Tow Rig Forum | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

I recently purchased a 2014 Explorer Limited from a Ford dealer, and I was told that it had the factory tow package and 5000# tow capacity. It does have a factory hitch and light connection behind a removable panel on the rear bumper and a "Trailer Sway" setting on the dash display, but there is no "Tow-Haul" feature as noted in the owner's manual. I've checked around and can't find much info about this - I'm concerned that I might not have the true "tow package" or the capacity I thought I would for towing my boat. Can anyone offer some thoughts on this? I love the car, but I need to figure this out Thanks for any help you can offer!
I'd like to post some actual towing experience rather than say what the towing guide states. I'm towing a 19' hybrid RV with a 2017 3.5 non turbo AWD with factory trailer pkg. I am about 400 lbs below max weights loaded. This rig handles great. Power at take off is wonderful BUT at Highway speed the 6 speed is constantly shifting. At 60ish on the flat it may hold at 2500 rpm (too low imo). At every overpass it downshifts to 3500 rpm. If there is ANY headwind it stays in the 3500 rpm gear. I get 24 mpg Highway without the trailer and 9 with the trailer. I think if it were geared to run at 3000rpm at 60 mph it may not shift as much. My trailer has a relatively flat front and is 8' wide and I suspect the 3.5 struggles more with the...
My 2020 dot Explorer pull a 4000 lb trailer. We have gone over mountains an pull for three months. Running from winter. This car is a four cylinder and I still can’t get over the power. Transmission is nice. Ford has a very good car for pulling a trailer. I can’t say enough about how wonderful this car is. Thank you Ford.
I use my 2003 Explorer XLT 2wd to tow my 20 ft. enclosed racecar trailer. The Explorer tows beatifully but I can not find any good towing mirrors. I have used the strap on CIBA mirrors but they wear out/fall off too frequently. Does anybody make after market or custom mirrors for the Explorer? Has anyone done a custom conversion? Bud Byrnes albyrnes@rh-investment.com
So I know it's illegal and I'm not saying im doing it, but in a theoretical sense, would a gas engine towing performance increase with an EGR turned off? Or would I cause problems with heating things up too much? Again just in theory. I couldnt find a single resource with any info on gas engines, towing and Egr Turned off and now I'm just curious.
Hello All, I have a 2010 V6 Ford Explorer. My wife and I are looking at campers and I want to make sure we don’t get something too big or that we aren’t prepared for what we find. So please help. I have ordered this Class III to put onto my explorer. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Curt/13112.html With this being a Class III it says the tow capacity is 5000, but also says that with a Weight Distribution System, the capacity can be 8000. But the sticker inside my driver’s side door says the GVWR is 6190 lbs. So my questions: 1) Since my vehicle’s GVWR is 6190, the 8000 option is out correct? Even with a WDS? 2) Do I need to add on anything else to tow a 4000-5000 lb camper? Or is the class III enough? Thank you for your help!
FYI to get a Ford dealership to program your Explorer for neutral, you have to give them the instructions. They don’t know how to do it without these instructions which is crazy to me. I have my Explorer 97- to 2001 Neutral tow kit on eBay, I bought it just for the stupid instructions to give to the dealership to program my neutral tow. They did it without any problems. The kit is the original OEM tow kit from 1997. Has all instructions, warning labels to place on vehicle and tow switch to mount on dash. The only thing I usedo was the instruction to give to dealership, which is included in kit. Dealership charged me $50 to program which I was happy to pay. I used to disconnect my rear drive shaft when towing on dolly, big hassle...
Just sold my Tacoma and am looking for a new vehicle that will need to tow my Razor. I'm looking at 2019 sports with the 3.5 ecoboost. I know the tow rating is 5,000 but what am I looking at real world? The RZR and my trailer will be around 2200#. I also take it camping, which between me, my girlfriend, and my gear will add some weight. I live in Utah and there's a lot of steep grades and high elevations. How do you think the explorer will handle it? I'm coming from a Tacoma that I was unhappy with the tow performance. Thank you.
Back