What do you want to see in the Towing section? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you want to see in the Towing section?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing that comes to mind is how to wire up for trailer lights, I see that question ALOT

I used a spare tail light wiring harness from a donor Explorer, i gave me a plug that I could use to make my trailer wiring harness plug n play, similar to what U Haul would sell

F-150 leaf spring mod
Shock suggestions
hitch suggestions
brake upgrades
trans cooling upgrades and gages
electronic brake controllers
Sway bar upgrades

trailer types (trailer surge brakes, e brakes, no brakes), towing capacities (engine and trans, Explorer Gen's), gearing, mmmmmmmm thats about it off the top of my head

The first thing that comes to mind is how to wire up for trailer lights, I see that question ALOT

F-150 leaf spring mod
Shock suggestions
hitch suggestions
brake upgrades
trans cooling upgrades and gages
electronic brake controllers
Sway bar upgrades

trailer types (trailer surge brakes, e brakes, no brakes), towing capacities (engine and trans, Explorer Gen's), gearing, mmmmmmmm thats about it off the top of my head

Thanks for the input. I searched and found a few threads and moved them in here.

I stickied a link to the F150 leaf spring mod and hitch suggestions.

Brake and shock upgrades I don't really know where to look to get info, everyone has opinions, no general consensus.

Ill be working on the other suggestions. I didn't think of some of those.

Keep the suggestions comming.

Congratulations for being the new moderator! Some good articles would be how to install a power winch with a dual battery, how to connect towing accessories, connecting frame, and bumper mounted towing hitch hook ups (with different classes), safety precautions, and maximum capacities for different years (so you don't burn out the transmissions, and differentials).

How will it be different than the information in the Ford Spec section?

The Ford Spec section is largely incomplete when it comes to towing capacities. I believe it only lists 97-2000. It also doesn't take in to account gear ratios or auto or manual trans, both of which affect towing capacities greatly.

The Ford Spec section is largely incomplete when it comes to towing capacities. I believe it only lists 97-2000. It also doesn't take in to account gear ratios or auto or manual trans, both of which affect towing capacities greatly.

Also towing in OD or locking it out.

Hey that signature that you got about camshafts is great. But duration ranks right up there. Add in a little split overlap and you got her salavating. Don't forget the grind also. Hey they don't call it the "bumpstick for nothin".
Some of you yougins just need to seek the advice of a professional once and awhile. :D

Here is a sample of what I have come up with for capacities. The think that stinks is every year varies a little, I am going to have to make a chart for every year. This is for the 1997 year model.

Attachments

• Capacities 1997.jpg
    Capacities 1997.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,579

I posted 97-01, stickied in the towing section. I pulled the factory manuals from the fleet.ford.com website for my data. I downloaded each of them and put the data in the charts, it didn't differentiate between transmissions.

Another odd thing, the manuals online didn't give capacities for the 2002 year model and above. I am going to have to find a source for that information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back