MyNameIsAric's 98 FULL width SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MyNameIsAric's 98 FULL width SAS

I will keep this first post updated with my progress so people don't have to weed through all the boring crap associated with these buildup threads.
So far I have:

Front axle:
Dana 60 35 spline kingpin high pinion from a 79 f-250/350
detroit locker
dedenbear knuckles
5.38 gears
alloy usa shafts
longfield u-joints
warn hubs (should have went with drive flanges)
high steer arms with full hydraulic steering

Steering:
2x8 double ended cylinder from surpluscenter.com
steering valve out of an old forklift
misc. hoses and fittings from surpluscenter.com

Rear axle:
Dana 60 30 spline low pinion from a 79 f-250/350 (should have went with a 14 bolt)
full spool
5.38 gears
Disk brake conversion

Tires/wheels:
16.5" hummer h1 8 bolt double beadlocks recentered with custom stazworks centers.
36x12.50 wrangler rt II 6 ply military bias tires(sucky but cheap)

Things I need still:
new rims and tires and hopefully she wont shake so bad at 60mph.

Got axles
IMG_0923.jpg

Got a new truck so i can dismantle the explorer and tow it around when i'm done.
Welded Diff covers
IMG_1817_1_.jpg

PIC-0127.jpg

Rear axle almost done
IMG_1818_1_.jpg

PIC-0124.jpg

Front axle almost done
IMG_1819_1_.jpg

Rear axle under truck
PIC-0183.jpg

Welding up rear driveshaft (yes, it is square)
Photo-0059.jpg

Photo-0058.jpg

Machined parts for the upper control arms
Photo-0060.jpg

Photo-0061.jpg

Photo-0062.jpg

Photo-0067.jpg

Photo-0069.jpg

Made coil buckets
Photo-0068.jpg

Made lower control links
Photo-0070.jpg

Photo-0072.jpg

Photo-0073.jpg

Photo-0074.jpg

Mocking up Front axle and welded up hydraulic ram mount.
Photo-0076.jpg

Photo-0077.jpg

Photo-0078.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Photo-0083.jpg

Got myself a forklift orbital for my hydraulic steering
Photo-0084.jpg

Photo-0085.jpg

welded on lower control arm mounts
Photo-0093.jpg

Dropped the front IFS
Photo-0094.jpg

Sent it to the scrap yard
Photo-0096.jpg

IFS gone
Photo-0097.jpg

Front axle starting to go in.
Photo-0102.jpg

Photo-0105.jpg

Photo-0104.jpg

off jackstands
DSC00186.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

Photo-0106.jpg

Took out the A/C system and cruise control. Also removed ABS brake controller, but I ended up having to put it back in later for the speedo to work.
DSC00193.jpg

Mounted new/slightly larger fluid reservoir for the hydro system.
Photo-0271.jpg

Mounted the stock power steering cooler for the hydro system
Photo-0272.jpg

Got this mounted in the engine bay where the A/C junk used to be
Photo-0085.jpg

Had to chop down this thing first though.
Photo-0275.jpg

Made some tie rods out of 100% grade A beef.
Photo-0280.jpg

Installed hydraulic ram and tie rods.
Photo-0301.jpg

View of the filter, and you can see the high pressure hose running from the pump down to the steering valve.
Photo-0302.jpg

This is how i connected the stock steering wheel to the steering valve. 3/8" swivel
Photo-0304.jpg

Better view of the steering valve.
Photo-0306.jpg

Poor planning caused track bar issues
Photo-0307.jpg

Made a new track bar bracket
Photo-0311.jpg

Cut off first track bar bracket
Photo-0320.jpg

Plated for good measure
Photo-0321.jpg

Welded on new track bar bracket. Still had minor interference so i move the axle forward another 1/2"
Also started putting on shocks.
Photo-0352.jpg

Photo-0356.jpg

Photo-0357.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

Tacked a tone ring to the rear d60 carrier
Photo-0360.jpg

Reinstalled tone ring sensor so i can get speedometer back
Photo-0361.jpg

blah blah blah tidied things up and poof.... an explorer that can only go 55mph now. If you have questions, just ask or PM me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is SCEEPS bronco in the pictures

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

thanks burns, but i have a rear 60, i'm looking for a front 60. I'm finding out if a guy on one of the local forums still has his 60 set for sell. he wanted 1k for both 60's. then i just have to deal with selling off the axles i dont need.

oops, sent you a pm before i saw your last post.

