4.0 OHV into 4.0 24v COSWORTH | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV into 4.0 24v COSWORTH

As the topic. It's based upon a 93:ish 4.0 bottom end and the rest of the bits are from a 2.9i 24v BOB cosworth. Just missing a few bits to be able to put it all togehter. But here are a few old pics from how a few bits fit together.

15.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, did find a really cheap SOCH, maybe I'll pick that one up and have a closer look at it...... Besides, it's 207bhp enigne, maybe it just need some breathing help, 2xTT conversion might help it a bit.... It's getting to many projects in the garage soon,
4.0 cosworth N/A
2.9 TT cosworth
3.5 BMW N/A
2.0 Pinto turbo with dual spark.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

How are things coming along???

Buying the car for the engine on saturday if everything goes as planned, it only weights 1210kg, so 0-60mph should be wrooooom. The head gaskets have been cut, still waiting for the copper for the firerings. Did never buy that SOCH, I got enough to do anyway. Got a slide inlet under construction, I have also bought a set of bigger injectors. Getting the pipes for the headers and exhaust next week. 42mm inside diameter, 60cm long, baffle collector, 2.5" from collector to where the sides meet up and then a 3" single pipe to the rear. Still need to find 6 air filters of correct size. Also thought of buying other springs and shockers for the car and also poly bushes all around. But maybe I should wait with this until I got the car rolling with the engine. I'll make some updates when I got some new pictures....

Talks about a engine rebuild. Man, I'd be scared to death starting that thing up for the first time. Might end up smashing an atom or something.

Talks about a engine rebuild. Man, I'd be scared to death starting that thing up for the first time. Might end up smashing an atom or something.

No worries... It will run nice without any problems:D I hope..... I just hope that the bottom end is up to the job. The parts in it is not as strong as the 2.9 cosworth bits.... Time will tell...

Did some work on it yesterday.

If someone got a set of SOCH rods for sale let me know, I really need them I think...

You must be kidding?

Wise guy, I don't need that kind of posting....

I recently found out that they are no stronger then the ohv ones. I am not familiar with the SOCH at all, never seen one, I've just heard that it was supposed to have better internals. Got some other stronger rods now. But I would like to buy a SOCH oil pan and oil pick up...... And I am not kidding.....

He means about the spelling...

It's Single Over-Head Cam or SOHC... but the rest of us know what you mean.

I think what he meant is the SOHC doesnt use push rods

"rods" in this case likely doesnt refer to rocker arm pushrods.

Be careful when using SOHC internals in the OHV the pistons will really increase the compression ratio, I dont know all the details but its something to research

the SOHC oil pan and windage tray have main bearing supports built in for the block I believe, you will need the pan and pickup tube, not sure what else is needed to bolt it on if anything

SOHC parts

Hi tobbe,
just ran acrossed your post and I really nead to chat.
I have been working on a cosworth SOHC combination for over two years and
love to see others with the same interest.If there is any parts or info I can help you with send me a e-mail or post a reply.

It's great to see someone thinking out of the box Tobbe. Can't wait to hear how it all works out for you.

Good luck with the project:chug:

cosy stuff

Thank's for getting back to me.
I am kinda slambed at the shop today so I dont have time to chat right now .
I will deffinitely be in touch.I have alot of questions.

Got me a set of these,
stakar.jpg

And I have also increased the bore a bit.......

cosy stuff

Hey Tobbe,
Thats great you got the rods,They look like an Eagle H beam.The loook plenty strong but a little heavy.The rods I have been using are I beam C&A,
about 540 grams.We have the made special and are about 120.00 a rod.US.
It,s great you have the pieces to move forward on your project.Would really like to see it come together and what kind of HP you get out of it.I am still working on the BOA setup But am finding out why The BOB heads are the better choice.I picked up the PushRod block because of how many changes we would of had to make to the heads to make them work on a SOHC block.
If I get a hold of your friend I will be better off than if I try to get more parts and info from Cosy.

subscribing. This is way too cool not to keep up on!

Getting closer every day now:D

kolven.jpg

The rods are Procomp 6" for chevy SB, modified to accept ford crank and rod bearing and also a 24.005mm wrist pin (not stock pin).

The wrist pin is custom made out of 4340 steel, 61-62 HRC hard.... (try to kill it with a hammer and you'll see which of them will break first;) )

The piston is of own design, cr 10:1

Cory, I won't be reving much more then 6000rpm so Don't worry about the weight, the engine will be boosted in the future so the bottom end is be built for that. There is enought material in the piston heads to decrease the CR.... By the way, was Dave able to help you?

Are those lifters in the top pic, or just dummies installed for the purpose of filling the holes? I thought this was a DOHC project...:p:

Back