Tow Rig Forum | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

How do I find towing capacity for my 1996 Explorer 4WD Eddie Bauer 4-door 4.0L V6? (VIN: 1fmdu34x4tza70403)? Anyone know how to figure that? The original Owner Guide (that came with vehicle) has a rear axle code chart that does NOT include the rear axle code ("42") that the vehicle has listed on it's door frame label. IF my research is correct about that axle code 42, then I have a Rear Axle Ratio of 4.10, but THAT ratio is not in the Owner Guide's list of Rear Axle Ratios in the Trailer Towing Table. So, my Explorer's Owner Guide does not have complete info about my Explorer that it came with. How could that have happened?! What to do, to find the towing capacity? Anybody know? Thanks!
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited V6 with the following aftermarket hitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2015/C13386.html?VehicleID=201565715). My SUV has about 110K miles on it and I definitely don't want to shorten the lifespan - but we are looking for a camper (travel trailer style) and the one we are looking at has the following specs (image attached). It is creeping very close to max towing capacity - but have read that the 2015 with V6 can easily tow 5000# - but that could have been marketing saying those things :) I would rather hear from you fine folks who know what you are talking about :)
Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital. There are several options, many brands and styles. Round Tube? Square? Rectangular? Full Size Spare or Not? I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating. The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site. I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.
Hey all- I've been searching the forums and doing my research, and I have a question about towing with an Explorer. My wife is looking to buy a 19, and we have it narrowed down between a Limited (with the V6 and factory class III tow package) and a Sport (with the Ecoboost and class III tow). We do plan on getting a small camper or pop-up at some point in the near future, and a weight distributing hitch. We are aware of: 1. The limitations of the platform for towing- if we wanted to go heavy or often, we would be better served with a F150 or Expedition. Towing will be more of an occasional thing, so the Explorer should be fine. 2. The specific limitations of the Explorer with regard to weight and frontal area. We have no problem...
:rolleyes: This is a bit long - trying to give as much pertinent info. as possible. Vehicle = 2008 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer Edition, V6, 4WD, with 1-1/4" Class II receiver factory installed (it's welded in.) The vehicle is "stock" - it has not been raised or otherwise modified in any way. except for a repair I did on a visor! Trailer = 2007 Fleetwood Yuma pop-up camper. No mods. FULLY loaded weight (GVWR) = 2400 lbs. Tongue weight = 248 lbs. (this was actually with the popup loaded to ~ 2200 lbs. -- "distribution" of weight still plenty flexible, tho' I don't really think we'd ever need to max out at 2400 lbs. My Dad's Chevy S-10 pulled it with no problems at all, but the S-10 has been sold. The top surface of the...
Hello everyone, New soon-to-be owner here looking for some advice. I'll be taking this unwanted Explorer off of a family member for some occasional towing usage. What I (Will) Have: 2004 Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4x4 NO tow package 3.73 open diff (axle code 46) 100k miles Located the trailer brake controller plug behind the glovebox (Thanks to this forum!) What I'm Towing ~18ft ~5000lb double-axle trailer Once every 1-2 months What I'm Planning Junkyard swap or after-market 2" receiver Aftermarket trans cooler Wiring extension for 7-pin RV plug conversion Load distributing hitch (type undetermined) Trailer brake controller I have enough resources (time, skill, money) to basically upgrade myself to the tow package, minus the LSD...
So i have a 2016 base model explorer V6 4wd... i put a hitch on to tow a small trailer and a mobility scooter... install went fine til i got to the harness.. i got the t-one connector assembly ..part #118540 .. so there was supposed to be a plug to undo and then connect the harness to the 2 connectors... well on my explorer there was nothing plugged into the vehicles connector so i plugged the wiring harness in and taped off the open plug since there was nothing to plug into it.. checked the harness and it only works woth the left turn signal.. dont work with brakes or running lights turned on... i dunno what to do here... please help ..
Purchased a 2016 explorer AWD V6 back in November and now we are small camper shopping. Ideally I would like a Jayco 154 or 174 bunk house. The 154 is about 2600 dry, 3400 wet, with the 174 about 400lbs more on both. I have the class 3 towing and a weight distribution hitch already, but I need to get a brake controller installed still.... I know I would be within the ratings of the explorer, but how difficult is this going to be to tow still? Anyone tow anything similar with the standard V6? I really don’t want a pop-up camper but may look at shorter options if absolutely necessary. 90% of my towing would be in the very flat Indiana/Michigan area if that helps, but I wouldn’t mind taking a trip to Tennessee or somewhere similar...
Hi Everyone, This is my first post here and has been my last resort for getting help. I have a 2016 Explorer XLT that I bought new. It's out of warranty now (110,000 KMs). I bought it without the tow package because, at the time, I didn't need one. Fast forward to today, I'm regretting that decision. I recently purchased an Ultralite camper trailer which has an dry weight of 3500lbs. I've been assured by my local dealer that my explorer will suffice for towing this. I went ahead and installed a class three hitch and a 7 pin wiring harness for a break controller. I will also be putting in an oil cooler prior to my trip at the end of the month. I was towing my trailer home from the dealer the other day and noticed on the highway...
Hello, I got a 2016 Explorer XLT with no tow package (didn't think about it when I got it). Now I want to install an aftermarket system. I read a few pages online and here, and it seems like these are the kits/parts I would need. CURT 13100 Class 3 Receiver Hitch - $113 CURT 56172 Multi-Color T-Connector And I would have the option to get a fascia as well to hide it, but this isn't a big concern for me: GB5Z-17K835-BA Could someone please give some suggestions/advice, and tell me if I'm missing anything? PS: I know this doesn't include the mount+ball, but those are easy to get items. I've also heard about transmission coolers, but they seem too complicated to install. I plan on towing 1 or 2 jet-skis with this...
hi everyone. recently purchased a 2001 mountaineer 5.0L awd with 98k miles...has trans cooler already but no hitch or wiring (wiring plug was found below taillight and all necessary parts are ordered aka hitch 4 pin conector and 7pin wiring and on the way) have a hand me down WD hitch my parents used before upgrading. i have several questions before i get out onto the road but first the camper is a 2015 jayco jay feather ultra lite x18d. dry its 3400 loaded 4600. we do pack light so im not worried, we never travel with water in tanks (we glamp more than camp) so questions as follows... 1. should i add another trans cooler or swap current for a larger unit? 2. should i mess with changing trans fluid or diff fluid? 3. should i add a leaf...
Hi guys and gals. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2001 mountaineer with the 5.0. I'm a huge Ford fan and like how it drives ect... initially I was looking at this vehicle as just an extra car for errands and keeping miles off the cars we have payments on... but then i saw some posts about how people are towing quite a bit with em... we love camping and the plan was to get a camper in a few summers (wife deploys after Christmas so we were waiting to pull the trigger on that for now) but if the mountaineer is a decent tow rig we can maybe get camping sooner than later... we will be getting some sort of hybrid expandable camper (at most 5500ish pounds loaded with gear ect)... question is how does it do towing with that sort of...
Back