My dad is going to kill me. I'm getting a front and rear dana 60 and 8 rims and tires for 1k on sunday..... there is no room in the garage for this stuff, so i'm going to have to start selling the stuff i'm not using asap. i'll have a total of 12 rims and tires. 4 of which are 16.5 x 10(too wide for me) i think another 4 that i'm getting are 16.5x10 also, and the other 4 i dont know about. hopefully i can sell em off and make a itty bit of money off of em. as far as i know, none of em have good tread. i know the 4 i already have are at about 20-30% tread life, and one is severely worn on one side to about 0% tread life.

anybody know how to get rid of a bunch of rims and tires? if any of the 8 i'm getting are 16.5 x 8... i'll keep em and clean em up, but i don't know if i'll be that lucky.

scrap the wheels and ditch the tires in the woods.

ebay, craigslist, any/local 4x4 forum, classifieds in the paper etc

My dad is going to kill me. I'm getting a front and rear dana 60 and 8 rims and tires for 1k on sunday..... there is no room in the garage for this stuff, so i'm going to have to start selling the stuff i'm not using asap. i'll have a total of 12 rims and tires. 4 of which are 16.5 x 10(too wide for me) i think another 4 that i'm getting are 16.5x10 also, and the other 4 i dont know about. hopefully i can sell em off and make a itty bit of money off of em. as far as i know, none of em have good tread. i know the 4 i already have are at about 20-30% tread life, and one is severely worn on one side to about 0% tread life.

anybody know how to get rid of a bunch of rims and tires? if any of the 8 i'm getting are 16.5 x 8... i'll keep em and clean em up, but i don't know if i'll be that lucky.

I wouldnt run a 16.5 unless they are hummer beadlocks. 16.5 dont have the safety bead, so you loose tires when aired down reallly fast

thanks for that tip, i did not know that. i want to run hummer beadlocks or a regular rim with staun beadlocks. will they hold a bead with stauns>?

dude run 16 inch rim the tires/wheels are cheeper....

there is another local guy selling hummer wheels for 25 each, so i'm going to pick up 4 or 5 and get them recentered. knocks out running a bfg, so i guess i'll just have to use a radial super swamper... oh well :D

Do you know if they are 8 bolt or 12 bolt? If they are 12 bolt could you pick me up 5? I'll paypal ya the money, or send you a money order on the 28th.

dude run 16 inch rim the tires/wheels are cheeper....

I wish I had whatever your on. 15"s are the most common size and therefore the cheapest. Every size up the tires get more expensive.

If you talking about hummer wheels then yourr right, but they are 16.5" rim, not to be confused with the 16"

i know hummer wheels are 16.5...super swamper tsl radials 36X12.50X16.5 are $192 a pop...

Where from? i'm thinking about 38's with 6" lift coils from jeffs broncograveyard. I think that will be the upper limit of how big i can go for the wheeling around here. (tight wooded trails). i'm already going to be super wide and have a tough time just trying to fit some trails, but i think it will be worth it. I mean if wheeling was as easy as driving on the road.... it wouldnt be any fun.

on pirate there are some good deals from vendors. also tyres1.com is a great place too.

yeah, but the RADIAL(this is going to be a daily driver) tsl in a 38 is $333:roll:

o sorry ...just keep lookin...they are out there:thumbsup:

Back