that it doesn't get hit with a cross wind that throws off the total control of the trailer it will be on. The plan is to strap down the axles to the car trailer, and keep the suspension flexible. The vehicle will be loaded up with stuff...
I have a 2014 XLT Explorer. I want to pull a travel trailer. I don't want to pull anything too heavy, but would like to find something between 2500 to 3500 lbs. dry weight. It has a 3.5L engine.
Back