Tow Rig Forum | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

Hello, Been a long time Ford owner, but about to venture into towing for the first time. I just bought a 2018 Explorer Sport (w/ V6 Ecoboost) and will be buying a camping trailer within the next few weeks. I understand the 500/5,000 max weights in the owner manual, and am curious if anyone on here tows near the 5,000lb max? The trailer I'm looking at is 4,200lbs dry, so factoring in supplies/gear/etc, I'll be right at that 5k max weight. I'd be using a WDH as well. I'm much more interested in safety and control (vs. fuel performance). There are some smaller trailers I'm looking at, but really like the one at 4,200lbs dry, so hoping the Explorer can handle. I'm in Washington, so will be going over mountain passes. Would...
Hi All! New to the forum here, so thank you for answering my question. I apologize if this has already been asked. I attempted to look through the forums already to find a similar situation. I am planning on purchasing a used 2015 - 2017 Explorer this summer. Most of the Explorers I have seen do not have the factory tow package. I would like to get a popup camper as well to tow with the Explorer, so I am looking at a trailer weight of about 2,000 lbs before adding people and stuff for camping. If I add a class II or III hitch with wiring and install an additional transmission cooler, will that be enough to tow? I see that the additional tow a packages have an oil cooler as well. I would be driving in the summer, about 300 miles in...
I have a 2010 V8 tow package (rated about 7,200 lbs). I currently tow a 26' (tounge to tip) Rockwood 2504S Travel Trailer that's about 4,600lbs dry. Figure 5,600 with accessories, cargo, passengers, etc. I have an E2 weight distributing anti-sway hitch....it's the knockoff of the Equalizer system. And my trailer has independent torsion suspension which is supposedly better than the traditional leaf spring systems. My truck/trailer combo tows beautifully. Handles the weight well and minimal problems with trucks and cross winds on the highway. We're looking to upgrade to a bigger trailer....possibly something in the 30-32 foot range about 5,500 lbs (about 6,500 with all cargo etc). I'm not too concerned about the weight...
Hi all, I’m new here so this may be a topic that has been covered but I can’t find a thread in it. I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with an aftermarket tow package that has a four way flat connector. We’re buying a travel trailer and I need to install a brake controller and switch to a 7-pin trailer connection. Seems like installing and connecting the brake controller under the dash will be a piece of cake. What I’m not sure of is what I need to do next. How do I convert the four flat to a seven pin? Do I have to run wires from the battery/brake controller to the hitch? Or does plugging the controller into the plug beneath the dash tie it into the vehicle and I need another wiring harness/adapter for the rear? Thanks all!
My 97 5.0 has pretty much been beaten to a pulp and I need to replace it until I get my Willys Panel project done. I use my explorer to tow stuff, cars and building materials. I thought about an Expedition, but frankly don't like such a big vehicle which is why I've stuck with the 5.0 explorer. I really like the looks of the 2012 explorers, there is a super cheap one that is a 180k mile police. Then there is a 2003 sport trac that I need to do an engine swap, and so its super cheap too. Which would be better for towing?
Hi all, We are looking to get a new family vehicle and the wife has fallen in love with a clean Explorer at a dealership. The issue I have currently is this is going to be replacing our 98 Dodge Ram and I have used that truck for a lot of truck duties. Hauling material to build a shed, hauling several cars with a car trailer, hauling a 3500lb popup camping as well as going hunting. I was going to simply get a trailer to pull behind the Exp to take over truck duties, but the one we are looking at has a class II hitch that is welded to the frame? So therefore it has a 3500lb limit. My questions is, looking at a factory brochure there is a 4x4 4.0 v6 that has a class III/IV options listed with a 5205lb towing capacity. Other than the...
I am interested in buying some sort of RV for my family and I, and I want to get the best bang for my buck, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'm calculating what I can tow correctly. I have a 2004 4.6L V8 4x4 with the 3.55 axle ratio, the owners manual says I have GCWR: 8000 GVWR: 5984 Maximum trailer weight: 3420 LB I looked at the tire and load sticker on my door and it says the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1230 lbs. So here is what I've calculated: Total passenger weight ~ 555 lbs cargo (clothes, cooler, chairs etc): ~ 300 lbs Total cargo = 855 lbs Remaining cargo = 1230 - 855 = 375 So I started thinking that the 375 would be the MAX my hitch weight could be. (And I would have to get a...
Greetings Explorations, Got a few questions about my 2017 XLT 4x4. I want to pull a dual axle "load runner" 6x12 box trailer. My XLT did "not" come with factory installed towing, however was pre-installed with the electric brake adapter. I have personally installed the Ford Accessories Class 1 (2" Trailer Hitch) and Prodigy 3 Brake Controller connecting it directly under the dash as well as a 7-way Plug for Electric brakes in the back. The controller instantly recognizes when the trailer is connected. Does this confirm I have the bigger radiator and trans cooler? Or just confirmed I was pre-wired for electric brake control? Advertised dry weight of the Load Runner is 1680 lbs. I know the Ford Accessories Hitch is...
Reese Towpower 44100 Class III hitch- new in box. It is new in the box. Had one missed during shipment and was sent another from Amazon. 2 months later received the missing one. Amazon told me that I can keep it since they have no way to put it back into the system. I will not pay for shipment. It is free for anyone that can pick up or setup shipment. This is the hitch mount with the bolts and holes needed to mount on the explorer frame. It will fit in any other ford with the same frame. No electrical or the actual hitch included. Took me around 5 min to install with 2 floor jacks and the proper tools but recommend installing with help if possible. Can send pictures or instructions of my installation if needed.
Hello - I have a 2017 Explorer XLT v6 FWD with an appearance package. I need to be able to tow a boat which requires about 3,000lbs in towing. Since my Explorer didn't come with a hitch, I was going to purchase the hitch below: CURT 13100 Class 3 Trailer Hitch Was wondering if it is that simple and if anyone had any feedback.
I just bought a 2015 Ex Sport with factory tow package. We had a 2012 Ex XLT without one but realized a few years later that we needed to tow a new car. The dealership is clueless and good ole internet reading just confused me more when I read there are different versions of the tow packages offered, coupled with a lack of clear information from Ford. My question is, how do I know (or is it standard) if the brake controller wiring harness is there already. I was able to read, but not confirm that the '15 Sport comes with the Class III tow package. I did see a hitch and 2 other connectors behind the facia The car weighs 1300lbs so I think I am good with weight.

Members online

Back