Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV

Tell you this much, I will never buy a Japanese car. :usa: :salute:

Sucks, you are missing out on a whole different world of engineering! I'll buy whatever car is best and I wont bat an eyelash as an American company flounders because of greedy Execs and complacency. Sad to admit but it seems like the only time America changes for the better is when we learn the hard way after some really rough times. The economy and our horribly managed, horribly run companies are no exception.

Do I feel loyal to this country? Yes. Do I feel like I can be shafted into buying an inferior car simply because a company is "American"? (dont get me started on how multinational the "american" car companies are) NO!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sucks, you are missing out on a whole different world of engineering! I'll buy whatever car is best and I wont bat an eyelash as an American company flounders because of greedy Execs and complacency. Sad to admit but it seems like the only time America changes for the better is when we learn the hard way after some really rough times. The economy and our horribly managed, horribly run companies are no exception.

Do I feel loyal to this country? Yes. Do I feel like I can be shafted into buying an inferior car simply because a company is "American"? (dont get me started on how multinational the "american" car companies are) NO!

OK, so you don't think Japanese car company executives are greedy at all? Inferior car? Where do you think most of the Japs get their ideas? Russia?
Horribly managed? Sure just get rid of all the UAW employees and bring in a temp service to fill in the gaps. That is what Honda does here in Ohio. IDK the actual numbers, but I would say as much as half of the employees at the Honda plant don't work for Honda. Not to mention the temporary service employees strewn throughout all of the Honda supply plants.

So you can have your Wonderfuly run Jap car company and your cheap ass Civic made by people with no benefits, marginal pay and don't give a crap about what they are building.

Yeah please state your case as to how or why cars from the American companies are "inferior"

*NOTE*This thread is getting off topic, I apologize to the original poster.

Your right the American car companies are very multinational. Unfortunately nothing in this country is truly self supporting anymore. I don't dispute that at all. However the American companies put a whole lot more back into our economy than foreign car companies. And they continue to produce a high quality vehicle. I did a little comparison, I chose half-ton trucks for this comparison since it is much easier to compare something each manufacturer only makes on model of (albeit with many variants).

The vehicles I compared where the Ford F-150 :usa: Chevrolet Silverado 1500 :usa: Honda Ridgeline :rolleyes: and Toyota Tundra. I did not compare all the features and options. I simply compiled the price, edmunds.com editor rating for 2006, edmunds.com user rating for 2006, JDPower circle rating, and max towing capacity. This is a very basic comparison, and you will probably object to it, but these are either facts or opinions of actual owners or automotive professionals.

I am not going to post the Excel file that I made but you are welcome to download it. http://rapidshare.com/users/3WIBT9 If you want a truck to do "truck stuff" clearly your decision should either be Ford or Chevrolet. From the info I have gathered that the Honda is a pathetic excuse for a truck and the Toyota is simply "average".

Eh the 3rd gens aren't far from it now. There will soon be no real Ford suv's unless you want a full size.:thumbdwn: The sport tracks have IRS like the 3rd gen x's even though they have the V8 now. What are people that want a solid axle rear SUV thats not full size??
Thats what i was going to say. My 2002 is essentially just a minivan compared to my 93. I guess this will be the final nail in the coffin for the once great explorer.

Thats what i was going to say. My 2002 is essentially just a minivan compared to my 93. I guess this will be the final nail in the coffin for the once great explorer.
At least the '02 still has nice towing & cargo capacity, which is what an SUV is for. If you don't need that, then a station wagon or minivan is all you really need.

It's not just Ford guys, SUV's have begun changing. The average buyer doesn't need or even want to go off road and unfortunately to make money you have to appeal to the masses.

I will probably never buy a Ford again, and this news just solidifies my decision. They completely and utterly have their head up their ***** as to what the RIGHT decisions are. How will this new "CUV" not cannibalize sales from the Edge and their other crappy CUVs? Ugh....

I'm hoping they'll get rid of either the Edge or the Freestyle or both. :dunno:

The Edge just came out. My guess is that they will drop the Freestyle and replace it and the already-discontinued Freestar with the new Fairlane.

They will keep the Edge as their sporty CUV because it is aerodynamically rounded like most other CUV's and appealing to a large market segment.

Then they will put an Explorer body on the Edge platform for people who want a CUV that looks like a truck, but want something bigger than the Escape.

A Bronco? I don't know, maybe a small Bronco based on the Escape platform, but I wouldn't hold my breath. R&D money must be pretty tight right now. They ahve to design for the masses.

That's my guess. Your guess is as good as mine!

Bob

Next Generation Explorer

Here's another article:

"Ford About to Face Future With Toned-Down Explorer: Doron Levin

By Doron Levin

Dec. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicle has been the Marlboro Man of personal transportation, symbolic of a tall, rugged ride on the open American road or rutted byway.

But automakers are toning down the SUV's macho spirit, partly in deference to those who say the hulking vehicles are wasteful, costly or dangerous. So the Explorer, the vehicle that ignited the SUV trend in the early 1990s, is getting a makeover.

Expect something more in touch with the reality of U.S. stop-and-go traffic and less imbued with the aura of rough and ready.

``A lot of engineering that goes into the current Explorer lets it go off-road,'' said Rebecca Lindland, automotive analyst for Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. ``If you don't need that you can make it more comfortable, easier to get in and out of, easier to steer.''

Explorer generated huge profits for Ford Motor Co. and became the best-selling SUV ever, with more than 5.7 million units sold.

In 2000, Explorer's best sales year, Ford sold 445,157 of them, which contributed to net income of $3.5 billion. That capped a five-year streak when Ford had cumulative earnings of more than $24 billion.

