• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

marcum03

Reaction score
City, State
YORK, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER XLT 4X4
I have a 2002 4x4 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 does not work. None of the LED's (Auto, High, or Low) on the switch light up. With a volt meter, I checked to see if voltage was coming to the switch. It does & as the dimmer for the main lights are dimmed, the voltage is reduced accordingly. I accessed the switch was bad & replaced it. This was not the problem. No fuses at all are blown. A mechanic connected it to his scanner & got a code 735. This relates to 5th grear not being correct ratio. It has no 5th gear, but has an automatic transmission. He checked the grease in the crank case but levels were fine. It has only been used once or twice but the last known time it worked, all was well. Just one day when I tried to engage it, all seems totally dead. Please advise what to look for next.

Terry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to my world LOL> I have Auto and High range but no Low and it driving me nuts trying to figure it out

Are the lights on the dash Blown??

Is it definitely not going into 4WD Hi or Low?

Check to see if the shift motor is getting any power, it’s Underneath the truck on the T/case.

Nothing works at all. Totally dead. It's getting power to the switch so I replaced it but still no change. My mechanic connected a scanner & it sensed each position the switch was in (Auto, High, Low) but no reaction at all when pressed. It gave a code P0735, but this relates to incorrect 5th gear ratio. It's a automatic transmission & has no 5th gear.

Some explorers after 97 had 5speed automatics and all 2002s has 5speed automatics... just fyi

4x4 Fix

I had the exact same problem with my 02 explorer 4x4. I had no 4 wheel drive only 2. The lights did not work in the dash and the system was dead.
I fixed the problem by replacing the 4X4CM module that is located behind the glove compartment. The number of my old broken module that came from the factory is 1L24-7H473-AF. Ford has a updated module. The part number for the new updated one is 1L2Z-7E453-A.
I ordered the new one and took 15 minutes to replace and then everything works!! Shop around for the part since every dealership has a different price on the part.
Sounds like this is your problem!!!!!
Good Luck, John

4WD does not work

I have a 2002 4x4 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 does not work. None of the LED's (Auto, High, or Low) on the switch light up. With a volt meter, I checked to see if voltage was coming to the switch. It does & as the dimmer for the main lights are dimmed, the voltage is reduced accordingly. I accessed the switch was bad & replaced it. This was not the problem. No fuses at all are blown. A mechanic connected it to his scanner & got a code P735. This relates to 5th grear not being correct ratio. It has no 5th gear, but has an automatic transmission. He checked the grease in the crank case but levels were fine. It has only been used once or twice but the last known time it worked, all was well. Just one day when I tried to engage it, all seems totally dead. Please advise what to look for next.

I believe I've narrowed it between the 4WD control Module & the Electric Shift Motor. Can anyone help me rule one or the other out or how can I test which is bad?

Terry

4WD gone bad

My 4wd buttons quit too. Maybe happened after changing battery recently. Just now troubleshooting. No lights on buttons, no blown fuses, no engagement, no 4wd. Any advise?

Houselift, do you know what the difference between the old and new 4wd modules are? Do you know why Ford did the update? My '02 XLT's module went kaput after an accident w/front end damage and the insurance will replace it if it was accident related. I've got 50k miles on the vehicle and all of the visible damage was fixed but now, I've got the same 4wd problems you did. Nobody can seem to figure out why the module went bad? Any ideas or insights would be very helpful. Thanks, Jobewan

Low range

Aussie Explorer said:
Welcome to my world LOL> I have Auto and High range but no Low and it driving me nuts trying to figure it out

Are the lights on the dash Blown??

Is it definitely not going into 4WD Hi or Low?

Check to see if the shift motor is getting any power, it’s Underneath the truck on the T/case.

I have the same problem with my 93 Ranger. Can't get it in low range. I have replaced the t-case shift motor. I can manually put it in low range by removing the motor and turning the selector. I also replaced the switch. Have you found the problem with yours?

