Tow Rig Forum | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Rig Forum

Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

Like the title says, looking for a new custom built trailer. Looking for a 18'-20' trailer with a capacity of 8-9k lbs. My goals are to be able to load my diesel F250 or my 6300lb forklift w/ a load on the trailer. I have had a 2010 model 16ft car trailer the past 6 years and it has served me well other being a little short at times. Had a friend recently ask me to sell it to him since he really needed one and I honestly use mine about once a month. He offered me what I paid for it new so I couldn't resist. Basically used a car trailer for 6 years for the cost of a winch, 4 tires and a few lights (I always manage to smash them loading stuff up) I'm looking for recommendations for places that custom build trailers on the east coast. I...
Hi guys, I recently started towing a 2006 starcraft centennial popup with my 2006 mountaineer v8 premier. I installed the class 3 hitch, added the seven pin plug, setup trailer brake controller and installed a weight distribution hitch.. I think the setup works very well. The truck has 115000 miles and trans was not serviced to my knowledge. On our last trip I started getting the rumble strip feel. Trans shop is gonna do a rebuild for me as there is metal in the fluid and I want it right and try to get another three years out of her if I can. He also said he would put a better cooler on it for good measure. My questions is trans temp monitoring. I am considering using the dash commander app. but I am going crazy to find what...
I have a 2004 Sport Trac 4.0. It has a factory transmission cooler but I was told by a transmission shop that because of age and trans being rebuilt I need another transmission cooler because original is probably full of junk and clogged. Question, do I need to remove the old one or just add a new one in line with the original?
I have a 96 EB and I know there was a trailer harness at one time. Previous owner gave away a wheelchair lift on the back of it, and the people who took it, took part/all of the harness. When I went looking today, I could find nothing of it. I did find a strange looking connector (see below) and a wiring loom with a single red wire going to the engine compartment. Any advice or what I need to start would be most helpful and appreciated
just bought an 04 Sport Trac with 143000 on the clock. I bought it to tow an Aliner pop up trailer that weighs in between 12 and 15 hundred pounds loaded. (no scales around here) It has electric brakes by the way. I love the truck and think its up to the job.It has the OD lock out and Trans cooler, only had a ball on the bumper so I'm adding a 2" class 111 receiver and electric brake controller. Tranny was rebuilt 1 year ago and has a tranny cooler. Stopped at a Trans shop and they told me because the trans was rebuilt I need to change the cooler because junk from the tranny will have clogged it, does that sound right? So far I've had to put new tires on it and rebuild some of the front end. I'm ordering a class 111 receiver for it and...
The Explorer says that it has a 5,000 pound trailer limit, and a remarkably small 200 pound tongue weight limit. What is it that limits this? I have a 7,500 pound tractor and trailer that I tow around with my Ram 2500, and I wondered if the Explorer could handle it. Why would I ask about something clearly over the limit??? Because my truck is only rated to tow something like 10,000 pounds on the hitch, but I have regularly towed 14,000 without any problems, or cracks, and I have had the tongue weight of 4,000 pounds on it, which is clearly way over the limit, especially without a weight distributing hitch, and then had another 2,000 pounds in the bed. My point being is that things are generally way under-rated. My only concern would...
Just thought I would share what I usually tow with. It's a 1971 International Harvester 1210 pickup. It has an IH 392 engine with a 5 speed trans. PTO winch in the rear and electric winch in the front, both come in handy. It also has an electric trailer brake controller. The trailer is a 2016 Snake River 18' trailer made in Idaho. photo sharing sites screen shot image hosting 30 mb screen shot on pc
This is a basic writeup. I'll include any tips and explanations I can think of so that anyone with any level of wiring experience can install these. My truck has an 8ft bed and the way I installed everything, you cannot see any lights or wires (or the switch) without having your head below the bed rails. Hiding them was a priority for me, but I still wanted the switch to be easy to get to inside or outside the bed and obviously light up everything. 1M long light strip with switch 1M long light strip without switch 1. Determine where you want to mount the lights. If you use my version with the 39" long strips I would suggest just centering 1 on each side of the bed (8ft bed). Orient the lights so that the wires coming out of...
Back