Dana 44 and 3 link install | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 and 3 link install

Since the AZ wheeling season is finally upon us, I decided it was time to put my new truck in the shop for a little tweaking to better handle the trails around here. A little about what I started with:
97Picture_189-med.jpg

Specs: 5 speed, manual tcase, 5.13's, discs and no slip in rear, 37 MTR's(street) and 36 TSL's(rocks).

The goal for this project was to build something that was able to drive to the hardest trails in AZ, run them successfully, and then drive home. It must also be able to be driven everyday as this is my main source of transportation. All decisions were made with a bias towards trail performance, instead of street comfort.

Build Specs:

Dana 44 - Left over from my last project.
- Warn shafts, CTM's, Detroit, 5.13's, Hi-steer setup, etc.
King Coilovers - 14" travel, 2" body
King Airbumps - 4" travel
Custom 3 link w/ panhard rod

All fabrication work is being performed by 4 Wheelers Supply here in Phoenix.

Work started Monday. Progress as of lunch today.
64DSC00705.jpg

Old front end has been stripped out, frame rail have been ground smooth in preperation for reinforcement plating, axle location has been determined, ride height is set. Items in the engine compartment have been relocated in preperation for the shock hoops and the crossbar that will connect them across the engine bay(next two pics).
64DSC00708.jpg

64DSC00707.jpg

I hope to stop in again at the shop Tues or Wed next week (it is a 45 drive away) and have better progress pics of the actual layout of the links, as well as the hoops for the coilovers.

Estimated completion date is sometime the first week of December.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It performed flawlessly. 75+mph on the freeway to and from the trail, and did everything I wanted it to on the trail itself.

I did manage to smoke the clutch though. I think a hand throttle will help, but it really needs a little more low range to crawl as slowly as I would like.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice photos. Looked like a fun trip. Every one took a bit of carnage I see. Looks like you got the madain voyage out of the way, so does that mean we will see you at truckhaven for new years? Next winter I will be ready for an AZ trip hope you guys are up for leading me around your backyard.

Couldnt wait to dent her up either I see.. LOL.. I promised I wouldnt Cry and I didnt.. LOL. Damn You manged to Smoke that Centerforce? And what did you do to the hatch glass?

He did a Rick!!! He backed into his garage with the window open and shattered the glass. That's EXACTLY how I busted mine.... DOH!!! At least his hinges didn't dent the heck out of the door like mine did:rolleyes: I had to replace the entire back door.

JUst cut the roof off instead of replacing the rear glass. It will get cut in 6 months anyway so you might as well get an early start :D

RockRanger said:
JUst cut the roof off instead of replacing the rear glass. It will get cut in 6 months anyway so you might as well get an early start :D

I gotta drive it everyday right now, and it will get hot here again in another month, so the roof stays. Junkyard glass is cheap, you just have to have time to go get it :rolleyes:, I should probably pick up some extra taillights too :D .

New Years at Truckhaven still won't happen for me. The truck is scheduled back in the fab shop for sliders and a once over of all the work that they did already on the 28-30 of Dec. Too much going on, not enough time. Feb for sure though.

Sorry Kris, I told you when I bought it that it would never be straight again. You know my drive by braile style of wheeling. Actually Char and I took great pains to keep the damage to a minimum. There is one spot on Terminator that pivoting around a huge rock on your sliders is almost mandatory. Since I have none, it would have peeled the drivers side doors off. We worked that for a long time, with an audience of jeep guys, and only got the damage you see. So it was all a perfectly executed plan ;) .

LOL I have Extra Glass too.. LOL Yeah I knew with the way you drive there will be more then dents..

Kris

Michael said:
I gotta drive it everyday right now, and it will get hot here again in another month, so the roof stays. Junkyard glass is cheap, you just have to have time to go get it :rolleyes:, I should probably pick up some extra taillights too :D .

I have extra glass and brand new in the box taillights. Let me know. Probably do 10.00 on the glass and 25.00 each on the taillights.

Great pictures guys. And to think that truck was a slammed 2wd at one time when I owned it! Those tires were also mine. They were on the big arse purple explorer I built a couple years ago.