I agree with Houselift. I had the same problem - Only 2 wheel drive worked, no lights, no 4x4, no anything. This all seemed to happen after the battery died, so I replaced the 4x4 module behind the glovebox. It only took me 10 minutes to replace and I had 4x4 again.

On thing I did notice only after I replaced the module, when you first start the truck, there are 4x4 lights on the left side of the dash - one of them didnt light up after starting (not sure which one) but after I replaced the module, both lights come on for a couple seconds after start.

Hope this can help

Here's some follow up for what its worth. I brought my '02 4x4 XLT back to the dealer who wanted $500 to replace the module. I asked why so much and he told me the unit itself was $300 + $200 to install and re-test. I told him to hold off and searched the internet for the part. I ended up getting it for $170 and bringing the unopened box back to the dealer who after lots of whining on my part, installed and retested it for $115. It all works now - for how long, who knows.

The ONLY reason I did it this way was because I was told by 2 OTHER dealer's service techs that the new version 4x4 module had to be programmed and that could only be done with the special FORD diagnostic programming tool - a $2000 item. Apparently, the new version of the 4x4 module that comes with factory specifications MAY not be right for your car. Rather than argue, I paid my $$ and won't EVER go back to that dealer again.

RANT: So, Ford put out a bad 4x4 module in our original vehicle's that fails on a battery disconnect (mine had a battery out as well). They have since supposedly fixed the problem but issued no recall and won't warranty the failed module. To get our 4x4 functionality back, we have to buy the replacement module and pay a dealer to program in our tire sizes, and transmission data. WHAT A SCAM.

Suddenly, I am questioning my post 9/11 "buy American" philosophy. A Japanese 4x4 sure is looking mighty attractive these days.

Jobewan .... fool me once shame on you, twice shame on me.

jobewan said:
...I told him to hold off and searched the internet for the part. I ended up getting it for $170 and bringing the unopened box back to the dealer who after lots of whining on my part, installed and retested it for $115. It all works now - for how long, who knows...QUOTE]

Hi jobewan. I guess I'm not as good with Google as you are. Can you post a link to where you found the 4X4 control module on the internet?

Many thanks!

Jobwan
The battery thing makes a lot of sense on my 02 xls 4x4 problems also.
I changed the battery early this year and noticed the auto 4x4 was not working. then after checking the other selections, I noticed that no lights or 4x4 was working at all. I am guessing that the cheap a--- module is bad. I thought it was strange that all I did was changed the battery and started having this problem.
So I want to get this right. If I am to get a new module. The dealership is going to have to program it before it works. I cant just buy one and install it myself.
What sucks about this wole thing is that we bought it with 37,000mi on it. And wouldn't you know it was JUST out of warranty.
I also had the hood repainted because it had crossion around the edges. the dealership did fix it under the crossion warranty.
It is white in color and now has 42,000mi on it.
What a deal!!!! :rolleyes:
KENTEC

Warranty? Is there still some warranty coverage for an '02 XLT? Mine has 31,500 miles.

Anyone know an internet link to buy a control module?

Thanks!

How about the fuse?

RRGONE

Belive it or not there is a little warranty on it with certin parts. The corosion warranty is supposed to be for the metal eating a hole thru it. But it is a aluminum hood. My problem was the paint around the edges was having that rusted under the paint look. They said the factory did not put enough primer on it around the edges.

I checked all the fuses I can think of. My 4x4 problem started after I changed the battery.
I would still like to know about the dealership having to program the new moudle. They are so easy to change out.
KENTEC

SAME PROBLEM ON MY 02 SLS. REPLACED BATTERY ( 71,000 miles) & NO 4 BY 4. CAN GET MODULE FOR $220. Does it really have to be reprogrammed??? Any additional troubleshooting advice before buying the thing?

i had a problem with my 4x4 and dealership replaced the 4x4 module witht he updated one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ICEMAN,

Was it still under warranty?
If not, How much for repair?

KENTEC

Back