On the Brink

Ford now is in the midst of a desperate turnaround struggle, having lost a cumulative $7.67 billion over the last five quarters. The Explorer's fortunes have roughly tracked those of the company, and its sales were down 25 percent through the first 11 months of the year.

The public fascination with the Explorer started to fade about five years ago amid accusations that it was prone to rollover accidents, especially when equipped with Firestone tires. Ford faces several hundred lawsuits filed on behalf of accident victims and has lost at least nine multimillion dollar verdicts in connection with Explorer rollovers.

At a private exhibition last month for Ford employees and retirees, the automaker displayed a picture of the next- generation Explorer, set for production in the next two or three years.

Instead of continuing to build the Explorer on a heavy-duty frame designed for trucks, the automaker will base the new one on a smaller, lighter mechanical platform originally designed for cars made by Ford's Volvo subsidiary of Sweden.

As such, the new Explorer -- once Ford's second best-selling model after its F-Series pickup truck -- will resemble a small SUV and drive like a car. It won't be able to haul or tow as much weight as its predecessor; and drivers won't be sitting as tall in the saddle or commanding as expansive a view of the road.

Sure Footing

Yet Ford's Explorer of the future is sure to be more fuel efficient and its center of gravity will be closer to the ground, making it more stable and less prone to flip.

Though the company hasn't released detailed plans publicly, it likely will continue to manufacturer its larger Expedition SUV, built on the same chassis as an F-Series pickup truck. The Expedition will be aimed at SUV customers who need size and power to tow a boat or carry heavy loads.

Ford's decision to strike a softer tone with the new Explorer is consistent with the trend toward so-called crossovers, or SUV-like vehicles based on car platforms that started with Toyota Motor Corp.'s RAV-4 and Honda Motor Co.'s CRV. Ford's own Escape is based on the architecture of the Mazda 626 sedan (Ford owns a third of Japan's Mazda Motor Corp.).

High gasoline prices also are helping to shrink SUVs. Consumer tastes and fashions are changing as well, leading to rising interest in emerging technologies such as gas-electric hybrids in some Ford Escapes and the Toyota Prius.

Vanishing Smokestacks

In March, Ford shut an assembly plant that builds Explorers in St. Louis, one of two in the U.S. The second plant in Louisville, Kentucky, is due for production cuts in 2007.

Last year, automakers sold 1.22 million Explorer-class SUVs, a number that will fall to about 1 million this year, according to Global Insight. In five years, the market for such vehicles will be down almost 50 percent, the forecasting service predicts.

Alan Mulally, who took over as Ford's chief executive officer in early September after a long career at Boeing Co., is striving to reengineer operations. He said he wants to put as many Ford models worldwide on the fewest possible architectures to save money. Thus, Explorer will use the same undercarriage as the Ford Five Hundred sedan and Ford Freestyle crossover.

Unless Mulally can accomplish this feat, Ford can't contend with Toyota, the best automaker in the world at containing costs and expanding market share.

Mulally will have to twist arms to get Ford's workforce to go along with the changes. And as he does, the old-time Explorer will be pushed into oblivion just like the real-life cowboys.

(Doron Levin is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Doron Levin in Southfield, Michigan at dlevin5@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: December 18, 2006 00:20 EST"

I like the idea of better fuel economy, but I'd hate to give up the ride height. I feel a lot safer on the highway being able to see what's ahead and around me. The only advantage I can see for the unibody is that it may be possibel to lift it. Recall that the 3rd gen Ex can't be lifted because the rear axle shafts go through holes in the frame, thus restricting suspension travel.

Still is looks like the next Explorer will be a Freestyle with an Explorer body, and probably the 3.5L engine with the 6-speed tranny.

That's the way the market is going. Ironically, in order to save the Explorer, Ford has to kill it (or at least emascualte it):eek:

Happy Trails!

Bob

F^ck This! i dont care screw them they are trying to make an American vehicle foreign

If it can't do the rough and tumble any more then what the hell good is it ?

ya i agree they should just give the "new explorer" a new name. they should keep making the good rough and rugged explorer for the people who need them, but just prouduce less of them, thats what i would do, but i suppose ill just do the same thing and keep my 96 forever lol

so after this ford will have no big rugged SUV, so the people who actaully need them and use them, the buyers will buy some other brand, does toyota still make a beefy SUV? i think doing this is just gonna keep driving ford into a bigger hole....

Well, guys, that's it.. The party is nearly over.:salute:
It's been fun.
*starts stacking up the chairs*

They have been heading this way since the '02 model now. I don't see this as a surprise at all. I agree with Jefe about getting rid of the other 2 they already have though.

On the brighter side, the Gen2's will be more of a coveted item for those who do trail riding

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 "hits the spot" in terms of usability and "utility" - hence the term sport utility vehicle. By going the route of the "cuv" I may have to look at another vendor for my on-road + on-trail ride in the future (I miss my ole BroncoII)

I do have an 06 EB and quite frankly, it's NOT anywhere near the capabilities of my 99 sport. Sure it rides nice. Sure it's a little more miserly in terms of fuel consumption. But it feels like it's going to break something. Too much plastic. Everything is too cushy. I went to my favorite campgrounds once and thats probably the last time its going to go off-pavement.

Now my mom drives the 06 :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't think buying Ford is a good idea, but I could see a cottage industry in buying old Explorers and refurbishing them, or maybe designing a Ranger-to-Explorer conversion.

Jeep is doing the same thing: The new Compass and Patriot are built on the Dodge Caliber platform.

Ford will still have the Expedition for those who need to tow, but its too big of off road and the next spike in gas prices will kill it too.

Fuel economy and soccer-mom-comfort is the game now. All of the manufacturers will be building cars that only look like trucks, mainly because no one wants to drive something that looks like a minivan or station wagon.

Bob

Back