Michael said:
And when are we going to see a Dana 60 install? :thumbsup:

As soon as you send me your donation check... :'(

Seriously though, your truck looks sweet. Can't wait to see it in person!

Awesome! Here I am researching for my full-width axle swap and I feel like my manhood just shrunk 4 inches. :p can`t look anymore.

E'hem... :p:

I'm sure you have more pictures of it than I do. I'll get some the next time it is out, it hasn't been off the trailer since truckhaven.:(

What size are the heims on the upper link?
What spring rate in the coils?
Did you have to re-locate the battery?

What size are the heims on the upper link?
What spring rate in the coils?
Did you have to re-locate the battery?

3/4"

250/350

No. The air intake had to be redone though to make room for the upper hoops and engine brace.

Tom has that video of you coming down that hill that you flexed quite a bit. I belive there is a bit of it in my '07 T-haven movie as well.;)

Were the reason for the smaller size:
A) Strength not as much of a factor on upper links
B) Cost (knowing you - I doubt it ;) )
C) Space constraints
D) All of the above

I'm wondering because I'd ideally prefer to be able to carry only one set of spare heims as opposed to two.

How do you like the ride? Would you recommend softer / stronger coils, or is it perfect as is?

Were the reason for the smaller size:
A) Strength not as much of a factor on upper links
B) Cost (knowing you - I doubt it ;) )
C) Space constraints
D) All of the above

I'm wondering because I'd ideally prefer to be able to carry only one set of spare heims as opposed to two.

How do you like the ride? Would you recommend softer / stronger coils, or is it perfect as is?

A) gotta be a strength thing. The link is made of 7075 AL so it is not a strong as the doubled up DOM lowers. I doubt it needs to be any stronger.

B) :D ;)

C) not really, we cut out what was in the way and moved other stuff around.

D):dunno:

I don't carry spare heims, probably should but I haven't bought any yet. Ride has been perfect so far in the rocks, desert and highway. It remains to be seen how it does in the throttle happy Texas wheelin, but I suspect it will be okay. Remind me next time we get together and I'll drive it so you can ride in it/drive it and see if you like it.

Michael,
I have a 96' Explorer with some mods but no SAS...yet. Can you tell me more about your D44...Where you got it, what mods, was it cut down, etc.

My Explorer has been lifted, regeared to 4.56 with 33" tires. I have the original IFS front end. The rear diff has an Eaton e-locker...real nice. This past hunting season, I found a rock and bent the frame crossmember so, it's either spend money putting that IFS junk back in play or step up and do the SAS.

Any recommendations on Axles? which way to go (coil or leaf vs. cost vs. capability). This is only a hunting off-road vehicle, so I don't need it everyday. Just need to get to my offroad sites and get home in one piece.

Thanks,

Michael,
I have a 96' Explorer with some mods but no SAS...yet. Can you tell me more about your D44...Where you got it, what mods, was it cut down, etc.

I got the bare housing a few years ago off ebay for $50.00. It is a 76 early bronco Dana 44. It is already the right width for an explorer w/o being cut down. It was built with Warn axle shafts, CTM U joints, detroit locker, crane knuckles, BTF high steer arms, and a chevy disk brake setup.

My Explorer has been lifted, regeared to 4.56 with 33" tires. I have the original IFS front end. The rear diff has an Eaton e-locker...real nice. This past hunting season, I found a rock and bent the frame crossmember so, it's either spend money putting that IFS junk back in play or step up and do the SAS.

Any recommendations on Axles? which way to go (coil or leaf vs. cost vs. capability). This is only a hunting off-road vehicle, so I don't need it everyday. Just need to get to my offroad sites and get home in one piece.

Thanks,

For what you are doing, get another crossmember from a junkyard and fix what you have. It will be cheaper in the long run. If you decide you want to do the swap, check out Stico's swap or Section 525's swap. Both work really well on the later model year trucks.

Michael, got a couple questions for ya.

Is your front axle moved forward at all?

How much space is between your upper coilover mount and the master cylinder?

I ask because i'm in the middle of redoing my upper c/o mounts which is very similar to yours and my big hurdle is the master cylinder being right in the way. I could move my axle forward an inch but that means either moving or making new hoops which i'd rather not do.

Thanks,
Dave

Back